If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hope Shetland would remain with Scotland because I think that Edinburgh would be more willing to give Shetland supported autonomy than London.

:shock:

Given that the SNP government seem determined the centralise everything (the latest example being police and fire) I find that hard to believe!

Not to forget that the snp also want the oilo money so ta ta to any refill of the CT The town hall wont like that one bit

we wid have a bit more money to spend

The council’s development department currently awaits the outcome of a so-called ‘input-output’ study, carried out by Aberdeen University every six years.

In 2006, the study found that the isles had generated a £60 million net surplus for government coffers.

from here

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/3067-economic-growth-without-interconnector.html

No you would not, as the funds to run just a council add up to £90,000,000 or there abouts, that is the figure Shetland gets from Central, as independents, you would not have that income. Except the income from Council Tax. It was mentioned earlier.

No you would not, as the funds to run just a council add up to £90,000,000 or there abouts, that is the figure Shetland gets from Central, as independents, you would not have that income. Except the income from Council Tax. It was mentioned earlier.

dear dear pete i think you should look up the words "surplus" and "net" in a dictionary :roll:

then read the quote from the article again,

and if you still don't understand it I will not be much surprised :lol:

The Islands make the GOV 60 million, the GOV give 90 million. So, when independent, Islands don't get the 90 million.

That is however if the tax status remains the same. An independent SIC or Shetland will have to find the money to transfer pensions, social care, NHS care and of course a Navy to protect the tarnished fishing industry that seems to be a mainstay of the islands according to some, a worry that the idea of that may drive fishing to the grave in some areas and destroy some of the international agreements.

Possibly the case. We are using figures that are available now and assuming Shetland will be able to charge the same levels of tax that is complained about on these threads. There is also the prospect that the GOV south will want a dividend on the investment they have made over the years. No doubt folk will say what investment.

So to keep the oil companies on side, their tax bill may have to be reduced. Add to that the lower fuel duty folk will expect, the "profits" could become a negative.

The other ways is to follow Norways tax system and tax vat on nearly everything. Money would also still head south as on these threads we were told that there would be no need to bring utilities back into public ownership. So, unless another PLC can raise the funds with shareholders based on the Islands.

I think it will take several years, if not decades if the <1% in favour of isolation fron GB on here can become enough in the real world to make headway.