If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

The relevance is that Shetland's 'Crown Dependency' EEZ would be calculated from the boundaries, and that is related to size, and particularly size relative to the original country of which Shetland is a county.

That's the international precedent.

I see. So presumably an independent Scotland would be subject to the same "enclave" 12 miles around the coast (of Scotland)?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The council elections that are coming this year will present us, the people of Shetland with the opportunity to put in place a group of people who will strive for the best for Shetland rather than strive for the best for them / their group of cronies.

Make sure that you get the right person to represent you, some of the old guard have been living on past glories for far too long, some are still on a personal ego trip.

The staff of the SIC who are currently made up of a lot of "sooth" bodies should also be taken to task, to run Shetland for the benefit and advancement of Shetland, rather than the headlong rush to turn Shetland into just another Scottish local authority.

I think that this is the best chance for Shetland to advance it's position since the SIC act of parliament in the 70's.

We need to quickly develop a common voice on this, in the new council. A crown dependency seems attractive, either from Scotland or the UK.

Either way we need to ensure we get the best deal rather than sit on the sidelines and mumble complaints when the crumbs fall off the political table elsewhere,

Information is now key, we need to know the real impact of independence / Crown dependency, cost to the individual, effect on government, effect on community, effect on key services (health, education etc). The control of information and it's spin will win this argument.

The relevance is that Shetland's 'Crown Dependency' EEZ would be calculated from the boundaries, and that is related to size, and particularly size relative to the original country of which Shetland is a county.

That's the international precedent.

I see. So presumably an independent Scotland would be subject to the same "enclave" 12 miles around the coast (of Scotland)?

No - because as Scotland is not an 'isolated offshore island' then current equidistant boundaries would apply, although no doubt there will need to be negotiation and possible arbitration regarding the maritime boundary off Berwick as this was secretly changed in 1999 (actyually I think the correct boundary there should be somewhere betweenthe original easterly boundary and the 1999 one that was moved 70 miles north).

Others with rather more experience of these matters disagree

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2012/01/scotlandengland-maritime-boundaries/

Some interesting reading here from Gilbert Goudie in the early 20th century

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-352-1/dissemination/pdf/vol_021/21_236_251.pdf

he outlines some of the attempts by the Danish crown to retrive Shetland And Orkney from Scotland, I wouldn't expect the current leaders of the country to be any less devious and dupicit in any dealings over the self determination of Shetland's place in the world.

To summerise, the question of Shetland and Orkney's position as being held in leu of the dowery payment has not been settled and the right to claim the islands back is still open. Also as stipulated in the treaty granting Norway it's independance in the early 1900's the right to claim Shetland and Orkney is with the Danish Crown not Norway!

The council elections that are coming this year will present us, the people of Shetland with the opportunity to put in place a group of people who will strive for the best for Shetland rather than strive for the best for them / their group of cronies.

Make sure that you get the right person to represent you, some of the old guard have been living on past glories for far too long, some are still on a personal ego trip.

The staff of the SIC who are currently made up of a lot of "sooth" bodies should also be taken to task, to run Shetland for the benefit and advancement of Shetland, rather than the headlong rush to turn Shetland into just another Scottish local authority.

I think that this is the best chance for Shetland to advance it's position since the SIC act of parliament in the 70's.

We need to quickly develop a common voice on this, in the new council. A crown dependency seems attractive, either from Scotland or the UK.

Either way we need to ensure we get the best deal rather than sit on the sidelines and mumble complaints when the crumbs fall off the political table elsewhere,

Information is now key, we need to know the real impact of independence / Crown dependency, cost to the individual, effect on government, effect on community, effect on key services (health, education etc). The control of information and it's spin will win this argument.

Excellent post viblir and the point du makes about all the "sooth" bodies(and please, no offence is meant) desperate to turn Shetland into just another Scottish local authority is absolutely true - and sadly they've almost succeded.

Infact, I would suggest that this is probably Shetland's single biggest problem - as a community we've become an SIC dominated, lazy, left-wing, services led people being force-fed a diet of Scottish propoganda.

I do believe we(Shetland) have the chance of a lifetime coming towards us and no amount of "stones" thrown at me will persuade me otherwise.

Whether that opportunity is grabbed is another matter but the fact that folks are even speaking about it is a good thing.

Infact, I would suggest that this is probably Shetland's single biggest problem - as a community we've become an SIC dominated, lazy, left-wing, services led people being force-fed a diet of Scottish propoganda.

Is there not a slight contradiction between your fondness (understandable, in my opinion) for all things Norwegian / Scandinavian, and what you say here? Surely if Shetland were to become more Scandinavian in its outlook (or return to Norway, even) we'd be cementing exactly those things you claim not to like. Scandinavian society and politics is essentially social-democratic (ie left wing), with high taxation. It's state dominated and, to at least the same extent as Scotland, services-led. It sometimes seems that your love of Norway is not a love of the Norway that actually exists today - which, along with the other Nordic countries, I happen to think is a pretty good model for where Scotland ought to head - but instead some hazy, historic Norseland that isn't actually real.

As it happens, I agree that there's an opportunity coming to make some changes in Shetland, in terms of our relationship with Scotland or the UK (though I don't think anything as radical as you're suggesting would be at all wise in a single leap).

I also agree that it's good folk are talking about it. Sadly, talking about it on Shetlink is about as useful as not talking about it at all. Until the issue becomes the subject of proper public debate, using real names, it will go nowhere.

Sadly, talking about it on Shetlink is about as useful as not talking about it at all. Until the issue becomes the subject of proper public debate, using real names, it will go nowhere.

Well said.

Unfortunately, what is needed is for someone to actually make it a matter of public debate and, at this moment, there doesn't seem to be anyone.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Crown Dependency option. I have no faith that Shetland would fair well in the SNP's vision of an independent Scotland. Much more local control would seem to be the best way forward.

Yes, it is true that Norway is a socio-democratic country and I'm 100% in favour of more fairness and equality(which is severely lacking even in Shetland) but I personally feel that Norway manages this with also being a more "switched on" nation.

Although things are changing in Scotland in relation to this with the younger generations being more confident and world-minded Shetland has fallen into a slothful rut where very, very few look at the wider Shetland picture or care, for example, about the problems facing the Shetland fishing fleet/industry.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong over the coming two years and see Shetlanders rise up, come together and start fighting as one for our islands.

The SNP's track record towards Shetland so far does not bode well......

Faeroe once part of Denmark now a crown dependency 200 mile/ median line border

Shetland part of Scotland will only get a 12 mile border surely the precedent was set when Faeroe gained it's freedom.

Na Derek du's no convincing me.

Never going ta convince dee so not relevant.

da key point is 'depriving area X of it's resources'. Crown Dependency Stuart Hill nonsense fur Shetland is clearly a UK ploy to deprive Scotland of an integral part of it's territory. I am confident that this is the position that international arbitration would arrive at.

So, either Shetland has the existing EEZ as part of Scotland, or it has enclave status with a 12 NM EEZ as a crown dependency of England (The UK being dissolved in the event of Scottish Independence).