Central by-election

Staney Dale

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find the paper shuffler label incredibly flippant. I can't speak for Morgan but I know Sandison already does a lot in Scalloway - chairing the community council, regularly volunteering in the local boating club and even managing the junior football teams.

Well, that's good, he encourages and assists in local recreational activities, question though is, while he may help Scalloway play, is he going to be any help to Scalloway working and sleeping soundly.

It's also strange that you'd criticise a union leader given your comments about working class candidates.

I find it very reasonable, I recall the 70's and the sh*t storm the unions caused. I am highly suspicious of unions, they were an unfortunate necessity when they were started, and while they succeeded in their given task, they didn't know when to quit while they were ahead, and ended up being as much of an enemy of their "members" as the bosses had been to the same people when they were "employees".

I'm still to be convinced that unions have realised where their role and place in the big picture is, despite legislation and past implosion.

It's easy to look at past job titles and make swift judgements but I'm confident a few of these people have the experience required to properly represent the area.

They may have the experience, but do they have the perspective, vision or savvy.

Not sure how anybody living in Scalloway could not know Davie Sandison.
Hard to miss the guy, he does pop up everywhere in both voluntary and professional capacities.

Yes. I'll be quite surprised if Davie is not elected.

You're probably right. However only time will tell whether he got the job because he was right for it, or whether he was the lesser evil of the bunch.

Really I'd have much preferred to have seen someone with a track record of inspiration and invention in their own right, and a reputation for getting things done, to be getting in there. But hey, that's maybe not what the electorate of the area think, so be it.

I could see what Ghostrider was saying in his previous posts about "paper shufflers" etc.

As mentioned Mr Sandison's box pop was pretty unimaginative and bland to say the least. "Working with existing officers(sic)" etc, etc....

I wouldn't want to see a fire brand but it would've been good to see someone showing a bit of passion for Shetland/Scalloway.

As for the Unions GR is right - they just didn't know when to stop and although I hate Thatcherism when I read letters in the STimes about "comrades" I just swiftly move on.....

There's a lot of talk about Scalloway in this election, but remember that Central captures a much larger area than just Scalloway.

If I'm not mistaken, Tingwall, Burra, Nesting and white dale or ness all form part of that area.

Of course, but I'm personally only able to pass comment on activities in Scalloway as it's the area I'm familiar with.

Davie's decision to run was, from what I read in the Times, a bit of a last minute decision so that might explain the underdeveloped box/vox pop.

I certainly preferred it to the wishy-washy idealisms of Scott or Dyble/Van der Tol.

There's a lot of talk about Scalloway in this election, but remember that Central captures a much larger area than just Scalloway.

If I'm not mistaken, Tingwall, Burra, Nesting and white dale or ness all form part of that area.

It covers the aresa from the southend of Burra to the South Nesting junction, bot not any part of Nesting, which is part of the North costituency. The western boundary runs along the top of Wormadale.

However Tingwall is in the same community council area as Whiteness and Weisdale.