If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

As a no good Weegie who joined this forum to pose a few questions related to a project I did a while back, I thought I'd comment (oh, and I visited a couple weeks back):

I'd hope Shetland would remain with Scotland because I think that Edinburgh would be more willing to give Shetland supported autonomy than London. When we go Independent (I tend to see it as an inevitability now) I believe we'll have a bit of a cultural rebirth, and Shetland is so unique and interesting that I am selfish and hope it remains with the rest of us!

There has been talk of SCOTLAND applying to the Nordic Council before, if you can believe it. What would your thoughts be on Shetland being to Scotland what the Faroes is to Denmark?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hope Shetland would remain with Scotland because I think that Edinburgh would be more willing to give Shetland supported autonomy than London.

:shock:

Given that the SNP government seem determined the centralise everything (the latest example being police and fire) I find that hard to believe!

Ahh but you make the mistake of assuming the SNP would be in command of post Independent Scotland in the form it is now. If Scotland became independent there would be a political shake up and all four parties would have to do some soul searching. F.ex there are a decent amount of pro-republic within the SNP, who might potentially splinter off post Independence. Not just that, but we'd need a new general election.

I think if there was a demand for some regional autonomy for Shetland then I just believe Scotland, as a country, could relate to it. I certainly would have no problem with it at all. There is a lot Shetland could do if it wanted more local control. Scottish Crown Dependency, enhanced regional powers for the council or even a special advisor to the government. Whenever I've mentioned Shetland's unique perspective to friends of mine they have been generally as interested/supportive of it as I have. I realise that's just an anecdote, but I think it would be a common opinion.

I'd hope Shetland would remain with Scotland because I think that Edinburgh would be more willing to give Shetland supported autonomy than London. When we go Independent (I tend to see it as an inevitability now) I believe we'll have a bit of a cultural rebirth, and Shetland is so unique and interesting that I am selfish and hope it remains with the rest of us!

Good on you, Shifte!!!

Does London know who we are, never mind where???

Is this thread not relatively irrelevant now, given the infamy (and only joke worthy perspective) Calamity has endowed on all things independence/devolution/autonomy etc for Shetland, with his antics of the last decade....

Were I a consipracy theorist I'd already be well down the road of thinking he's an Edinburgh plant, sent to scupper any chance of us getting anything.

we wid have a bit more money to spend

The council’s development department currently awaits the outcome of a so-called ‘input-output’ study, carried out by Aberdeen University every six years.

In 2006, the study found that the isles had generated a £60 million net surplus for government coffers.

from here

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/3067-economic-growth-without-interconnector.html

The Conservatives do have our interests at heart

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2010-2012/0079/amend/am079-o.htm

(2D) A vote in a referendum held under subsection (2B) of this section which results in Scotland leaving the United Kingdom shall not be binding on the residents of the Orkney Islands or the Shetland Islands unless a majority of the residents of the Orkney Islands and the Shetland Islands who voted in such a referendum voted that Scotland should leave the United Kingdom.

Or is it just the oil they're after?