Central by-election

Staney Dale

Good to see six candidates willing to put their necks on the line in the Central ward. Mind, they are safe the knowledge they can escape in six months if they choose. Don't know any of them personally but from what I've seen of them I rate Davy Sandison and Robert Williamson. Good on them all though - it's a hard time to be a Councillor.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/2348-six-to-stand-in-by-election.html

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the kicking Scalloway has taken from the SIC and similar local public bodies of late, its kinda surprising there aren't more local to Scalloway, for the want of a better term, "working class" candidates.

The usual suspects, who've been rejected in the past, and professional paper shufflers are fine and well, but IMHO its having too many of those in the ranks already that has made the council the mess it is.

A council, IMHO, should be a representative cross section of the society it represents, it never has been, certainly isn't right now, and regardless who gets in, its hardly likely to improve the status quo. Good luck to whoever gets it though, I await to be surprised.....

Seems very unfair to label it usual suspects and "professional paper shufflers". There are at least a couple of candidates who are already active and respected in the community, who offer a fair reflection of the people.

Regarding the working class comment, the pay probably isn't enough for most to justify the extra workload.

i know two of them and they areboth very good men who want the best for shetland. scotty is a very honest and open man and is verydown to earth. robert is a very experianced trade union rep who know how the council functions. im sure the othe 4 are equally committed. is it not what people want diffrent views.

I'm puzzled why Scotty Dyble changed his surname. It might not be a big deal to some but it just seems a rather odd thing to do and kinda undermines his credibility which is a shame because I share his vision of an independant Shetland.

I was hoping for better from David Sandison but feel that his box pop was very poor and lacked any substance. However, on balance I hope he would make a decent councillor.

Having said this though, for me it would be:

1st Robert Williamson

2nd Scotty Dyble

3rd David Sandison.

4th Steven Morgan

5th Clive Richardson

6th Ian Scott

It's going to be very interesting but you have to remember that for 5 months at least they'll come up against the SIC Machine which has wilted most councillors for about the past 3-4 elections.

Seems very unfair to label it usual suspects and "professional paper shufflers". There are at least a couple of candidates who are already active and respected in the community, who offer a fair reflection of the people.

Regarding the working class comment, the pay probably isn't enough for most to justify the extra workload.

I wasn't insinuating that "usual suspects" and/or "paper shufflers" were all that there was, nor necessarily that they were a bad thing. Just that the choice seemed extremely limited beyond that, given how recent SIC etc "decisions" have (detrimentally??) affected right across all walks of Scalloway and Central Mainland life.

Scott and Dyble have both had their names on voting papers before, hence "usual suspects". Their brand of politics found little favour before, it may do so now given that times have moved ahead, but realistically probably not. Sandison has been in charge of a desk in an office for quite some years, and so has Morgan, with the council, hence "paper shufflers". They may well be good people, but considering how "paper shufflers", expecially ex-council ones, have performed on the council to date, ain't it time something different was tried. Their likes have hardly excelled themselves so far....

Which leaves two, Williamson and Richardson. The former may well be a good man too, but is a pro-active union man a good idea as a rep in the Toon Haa serving Central Mainland and Shetland interests ....The latter, well, who knows, an unknown, who has had little to say so far....bit like buying something sight unseen there....

Not really a candidate which jumps out as the "ideal" (wo)man there, is there.... Like I said, a bit surprising and disappointing given the bum rap that's been shunted on the village by the current rulers in the big city o' Lerook.

I wasn't insinuating that "usual suspects" and/or "paper shufflers" were all that there was, nor necessarily that they were a bad thing. Just that the choice seemed extremely limited beyond that, given how recent SIC etc "decisions" have (detrimentally??) affected right across all walks of Scalloway and Central Mainland life.

Scott and Dyble have both had their names on voting papers before, hence "usual suspects". Their brand of politics found little favour before, it may do so now given that times have moved ahead, but realistically probably not. Sandison has been in charge of a desk in an office for quite some years, and so has Morgan, with the council, hence "paper shufflers". They may well be good people, but considering how "paper shufflers", expecially ex-council ones, have performed on the council to date, ain't it time something different was tried. Their likes have hardly excelled themselves so far....

Which leaves two, Williamson and Richardson. The former may well be a good man too, but is a pro-active union man a good idea as a rep in the Toon Haa serving Central Mainland and Shetland interests ....The latter, well, who knows, an unknown, who has had little to say so far....bit like buying something sight unseen there....

Not really a candidate which jumps out as the "ideal" (wo)man there, is there.... Like I said, a bit surprising and disappointing given the bum rap that's been shunted on the village by the current rulers in the big city o' Lerook.

I just find the paper shuffler label incredibly flippant. I can't speak for Morgan but I know Sandison already does a lot in Scalloway - chairing the community council, regularly volunteering in the local boating club and even managing the junior football teams.

It's also strange that you'd criticise a union leader given your comments about working class candidates.

It's easy to look at past job titles and make swift judgements but I'm confident a few of these people have the experience required to properly represent the area.

Not sure how anybody living in Scalloway could not know Davie Sandison. He's already on the Community Council, along with just about every other committee going.

As I have had no reason to attend the Community Council

or any other committe inthe past 30 years.

I can name none of them. hjasga

Not sure how anybody living in Scalloway could not know Davie Sandison. He's already on the Community Council, along with just about every other committee going.

As I have had no reason to attend the Community Council

or any other committe inthe past 30 years.

I can name none of them. hjasga

I find that quite a shame if I'm totally honest. I thought they had a bigger community presence than that.