OXFAM shop is closing 7th January 2012

CrunchieSquirrel

Yes, the topic says it all, Oxfam shop in Lerwick is closing. I've had my best of experiences there as I worked there since April and now this bombshell that has landed made think about what other shop to work at.

I'd like to thank all the customers who have donated and bought gifts in the shop, the shop will close on Saturday 7th January next year.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
It looked more like a dole-mole drop in centre to me over recent years....

Jeremy Clarkson went too far - and you appear to have done the same? :roll:

Jeremy Clarkson was slated publicly for the words that you thought privately about civil service strikers!... Hmm... I'm sure if old JC had spoken out about Oxfam being a social outcast hangout, you wouldn't get quite so knicker twisted!

Whatever your views on charities.. Try to remember that it's your tory chums that are driving more to their outlets!

It looked more like a dole-mole drop in centre to me over recent years....
Jeremy Clarkson went too far - and you appear to have done the same? :roll:
Jeremy Clarkson was slated publicly for the words that you thought privately about civil service strikers!... Hmm... I'm sure if old JC had spoken out about Oxfam being a social outcast hangout, you wouldn't get quite so knicker twisted!

Whatever your views on charities.. Try to remember that it's your tory chums that are driving more to their outlets!

My view is that you and Kavi appear to be a couple of ignorant and unwordly pratts...but that's only my view :lol:

My view is that you and Kavi appear to be a couple of ignorant and unwordly pratts...but that's only my view :lol:

Interesting analogy.

Oxfam have a pricing schedule that is national, I mentioned before that supermarkets selling cheap clothing could ring the the death bell of charities as they cannot sell a 99p t shirt for too much.

Alas another vacant shop, that, no doubt will be 3 Tesco stores in town now.

Charity shops are big buisiness now with an annual turnover of £550 million oer year.Oxfam/Red.Cross ansd Save the Children all have overheads Paid Managers/rent/heating/lighting and in some cases the purchasing of new stock mean that the money it generates from any donations had to pay all these overheads first.

For most Charity Shops the days are long gone when it was run by only volunteers...There are still places that do run on a completely voluntery basis all money raised with the exception of elecricity goes to the charity in question.

Oxfam do a sterling job but it might have been more prudent to sell things cheap and have a better turn around of stock. It is no good trying to sell second hand goods dearer that you can buy them in the local shops.

Cancer Recearch is a good example of this.Good Quality goods at a very resonable price and the shop is always busy....