If Scotland became independant, what would Shetland do?

kung foo panda

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you read them paul and you will see that I state quite clearly I don't have a problem with folk that come here and obey the law I also state that I know eastern europeans that are better workers and people than some locals.

stop looking for things that are not there.

making slanderous allegations is out of order and that is what I was calling you on not threatening you at all. But i must say your attempt to get me kicked off is rather pathetic, you don't agree with me so you wish to censor me by whatever means.

your parentage may be in question icepick, but that don't mean every ones mammy is a whoore

stop looking for things that are not there................

making slanderous allegations is out of order .............

Where did he say that?

As you seem to enjoy over using "I call you on" go ahead.

Oh, and from the same post indicated by paul

The only thing I have stated here is that the authorities should use the powers given to them by parliament and deport offenders who have washed up on our shores for whatever reason

You indicate that only offenders who come here be deported. Even if they face punitive punishments where they have escaped from and are criminalised by a dubious countries known for their abuse of basic human rights.

Yea Yea

or

Nay Nay?

When it comes to a vote on independence I am of the opinion that you should be able to prove at least one set of grand parents are from Shetland. A solid link to Shetlands past before you get a vote on Shetlands future

Oh I think you're being too lenient there Dratsy. I think nobody should be allowed to vote unless they can prove that they are a direct descendent from the Picts who were here before those pesky Norse incomers.

Or maybe we should only allow people who are genetically descended from the Beaker People to have a say.

I'm an Incomer. Shetland is my home. I am part of a community. I contribute. Yet still, my voice is not as important as yours it seems. Disappointing attitude you have there.

It seems unfair if incomers get a vote, seems a bit arrogant that someone can move up here and get a vote after staying a few years.

But I would allow them if they had been here 18 years, the other people able to vote would be those that could prove that they were born in Shetland. The 18 year rule (if 18 was used as normal for voting) would also allow those that are born outwith Shetland due to medical problems for example if they had to be born in Aberdeen but have stayed here the rest of their life they would still be able to vote.

Well Dratsy if you feel so strongly about the need for Shetland independence stand for election on that platform. Two caveats -

Whatever happened to the Shetland Movement?

The last time something similar was put to the electorate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney_and_Shetland_ John Goodlad came fourth, and that was with the SNP not standing.

In addition, your ethnic purity voting requirement would never happen.

I do feel it would be a bit unfair if someone who has just arrived off the boat or plane "seeking the good life" in Shetland was then allowed to vote on such a historic issue.

I also wouldn't want to be disrespectful to the many people who have settled here and for whom Shetland is now their home so perhaps it could be open to those who have lived here for over 5 years.

I do wish people would stop dragging up the old "norse" chesnut in their arguments. 99% of Shetlanders(me included) understand that Shetland is made up of different roots while feeling the strongest affinity to the norse side.

In cold reality, I suspect that the folk of Shetland are too "thick" and scared to vote for Shetland independance or even a return to Norway so we'll likely just get sucked down the plug hole with Scotland.....

You indicate that only offenders who come here be deported. Even if they face punitive punishments where they have escaped from and are criminalised by a dubious countries known for their abuse of basic human rights.

So you think we should deport offenders that are from here then.

Oh yes that member states of the EU that abuse folks human rights on a daily basis. as ever peat you are a bit of a drama queen

No jz, thick was perhaps not quite what I was meaning but when the mentality of 90% of Shetlanders is to drive around in the winter darkness with not even a sidelight on.....

What I mean is, most Shetlanders(and please think about what I'm saying folks) are more concerned with the latest "3 for 2"" offer in Tesco or some new Sky tv package than what Shetland's future is.....

BTW, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.....

5 years residency is standard in most western countries for non nationals with all corect visas to apply for citizenship (right to vote) of coarse dartsy could always take the japanese approach - youre japanese if born to a japanese father, if youre dad wasnt and his dad wasnt and his dad wasnt..... generation over many years can be born live in and die in japan without ever being a citezen is that what you want,? this is our island our gang and youre no allowed in?

I know folks that have lived here 30, 40 years and longer and still consider themselves English or Scottish or even Norwegian, I know folk that were born here to sooth parents and consider themselves English etc how then should they have a vote on Shetlands future, they do not consider themselves Shetlanders and that is why I will stick to my guns and say some kind of hereditary link is a must.

I am not calling for their deportation unless they are criminals.

And after we achieve independence then they can apply for citizenship, which if they have lived her long enough then it would be a mere formality.

And after they achieve citizenship then they can vote in elections.

This is an opinion that I hold It does not mean I hate all Scots or English or Poles or whatever but narrow minded folks accuse me of being racist.

do I think there are too many morons allowed to settle here yes but that is because they are morons not because of their ethnic background.

So call me a moronist (someone who dislikes morons) :wink: if you must it is a handle I wont even attempt to deny, but racist I think not, i have more friends from more nationalities than most folk on here so it is a label that is unjustified.