co-op

fionajohn

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thinking back to when tesco expanded. what about planning. change of use', taking trade away from the street. greedy large company trying to steal the bread out of the mouths of shetland shop keepers.

its not a local idea they are planning this over a number of stores. the used to have large coops selling everything but they moved away from them. now they are retrying it.

thinking back to when tesco expanded. what about planning. change of use', taking trade away from the street. greedy large company trying to steal the bread out of the mouths of shetland shop keepers.

Actually, you raise a good point there.

When Tesco expanded, they had a lot of stick from some folks who said that it was unfair on local traders. In fact, many said that they would stick to using the good old co-op instead. It would seem that the co-op is now intending to branch into other lines, administration apart, so will those co-op devotees now switch to using only their village shops for food purchases in protest?

Very relieved the Co-op isn't closing for the same reasons as many others.

I can't agree with the high praise given to the cafe, admittedly based on just one visit - the tea was truly disgusting, instant out of a machine - would it be out of the question to provide a boiler and tea bags instead?

A decent cuppa might tempt me back.

I think the cafe in the CO-OP is great.

Did you notice the boxes of teabags beside the teapots?

You just get one of them and pop it in a teapot and fill up at the machine by pressing " Hot water".

its not a local idea they are planning this over a number of stores. the used to have large coops selling everything but they moved away from them. now they are retrying it.

Exactly. For many years the Co-op had an off licence shop, a furniture shop, female and male drapery shops and a household goods shop all on the street between the Cross and the Clydesdale, their competitors generally all survived and thrived at the time, and seemed to have no problem with them. So any attempt by present day competitors to block it would very likely be seen by many as unwarranted whingeing and hypocracy, and maybe they realise that.

Today I was in the co-op coffee shop for my lunch. I'm led to believe that there was a petition started (and quite rightly!!) by a friend of mine, who was also at the cafe. My friend asked if she may leave a few pages for customers to sign in their approval of saving the coffee shop. A member of what I presume to be the management team came into the cafe red faced, explaining to a couple of members of the coffee shop staff, that the petition was to be removed immediately. Now I for one was rather outraged by this, as customers deserve their right of freedom of speech and opinion! This petiotion was not started against the Co-op staff, management or store in general, and did no harm to anyone. I'm in my right mind to express this to the manager, and intend to tell him exactly how I feel, and hope other will do so! We never asked for Peacocks, and certainly never asked them to go bankrupt and bring it to Shetland! I am also similarly led to believe that the coffee shop is being changed for no apparent reason. From my understanding, the coffee shop is at no loss and is being changed to affect Tesco. Well I'll tell you the secret there...reduce your prices and you will see more customers.

I for one will never shop at the co-op for as long as it remains in Shetland. Like many others, I only use the shop because it is convinient when I have my lunch at the coffee shop. I am utterly disgusted by the removal of the petition, and hope others will follow suit and make their voices heard. WE NEED NUMBERS TO KEEP THE COFFEE SHOP OPEN!!