If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do feel it would be a bit unfair if someone who has just arrived off the boat or plane "seeking the good life" in Shetland was then allowed to vote on such a historic issue.

I also wouldn't want to be disrespectful to the many people who have settled here and for whom Shetland is now their home so perhaps it could be open to those who have lived here for over 5 years.

I do wish people would stop dragging up the old "norse" chesnut in their arguments. 99% of Shetlanders(me included) understand that Shetland is made up of different roots while feeling the strongest affinity to the norse side.

In cold reality, I suspect that the folk of Shetland are too "thick" and scared to vote for Shetland independance or even a return to Norway so we'll likely just get sucked down the plug hole with Scotland.....

Seriously though, a 'five year' rule would sound sensible to me.

I don't see why anyone who has grafted for years on Shetland should be denied the right to have a say in Shetlands future, whilst some home-grown halfwit who kicks his own front door in every week and who has sponged off the State for thirty years should take precedence in the decision making process purely because of some airy fairy notion of being a 'true Shetlander'. That is pure romanticised (and backward) guff IMO.

Going off at a tangent, Kavi. I've noticed that you allude to a 'return' to Norway. But surely it would be a return to Denmark - as Christian I was a Danish king who had ruled Norway under the Kalmar Union as a non autonomous State when Shetland was 'handed over'. So any returning must logically be to Denmark as our closest ally? :?

Shetland unfortunately has always managed to produced and maintain a "healthy" percentage of "undesirables", and as such, the place and population has been, and is kinda obliged to put up with them and deal with them.

God knows why, but "undesirables" from elsewhere seem to have relocated here (if you think not, just check the court roll any given week and there will be several examples). Perhaps it's simply an illusion, by the percentage of the relocated population which arguably should wear the "undesirable" tag seems extremely high. However, if appearances are in any way accurate, independence or the status quo, something needs doing before things get out of hand.

Shetland unfortunately has always managed to produced and maintain a "healthy" percentage of "undesirables", and as such, the place and population has been, and is kinda obliged to put up with them and deal with them.

God knows why, but "undesirables" from elsewhere seem to have relocated here (if you think not, just check the court roll any given week and there will be several examples). Perhaps it's simply an illusion, by the percentage of the relocated population which arguably should wear the "undesirable" tag seems extremely high. However, if appearances are in any way accurate, independence or the status quo, something needs doing before things get out of hand.

I have no reason to doubt that, G.

But this is definitely not a phenomenon unique to Shetland. The whole of the British Isles now has a population far more fluid than it was, say 30 years ago. I can recall my father standing in his local and saying to his best mate "we are now strangers in our own village" back in the late 1980's.

I've been fortunate enough to live and work all over the UK (bar Wales) and I see the same problems and hear the same complaints everywhere: "Outsiders" "Incomers" "Them moving here and committing crimes" "It was never like this...." same old, same old. It gets tiresome and predictable after a while.

But..being an island group...and having a strong case for Independence, it is not beyond the realms of reality for Shetland to address these issues to some degree. But certainly not by some racial purity statute that even the most backward banana republic would laugh at.

Rather than pointing the finger at the rather nebulous "Them", Shetland would be better served by organising a proper politically independent voice and moving forward to represent the wishes of Shetland, rather than crying into it's collective beer on forums like this and blaming everyone else for their perceived woes.

So far, I see no such organisation being formed. Pity.

Q: If Scotland became independant [sic], what would Shetland do?

A: Keep on reading the Daily Mail.

Is that any worse than the Morning Star :!:

I wouldn't know, never seen either..... :P

Same bunkum and skewed drivel, but from opposite ends of the political spectrum.

There y'go, G. I've save you the trouble of buying a copy to find that out.

No need to thank me, ma'm - just doing my job...

In cold reality, I suspect that the folk of Shetland are too "thick" and scared to vote for Shetland independance .....

If Shetlanders are too thick to vote and non-Shetlanders are not allowed to vote then I really don't see why you don't just proclaim yourself the Steward of Shetland right now and be done with it!

Is this thread actually for real?

Right now I feel embarrased to call myself a Shetlander.

^^ Nah, permanent exile to Forvik 24/7/365 would be far more appropriate. See how well he survives in the kingdom (or whatever it is).

He might just manage to catch the odd fish....don't know about the tatties though. Maybe just have to compliment the fish with Shetland Kale, it thrives on salt.

Drats you said in your post you would only deport offenders who come here, not folk who come here and offend.

So den, what sort of crime would suffer the penalty expulsion?

How would you fund the appeals?

Would you lock the accused up until the appeal is heard?

Would the dependents have to go as well?

If not, can they then become the parents of the grandparents of the grandchildren that can vote in the future?

I take it you would opt out of all human rights?

Will you manage this on your own?

Some countries around the world abuse their citizens, you do know that!

We could have a take on your statement that you are only prepared to let in EU citizens, as they have not been abused by their own government.

You have made this very difficult to follow, but it is entertaining to think of the possibilities and scenarios, I am sure you are enjoying the extrapolations too. Would that then make this thread a string? Not really but it is an interesting thought. Perhaps a teacher could advise?

chin chin