OXFAM shop is closing 7th January 2012

CrunchieSquirrel

Unless things have changes recently, charity shops get 100% remission on their rates. They will have a rateable value but pay no rates bill, same as clubs etc. Again, it may have changed but it was the case some time back that the British Legion, in part a busy pub, paid no rates as it was a club.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless things have changes recently, charity shops get 100% remission on their rates. They will have a rateable value but pay no rates bill, same as clubs etc. Again, it may have changed but it was the case some time back that the British Legion, in part a busy pub, paid no rates as it was a club.

I seem to remember the rates changing about 10years ago, I remember a lot of 3rd sector complaining about it, plus there's the water meters & insurance, the insurance is actually quite high as you're working with high numbers of volunteers.

We had to stop having adults with additional support needs when we moved premises as were no longer covered by their insurance and EVERY volunteer would have needed to be SCRO checked/disclosed even if they weren't working the same shift.

It's a shame dat anidder shop will be empty on da street but personally i stopped shopping dere once in geed 'up-class'. I also agree dat it had a lingering stale fag reek aboot it and i never found da staff very friendly. Da Cancer Research shop is definately da best, you can hiv a proper rummage and da staff are always more dan willing to help you fin whit you're looking for.

• 3 weeks later...
It's a shame dat anidder shop will be empty on da street but personally i stopped shopping dere once in geed 'up-class'. I also agree dat it had a lingering stale fag reek aboot it and i never found da staff very friendly. Da Cancer Research shop is definately da best, you can hiv a proper rummage and da staff are always more dan willing to help you fin whit you're looking for.

i agree 100% here although i have popped into oxfam once or twice since it changed. But I do still prefer cancer research, good bargains!

I'm afraid I have some bad news for myself. I have finished my job on Friday and I have been working there for eight months and I have really enjoyed myself with this experience. I'd like to thank people who have donated clothes, books and Fairtrade items and now on there'll be a 70% off sale, everything must go.

The back of the shop is completely empty and today was a big hit as we made over £100 in the past 2 hours. Thanks everyone, we couldn't do this without you all :D