If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

Can you include the oil figures in that?

What "oil figures" are you talking about? If you mean the wages paid to somebody who works at Sullom Voe, or any other oil related job in Shetland, they are included.

Or see the post by MuckleJoannie above - 70% of oilfields would be in "Shetland" waters.

Can you be more specific about which "oil figures" you want to discuss?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking more about this oil may well play a big part in the economic equation. I seem to recall that if current standards were used to set international boundaries 70% of UK oil would be in Shetland waters. How Shetland votes could matter.

Puts Shetland back in an enviable bargaining position, it is in Westminster's interests to court Shetland. The question I'd like to see publicly pushed is to ask Salmond "What have you got to offer us?" in the Scottish independence scenario. Not in an divisive sense, but following the absence of mandate.

The question I'd like to see publicly pushed is to ask Salmond "What have you got to offer us?" in the Scottish independence scenario. Not in an divisive sense, but following the absence of mandate.

That is my opinion as well. I don't know if there is the same antipathy in Shetlnd to being part of an independent Scotland as there was at one time but the actions of the present SNP government don't encourage me to think they would be best for Shetland.

This is one Scottish opinion on what willl happen when Scaotland is independent

http://www.scottishreview.net/EileenReid223.shtml?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&url_campaign=259041-Could+it+get+any+worse+than+yesterday%3F

(The article is the one in the centre of the page)

The first test of the democratic credentials of an independent Scotland will be a request from Shetland for freedom to re-unite with their cousins across the Norwegian Sea.

This is one Scottish opinion on what willl happen when Scaotland is independent

http://www.scottishreview.net/EileenReid223.shtml?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&url_campaign=259041-Could+it+get+any+worse+than+yesterday%3F

(The article is the one in the centre of the page)

From which:

There have been some Scottish immigrants but the genetic make-up of the islanders is Scandinavian and they have infinitely more in common with Norway than Strathclyde.

This is outstanding in its wrongness. I don't know the figures, but it is quite apparent a huge percentage of the numerous immigrants hail from England, not just Scotland. As for "infinitely more in common"? I think not.

... did anyone notice Lord Caithness's tabled amendment, for Orkney, Shetland and Rockall to remain part of the UK?

His proposal has, of course, been widely recognised as being motivated by the wish to hold on to "cash cows" rather than anything to do with our population. The give-away is in the inclusion of Rockall. No people living there.

It may also be worth remembering who the noble Lord is. He is the hereditary Chief of Clan Sinclair. At the time of the transfer of Shetland to Scotland it was, to a huge extent, the Sinclairs who assumed many of the Lairdships, including many of my own ancestors. Given that these were the scum reviled in local folklore, the Lord's comments assume an even more sinister position.

As for "infinitely more in common"? I think not.

Yeah, because Strathclyde is crawling with fishermen, salmon farmers, smallholders and oil workers. :P

I care not for what the Lord's motivation is, if it is useful to 'Shetlands greater good. I also don't think the Sinclair Earls per se attract the same level of disdain as you are identifying, perhaps through the succession. I certainly doubt, however, that any Lairds of similar authority would get a toe-hold in a modern Shetland. :wink: