If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

Yes, very surprising but equally welcome.

I happened to hear the dinner time news today and there was a snippet of Alex Salmond speaking about the prospect of strike action on the ferries.

However, what stuck out for me was the fact that he almost didn't even know what to call us and fumbled his way through the "Northern Is...lands" :roll:

Sadly, I think Edinburgh itself and the SNP have shown in the years of devolution that they offer us little hope.....

Spot on Kavi, I for one, cannot see how things will be any better with independence from the rest of the uk. As I have said before, there is not enough information to answer all the questions and Wee Eck just waffles around the issues.

His only interest in Shetland is oil money and he will need it all to try and balance the books. Shetland will be left high and dry.

The visit to the Isle of Man is an interesting one, could a similar idea for Shetland be a way forward? :?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wonder: If the SNP gain independence for Scotchland, will they extend the same opportunity for a vote upon self-determination to Shetland that they themselves have cried out for over the years (and gained) from Westminster.

Or should I just expect rank hypocrisy from Holyrood?

Yes!. They have a great record of it so far :wink:

Don't expect any support or even fair reporting of what Shetland might do in the advent of an independant Scotland from wir own local media.

I noticed in The Shetland Times this week that the visit to the Isle of Man by non less than Tavish Scott and Malcolm Bell barely recieved a mention and was buried on p6.

Meanwhile a rescued dog recieved half a page with a photo on p3.....

Don't expect any support or even fair reporting of what Shetland might do in the advent of an independant Scotland from wir own local media.

I noticed in The Shetland Times this week that the visit to the Isle of Man by non less than Tavish Scott and Malcolm Bell barely recieved a mention and was buried on p6.

I am afriad the story looks very much like 'business as usual' - all expenses paid trips away to look and see how to get things right ? Assuming the IOM is doing it right in the first place. I think that trip is a copmplete waste of money.

'non less than' , as thouigh they were important ?

Tavish = Failed Party Leader of a failed Party.

Malcolm = Leader of a semi-bankrupt, failed tiny Local Council. Admiitedly not his fault, but he now carries that baggage.

@hairyian, Yeh, I ken but they are still officially wir two main representatives and any fair-minded rag would have treated it better/fairer!.

Even Radio Shetland managed to do a semi-decent job.....

Mind you, my hope is that when the time comes/is right the debate will begin.

Mind you, my hope is that when the time comes/is right the debate will begin.

The time is NOW.

If Shetland does not decide on it's future soon, it will be stuffed from all angles.

Accuse me of being a little cynical if you like but, I think that Tavish visiting the IOM has more than a little to do with the fact that his party was demolished at the polls and instead of being able to take a tilt at running Scotland, he now thinks that 1st Minister/Prime Minister/President of Shetland might not be so bad after all...

Personally, I'm all for Crown Dependency status and, if he (Tavish) were to throw what little weight he has left behind that, I would support him.

Sadly, I find it hard to disagree wi you both - I was just clinging onto some peerie bit of hope that Shetland was biding it's time......

I think the term sleep walking into SNP slavery just about sums it up :(

Maybe once the massive cuts are done and dusted and we see the kind of Shetland we're left with minds will be clearer and able to focus on the issues surrounding scottish independance.

At least I can say I've approached a councillor and spoken wi them about it - and to be fair they actually support full Shetland independance or even a return to Norway.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...