If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

@ Dratsy, very interesting indeed(if a little heavy to read!).

It's a shame we don't have a present-day Ian Clark for what's happening.

I think if Scotland votes for independance there will such a constitutional upheaval that we(Shetland) would do well to at least approach Norway.

I know about the rather jaded arguments relating to the cost of living in Norway but afaik it's covered by generous wages and besides that Norway is a throbbing country and economy which we would reap the benefits of.

Do folk really think that London will "negotiate" with Shetland in relation to handing the oil fields to us, or even giving us a bigger cut of the profits?.

Well, based on their wriggling and squirming tactics towards the scottish independance referendum over the past few days I'd say there's no chance.....

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you become the next icon in the Shetland movement away from Scotland/UK.

You have the qualifications so do it. Citizen Ugl!

Shetland has been pandering to the DimDems for decades, it must be what Shetland wants, unless you, Citizen Ugl convince them otherwise. Let us play it out here.

I move the proposal that Citizen Kavi Ugl be spoke person for the Independent Shetland Movement (title to be confirmed).

If there is a seconder, then we could start a new thread to create the model of an Independent Shetland, it of course can move from there to alliances and treaties.

Remember,

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream

I think if Scotland votes for independance there will such a constitutional upheaval that we(Shetland) would do well to at least approach Norway.

After a referendum asking the people who live on Shetland if they

a) Want independance from Scotland

B) Feel in anyway Norwegian or feel strongly enough to join another country

Without getting a strong majority happy for both of the above there is nobody on Shetland who would have the mandate to make any approach to Norway.

Shetland becoming independent of Scotland and becoming part of Norway is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I find it amusing that it's even being suggested. Despite what some people think, Shetland has a lot more in common with Scotland than the Scandinavian country's. There are obviously some cultural links, but nothing with any enough depth to support linking with Norway.

Shetland becoming independent of Scotland and becoming part of Norway is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I find it amusing that it's even being suggested. Despite what some people think, Shetland has a lot more in common with Scotland than the Scandinavian country's. There are obviously some cultural links, but nothing with any enough depth to support linking with Norway.

WELL SAID:

This I think, is the most sensible post within the last 7 Pages.... :D

WELL SAID:

This I think, is the most sensible post within the last 7 Pages.... :D

i saddley would say to have to aggre allot of norwegians wouldent mind shetland returning, but would never happend becouse, dont think shetland would really want to and norway wouldent want to piss the uk of. since we can in parts thank them for our indipendence from sweden.

but shetland/scotland becoming a more closser friend to the nordic countrys and made even a member of the nordic council, could be posibel.

If "lexanders" post is a reflection of the present educational system and their teaching of the English language we really should consider allegiance to another country.

You have a good point my english is noway perfect, and unfortunately i do not have spellcheck on my phone to correct my english.

And it does reflect the currrent educational sytem in norway, thath is in need of change and are just ranked a few spoots above the uk educational sytem.

If "lexanders" post is a reflection of the present educational system and their teaching of the English language we really should consider allegiance to another country.

Well, if that's not a catalyst to piss someone off I don't know what is !

I don't take it personaly, I can however blame my english on the american and welsh educational system since thath is where i have been studying.