If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there 8). And I should maybe begin by mentioing that there was such a large turnout that they had to move from the school into the Tingwall hall!.

The motion "Shetland's future lies in an independant Scotland" was defeated.

44 in favour.

52 against.

16(?) undecided.

To be honest I felt most of the papers were poor and Alistair Carmichael was shockingly poor for a man of his standing. Danus Skene gave a good paper but focused too much on an independant Scotland, Ben Raikes spoke very eloquently for a young lad on his first outing.

Also, the actual focus of the motion was lost and quickly shifted onto the arguments for and against an independant Scotland which was not the purpose of the debate.

Jean Urquhart was the only one who really addressed the motion and spoke about Shetland's need to get a strong negotiating team in place for when/if an independant Scotland is voted for.

However, I didn't like her "veiled threats" that we'll be part of an independant Scotland whether we vote for it or not so we better get used to it.

Jonathan Wills spoke during the questions session and among other things said just the same that Shetland is a county of Scotland and so if Scotland votes for independance we'll just have to accept it whether we like it or not.

This is quite odd because I remember him being interviewed on BBC Scotland's Newsnight a few years ago and he said that in the event of an independant Scotland "We(Shetland) don't have to go anywhere"......

My post was in not intended to annoy anyone, maybe a bit late at night to post sensibly ;-)

Many people don't use spell checker including me and mistakes happen.

Have a look around any Internet site such as ebay and you can see a clear UK wide problem.

Are UK educational policies failing us all and potentially effecting future growth.

My post was in not intended to annoy anyone, maybe a bit late at night to post sensibly ;-)

Many people don't use spell checker including me and mistakes happen.

Have a look around any Internet site such as ebay and you can see a clear UK wide problem.

Are UK educational policies failing us all and potentially effecting future growth.

No problem sheltie53, would be a poor Shetlink if we all needed an honours degree in English.. :wink: ( I find google chrome good for pointing out mistakes in spelling. )

IF, and it's a big if, should Scotland win independance, i hope that the majority of Shetlander's demand that we remain in the UK.,

First and foremost Shetland is in the UK.

er - when the Union of 1707 ends, there will be no UK to remain in.

The choice du sets is between a Scotland with Scandinavian aspirations, (in which Shetland can play a full part) or as an overseas possession of a Tory dominated rump UK. I know which one I will choose.

That's "IF the Union of 1707 ends.

If Scotland has such "aspirations" with Scandinavia, why havn't we got all year round flights to Bergen, and weekly freight and passenger ships to Norway?

Shetland folk would then have direct acess to Northern Europe.

Trade contacts between Shetland and Norway would be limitless, and a huge boost to the local economy.

I have no confidence in a independant Scotland encouraging or particularily funding Shetland on this matter, considering they want Shetland to cough up money towards running a ferry :roll:

Jonathan Wills spoke during the questions session and among other things said just the same that Shetland is a county of Scotland and so if Scotland votes for independance we'll just have to accept it whether we like it or not.

This is quite odd because I remember him being interviewed on BBC Scotland's Newsnight a few years ago and he said that in the event of an independant Scotland "We(Shetland) don't have to go anywhere"......

Lets be charitable to Jonathan ... and say he learns from his mistakes?

Apart from here, I have not seen any suggestion that Scotland itself should up for being split into independent areas ?

I can see it now ..you get off the boat in Aberdeen to a sign saying "welcome to the free state of Aberdeenshire".. then as you drive south you then come across another one "Welcome to Scotland" "You will be glad to have Aberdeen behind you"

That's "IF the Union of 1707 ends.

If Scotland has such "aspirations" with Scandinavia, why havn't we got all year round flights to Bergen, and weekly freight and passenger ships to Norway?

Aye fair enoch 'if'. but the fact we ir haein dis discussion says it is possible.

Current transport situation is no guide ta da future.

Hmm, I'm inclined to feel that Jonathan Wills' political leanings change several times a week :lol:

I'm confident there would be no further break up of "Scotland" if Shetland decided to go its own way. And anyway, that's not Shetland's problem.

Danus Skene said that it wasn't about money, it was about controlling "our own destiny". Well, that's fine - if Scotland can decide to do that so can Shetland.

I believe that in every sense we are in the fortunate position of being able to make an historic move which will benefit our islands for generations to come, be that an independant Shetland or a return to Norway.

Alex Salmond is a very shrewd political player and as someone pointed out last night the more David Cameron and London interfer the more they are gifting independance to the SNP.

I personally feel that if Shetland votes no in the referendum but the Scotland outcome is yes, then we should have our own Shetland referendum on what we want to do.

David Cameron is the Prime Minister who was democratically elected , Now I did not put him there but I have to go along with the decision until he is ousted or the next voting day when the situation changes .

This is how democracy works .

Now as Cameron is the prime minister he is the master & can surely in that capacity can ask for any tune to be played , & steer what ever course he deems fit ,& could should he wish call for a national election on this independence issue. That would sort this stupid idea once & for all .

When my boss asks me to do something I usually have to obey & do as requested , or look for a new job !

Alex Salmon seems to think he can do anything he wants . I see him as a big dictator who is all mouth & frightened to call an election as he knows he would more than likely lose

With the state of the country there are far more important things to be discussion at the moment

One particular fact that hasn't really been answered yet is how will the 400.000plus English living in Scotland vote?
Yes I was wondering that and also thinking that all the Scottish people living away from home will not be able to vote on the future of "their" country.

Not sure if it's a reliable guide but people born in England are slightly over represented in SNP membership. e.g. 6 MSPs including some high profile figures - Mike Russell, Christine Grahame, and Angus Robertson MP.

Scottish people living away will not as that would be entirely impracticable. An 'ethnic' definition of Scottishness is a non-starter. You would end up polling all 40million of the diaspora in NZ, Canada etc etc. Where would you stop

An English born person living in, and committed to, Scotland has more right to be included in the vote than a Scottish born person who has moved elsewhere. I