If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Cameron is the Prime Minister who was democratically elected , Now I did not put him there but I have to go along with the decision until he is ousted or the next voting day when the situation changes .

This is how democracy works .

Now as Cameron is the prime minister he is the master & can surely in that capacity can ask for any tune to be played , & steer what ever course he deems fit ,& could should he wish call for a national election on this independence issue. That would sort this stupid idea once & for all .

When my boss asks me to do something I usually have to obey & do as requested , or look for a new job !

Alex Salmon seems to think he can do anything he wants . I see him as a big dictator who is all mouth & frightened to call an election as he knows he would more than likely lose

With the state of the country there are far more important things to be discussion at the moment

I am sure this is how Cameron sees things. But this is where both of you are wrong. Because Cameron cannot 'sack Salmond', unless Cameron is hell bent on having a war in his own backyard.

One particular fact that hasn't really been answered yet is how will the 400.000plus English living in Scotland vote?
Yes I was wondering that and also thinking that all the Scottish people living away from home will not be able to vote on the future of "their" country.

Not sure if it's a reliable guide but people born in England are slightly over represented in SNP membership. e.g. 6 MSPs including some high profile figures - Mike Russell, Christine Grahame, and Angus Robertson MP.

Scottish people living away will not as that would be entirely impracticable. An 'ethnic' definition of Scottishness is a non-starter. You would end up polling all 40million of the diaspora in NZ, Canada etc etc. Where would you stop

An English born person living in, and committed to, Scotland has more right to be included in the vote than a Scottish born person who has moved elsewhere. I

Being on The Electoral Register for Scotland should be good enough qualification.

Oh hairyian, I'm not suggesting that Cameron sack anyone , but what if he set the date & called the referendum ,assuming that Alex will not call it sooner.

Whats the point of having a leader if he cannot do anything .

should we all just tell our bosses to go to "****" & just do what we want !

When the boss askes me to do something is he interfering ?

Oh hairyian, I'm not suggesting that Cameron sack anyone , but what if he set the date & called the referendum ,assuming that Alex will not call it sooner.

Whats the point of having a leader if he cannot do anything .

should we all just tell our bosses to go to "****" & just do what we want !

When the boss askes me to do something is he interfering ?

But Cameron is NOT the boss here !

IF Cameron wants an referndum in Scotland, all he has tp do is pass a bit of Legislation at Westminster Parliament and get on with it.

But he knows that will be even less popular than his political party is in Scotland.

Cameron is the prime minister for the UK

So until Salmond wins his way ,Cameron calls the tune.

Scotland is still part of the UK so like it or lump it David Cameron by whatever means is the man in overall charge !

Nope. Read the Scotland Act.

He has no powers over the Scottish Parliament.

Well hairyian ,what is all the noise about .

We must be independant already :twisted:

The Union is still in place. Just that the terms of it were adjusted. Currently being adjusted again.

The SNP proposal is to dissolve the Union completely.

Even with independence, there are certain to be Treaties between Scotland and whatever England calls itself. Those Treaties will give rights and obligations on both parties. But, those can, and probably will, be adjusted and re-negotiated as time goes on.

I personally feel that if Shetland votes no in the referendum but the Scotland outcome is yes, then we should have our own Shetland referendum on what we want to do.

Would set a dangerous precedent, if Shetland were allowed to ignore the results of a nationwide referendum what would stop other parts of the country trying to do the same. Ulitmately Shetland (although you don't like it) is a part of Scotland and if the majority does pick independence I don't see individual counties who didn't by majority select indepedence getting to have another crack at going against that.

If Scotland is conned into going independant of the Uk then we can also look forward to the Euro as our currency....

If a vote goes ahead then we may not have a choice anyway, however, remember what happened when the Irish voted NO to the Euro?

Strange also that the Scum in Westminster refuse to give the Uk as a whole the vote on joining Europe, but then say they would like to see a Scottish vote ASAP but then refusing publicly to condone any possible change...

Oh yes, they want a scottish yes vote alright, its just easier to break us down when we are split up.

I wonder which way the Irish would vote in a 3rd vote?

If Scotland is conned into going independant of the Uk then we can also look forward to the Euro as our currency....

If a vote goes ahead then we may not have a choice anyway, however, remember what happened when the Irish voted NO to the Euro?

Strange also that the Scum in Westminster refuse to give the Uk as a whole the vote on joining Europe, but then say they would like to see a Scottish vote ASAP but then refusing publicly to condone any possible change...

Oh yes, they want a scottish yes vote alright, its just easier to break us down when we are split up.

I wonder which way the Irish would vote in a 3rd vote?