If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you wouldn't have a problem with a French citizen, born and raised in France, whose parents were born and raised in France, who could only speak French, and who only learned where Shetland was last week, coming off the boat one day and voting on Shetland's future?

Why would you think that

Guest posiedon
Dratsy

And just like most democracies in the world residency does not confer rights of citizenship that would have to be applied for

So what are you suggesting? Someone born in England [uk] Would have to apply for residency in Shetland [uK]? Or is it just East Europeans you're bigoted against?
if you break the laws of Shetland you would be deported back to where you came from
Shetland doesn't have laws, the UK has laws and Scotland has a few that are a bit different to England and Wales, but Shetland laws :?

I wonder how Shetland would fare if all the "incomers" left tomorrow?

The NHS, education, and fish producers are just three areas that spring to mind.

I take it you wouldn't have a problem with a French citizen, born and raised in France, whose parents were born and raised in France, who could only speak French, and who only learned where Shetland was last week, coming off the boat one day and voting on Shetland's future?

Why would you think that

they could get a HA house and rent it out to the Grandparents of future voters, this is getting good.

Dunno about the conflicts of interest when I have 2 votes, getting better.

8)

Why would you think that

If our hypothetical Frenchman had a set of grandparents from Shetland, and was living in Shetland, he'd have a vote under the rules you've proposed. Or are you going to claim that you really meant something else again?

right by your terms your pure shetlander/ their family could have been off island for 50-70 years and they would have more rights than someone who has worked in shetland for 40 years.

if your trying to say that a none resident shetlander would have more rights than a land owning incomer then you don't under common law.

what you saying is that the population of shetland could be out voted by none resident none islanders. what you don't get my little zenophobic friend is we choose to live here whilst you being born here just indicates that your parents were resident at your birth. if you choose to live here how does that make you diffrent from us nasty southerners. its better that a future shetland contains people that want to be here. rather than those forced to be here by accident of birth.

Dratsy

And just like most democracies in the world residency does not confer rights of citizenship that would have to be applied for

So what are you suggesting? Someone born in England [uk] Would have to apply for residency in Shetland [uK]? Or is it just East Europeans you're bigoted against?

If Shetland votes to break with the UK then yes you would have to apply for a visa to stay here, and where have I ever shown bigotry against eastern europeans I just have a healthy dislike of scumbags wherever they come from

if you break the laws of Shetland you would be deported back to where you came from
Shetland doesn't have laws, the UK has laws and Scotland has a few that are a bit different to England and Wales, but Shetland laws :?

If Shetland breaks from the UK then Shetland would have its own laws

I wonder how Shetland would fare if all the "incomers" left tomorrow?

The NHS, education, and fish producers are just three areas that spring to mind.

I have edited this to put my replys in bold to save any confusion

right by your terms your pure shetlander/ their family could have been off island for 50-70 years and they would have more rights than someone who has worked in shetland for 40 years.

if your trying to say that a none resident shetlander would have more rights than a land owning incomer then you don't under common law.

what you saying is that the population of shetland could be out voted by none resident none islanders. what you don't get my little zenophobic friend is we choose to live here whilst you being born here just indicates that your parents were resident at your birth. if you choose to live here how does that make you diffrent from us nasty southerners. its better that a future shetland contains people that want to be here. rather than those forced to be here by accident of birth.

As is typical of idiots everywhere you only see or read what you want to see or read so I will direct you to my earlier statement for the 2nd time

inky if you don't live here you don't get a vote but I suspect you knew that's what I meant anyway

there is no point discussing this subject any further with idiots so I won't bother

And if you accuse me of being racist or xenophobic or whatever once more then I will call you on it paul

When it comes to a vote on independence I am of the opinion that you should be able to prove at least one set of grand parents are from Shetland. A solid link to Shetlands past before you get a vote on Shetlands future

Yea Yea on that I get a vote. :P

BUT WAIT,

What if the grandparents were the only link? Their parents and grandparents my be from elsewhere, not really a solid link to Shetlands past, say, like a fiddle player on UNST.