If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

Fake Viking racists may disagree. F** em.

That's a bit strong derick, whoever you're refering to.

Aye. fair enough. Poorly chosen language. Apologies.

However, Dratsy is still no going ta convince me that DNA testing is a legitimate basis for a franchise, or that British Unionists have a right to partition Scotland. They don't so the tosh in the Tory press is just another scare story.

All this nonsense was supposed to happen if the SP was reconvened - death of the firstborn, plagues of mice, Tartan Tories, Scottish Marxist hell, Michelle Mone to leave (a promise sadly not kept) etc etc ad nauseum. It's tiresome.

anyway, awey to pit me tailgate lock on.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have allways thought the Shetland people should be given recognition as a distict people, as due to our genetic make up we are different.

That could be said of many tight communities. The great thing about Shetland having incomers and other DNA is the fact you need two hands and a foot to teach yunguns to count to 12.

Dribsy did suggest in another post that only those who can vote be those who can trace their fathers back so many generations, two I think. The trouble with that is many folk have had children and grandchildren in the last 30 years. You could go with surnames and DNA.

The Danes invaded most of the UK, there are strong links with Heysham, there are some great Viking graves chiselled out of the bedrock near the chapel St Patrick is said to have been before he went to Ireland.

There are far more issues, no one seems to be interested in them, like the share of the national debt and the banks. There is also the fact the Queen could still be monarch.

There are far more issues, no one seems to be interested in them, like the share of the national debt and the banks. There is also the fact the Queen could still be monarch.

National debt in other 'divorces' have been split various ways. The closest parallel is the Czechoslovak split - debt was split on a population basis.

OTOH the Baltic republics point blank refused to take any debt from the Soviet Union. And that stood.

Scotland's ability to deal with the banks bailout of was discussed on Newsweek.

http://joanmcalpine.typepad.com/joan_mcalpine/newsweek-scotland-interviews-professor-andrew-hughes-hallett-on-the-scottish-banks-bailout-full-tran.html

http://joanmcalpine.typepad.com/joan_mcalpine/transcript-of-newsweek-scotland-yes-we-could-afford-the-baking-bailout.html

and by John Kay (economist on the Council of Economic Advisers although he is a supporter of more devolution rather than independence.

http://reformscotland.com/index.php/publications/details/1194

Lots of info on the Scottish Democratic Alliance Site. haven't read it all though! Agree with them on joining EFTA rather than the EU as the SNP tends towards.

http://scottishdemocraticalliance.org/

The Full Fact site based in England also seems reasonably fair. Check the GDP figures for 'bankrupt' Iceland and Ireland compared to the UK!

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/scotland_independence_salmond_economy-3239

I have allways thought the Shetland people should be given recognition as a distict people, as due to our genetic make up we are different.

An interesting theory, please elaborate: by how much are Shetlinkers genetically different from; (a) ‘the English’, (B) the aboriginal people of Australia, © chimpanzees?

Thanks for that, it will add to the pile.

I am about to look at what will happen when the EFF is replaced by the EMFF in 2014, the consultation papers have been released.

http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/reform/com_2011_804_en.pdf

This Fund is designed to stay until 2020. If Shetland opt out of the EU, there will be none available, same for Scotland, though after reading the few lines of the above posted links for the interviews it may be a wise thing to have the back up in case of problems.

There is also a new tax being talked about for Hauliers, as vehicles from Shetland will still need to go to England, Wales and the independent Cornwall :wink: would Scotland impose such a tax?

The reason for the tax is to help repair the roads due to damage done by HGVs and is based on the damage a truck can do, apparently £8.50 worth of damage a day.

Also, would Shetland impose such a Tax. There have already been suggestions that roads be resurfaced to limit black ice, all the lamp posts may need changing and a fleet of mini gritters so folk can drive down every road.

How would the Coastguard work? TUPE employees and pay a license to use the infrastructure?

It is all very complicated, I would guess it would take a wee while and a pile of £s

An interesting theory, please elaborate: by how much are Shetlinkers genetically different from; (a) ‘the English’, (B) the aboriginal people of Australia, © chimpanzees?

You could be opening a huge can of worms there. :)

I would say, they are as mad as a bottle of crisps. Howsthat?

:wink:

I'm English, was born and bred in what used to be Danelaw. My family name is of Viking origin. I'm genetically as Viking as most Shetlanders. Does that mean I get a vote in the genetically-decided independence referendum of Shetland mooted on this thread? Or does my Sooth mooth origin prevent that?

(Pro crown-dependency BTW - being a tiny outpost of the Republic of Scotland won't help Shetland at all. The notions of re-union with Denmark or Norway are just romantic pipe-dreams. Speaking to my relatives in Norway they think the whole notion is very odd, and there is no appetite there for acquiring Shetland, save for the oil and the fish).

I'm English, was born and bred in what used to be Danelaw. My family name is of Viking origin. I'm genetically as Viking as most Shetlanders. Does that mean I get a vote in the genetically-decided independence referendum of Shetland mooted on this thread? Or does my Sooth mooth origin prevent that?

(Pro crown-dependency BTW - being a tiny outpost of the Republic of Scotland won't help Shetland at all. The notions of re-union with Denmark or Norway are just romantic pipe-dreams. Speaking to my relatives in Norway they think the whole notion is very odd, and there is no appetite there for acquiring Shetland, save for the oil and the fish).

Based on genetics everybody should get the vote - even chimps.

see http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-Much-DNA-Do-We-Share-With-the-Chimps-40594.shtml

Thanks for that, it will add to the pile.

How would the Coastguard work? TUPE employees and pay a license to use the infrastructure?

Coastguard - TUPE is logical but the infrastructure would become ours as it is physically located here.

There's no 'hard and fast' rule for splitting assets but things which are physically located in one successor jurisdiction would be best transferred 100%, and the value offset elsewhere.

So, for example, while Scotland's share of the House of Commons building which is a British physical asset built with taxes from all the UK is 8.4% based on population share we are hardly going to dismantle Big Ben and take it north - so HoC stays in London, and the value is offset elsewhere. British Museum stays in London and Scotland forgoes it's 8.4% share, National Museum of Scotland stays in Edinburgh and England forgoes it's 92.6% share. And so on.

Overseas example would be the Czech republic which got the Czechoslovak embassy building in Washington, and the Slovak republic got the embassy in Ottowa.

Transfer of personal taxation and PAYE is easy - little more than changing a box on a spreadsheet! No different really from changes to tax rates that happen after UK budgets.

Corporate taxation is a little more complex, but multi-national companies are used to working across tax regimes.

The 'problems' largely vanish into the mist when you look at them closely.