co-op

fionajohn

Guest posiedon

^ The Co-op like any business are there to make a profit, if a clothing retailer is willing to pay more rent for the space than what Sumburgh hotel are paying, why would they turn that down?

On the other hand, Sumburgh hotel could offer to match the rent of the clothing retailer and up their prices in the Caffè, how would that suit?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad lives in Christchurch Dorset, he has a choice of Tescos, sainsburys , Marks and spencers waitrose and Coop.

The only one he doesn't use is the coop, cos its the most expensive for what it has to offer, oh i forgot Asda.

If you want best quality shop brands Sainsbury and waitrose are the best.

Asda is the cheapest, but their own stuff isn't as good as Tesco's.

I use the coop cafe, but not the store, it's way more expensive than Tesco, and Tesco is the best supermarket ever to have come to Shetland.

It has been said before its not just a shetland thing. they are needing to increase there appeal against the likes of tesco and asda. clothing has more pull than a rented cafe.

going off in a huff will not improve anything. having a dig at the store manager is just making his life difficult. At the moment co-op is getting better at matching and beating tesco's prices. it s not the stores fault so maybe just support the store or you may lose the shop and then see how you like being in a tesco town.

just imagine if the store manager was to allow it and his boss was to turn up. As the co-op is customer owen write to the head office and complain to them.

The Co-op like any business are there to make a profit, if a clothing retailer is willing to pay more rent for the space than what Sumburgh hotel are paying, why would they turn that down?

On the other hand, Sumburgh hotel could offer to match the rent of the clothing retailer and up their prices in the Caffè, how would that suit?

Well...let me start there by saying, Sumburgh Hotel had no choice in the matter, so my sources say. The Sumburgh Hotel is sub-contracted by the co-op to put staff in the coffee shop. How can a bankrupt company offer more than they can afford? The co-op put money into a buisness that can not not float, let alone swim.

Id hardly say a petition, is taking the huff, as I stated earlier, it was not againt the staff, the manager or the company in general, its was set out in good will for the many people who use the cafe on a daily basis, as it is central in location, and is where many of the work lads meet before beginning their day.

What I will say is that a petition is a decent way for many people to express themselves. I do agree however, that co-op is competing well with tescos prices however, in my own personal thoughts, I find tesco to be better for my needs.

I have no controversy with the co-op at all. My issue is with the fact that many stores in "the street" are closing, so why not put cheap clothes shops in these? Especially when said clothes company, namely peacock, is going bankrupt and will no doubt fail in shetland.

I speak on behalf of many shetlanders and many people from the mainland who now live in shetland, that some enjoy going south for a day to do shopping.

^ The Co-op like any business are there to make a profit, if a clothing retailer is willing to pay more rent for the space than what Sumburgh hotel are paying, why would they turn that down?

It may not even be the level of rent here. It may be that co-op management think a clothing retailer will attract more foot fall than a cafe.

The Co-op like any business are there to make a profit................................

The Co-Op is a co-operative.

The Co-operative Group is the UK’s largest mutual business, owned not by private shareholders but by over six million consumers.

Includes me.

Like any business, we want to be a commercial success. However, even more important to us is the way that we do business, and the way that we use our profits. We believe that we should offer our customers both value and values. Which makes us a bit different.

Almost similar to the first quote, but

Our members are our owners; they tell us what is important to them and we listen and act on it. It’s part of our model: as a consumer co-operative, we run our business for the benefit of our members. That means our members are involved in democratic decision-making, and we re-invest in our business – sharing profits with our members. Our members also set a social and campaigning agenda that we support. In fact - because our members wanted it - we’ve become pioneers in areas such as fairtrade and combating climate change. Of course, the more commercially successful we are, the more we can do to give back to the communities we serve and to influence the wider world.

How many owners are posting here I wonder?

Another example of how folk can get involved, this has been going on for decades upon decades. Mutual support, not selfish want.

How many are going to become members and get the dividends?

Co Op

Guest posiedon
DominoX

How can a bankrupt company offer more than they can afford? The co-op put money into a buisness that can not not float, let alone swim.

As far as I'm aware the Co-op have put no money into Peacock, do you know different?

Nor did I mention Peacock, I said "a clothes retailer"

for the many people who use the cafe on a daily basis, as it is central in location, and is where many of the work lads meet before beginning their day.
Oh! Central to where? what?
in my own personal thoughts, I find tesco to be better for my needs.
Then maybe you should get your breakfast there eh? I'm sure you could find some overpriced fat and salt loaded crap in their hot cabinet.
namely peacock, is going bankrupt and will no doubt fail in shetland.
Peacock has already gone into liquidation, so how do you suppose it can it fail in Shetland?
I speak on behalf of many shetlanders and many people from the mainland who now live in shetland, that some enjoy going south for a day to do shopping.
How do you know you speak for many Shetlanders?

Today I was in the co-op coffee shop for my lunch. I'm led to believe that there was a petition started (and quite rightly!!) by a friend of mine, who was also at the cafe. My friend asked if she may leave a few pages for customers to sign in their approval of saving the coffee shop. A member of what I presume to be the management team came into the cafe red faced, explaining to a couple of members of the coffee shop staff, that the petition was to be removed immediately. Now I for one was rather outraged by this, as customers deserve their right of freedom of speech and opinion! This petiotion was not started against the Co-op staff, management or store in general, and did no harm to anyone. I'm in my right mind to express this to the manager, and intend to tell him exactly how I feel, and hope other will do so! We never asked for Peacocks, and certainly never asked them to go bankrupt and bring it to Shetland! I am also similarly led to believe that the coffee shop is being changed for no apparent reason. From my understanding, the coffee shop is at no loss and is being changed to affect Tesco. Well I'll tell you the secret there...reduce your prices and you will see more customers.

I for one will never shop at the co-op for as long as it remains in Shetland. Like many others, I only use the shop because it is convinient when I have my lunch at the coffee shop. I am utterly disgusted by the removal of the petition, and hope others will follow suit and make their voices heard. WE NEED NUMBERS TO KEEP THE COFFEE SHOP OPEN!!

The management of co-op is 'odd'. To the best of my knowledge they were the only establishment that refused point-blank to take petitions to save the coastguard, last year.

Today I was in the co-op coffee shop for my lunch. I'm led to believe that there was a petition started (and quite rightly!!) by a friend of mine, who was also at the cafe. My friend asked if she may leave a few pages for customers to sign in their approval of saving the coffee shop. A member of what I presume to be the management team came into the cafe red faced, explaining to a couple of members of the coffee shop staff, that the petition was to be removed immediately. Now I for one was rather outraged by this, as customers deserve their right of freedom of speech and opinion! This petiotion was not started against the Co-op staff, management or store in general, and did no harm to anyone. I'm in my right mind to express this to the manager, and intend to tell him exactly how I feel, and hope other will do so! We never asked for Peacocks, and certainly never asked them to go bankrupt and bring it to Shetland! I am also similarly led to believe that the coffee shop is being changed for no apparent reason. From my understanding, the coffee shop is at no loss and is being changed to affect Tesco. Well I'll tell you the secret there...reduce your prices and you will see more customers.

I for one will never shop at the co-op for as long as it remains in Shetland. Like many others, I only use the shop because it is convinient when I have my lunch at the coffee shop. I am utterly disgusted by the removal of the petition, and hope others will follow suit and make their voices heard. WE NEED NUMBERS TO KEEP THE COFFEE SHOP OPEN!!

Sorry to pick holes in this but you say you only use the co-op at lunchtime for the cafe!

Maybe if you were to use the Co-op for buying produce and putting a bit of money in their coffers it may have helped them to avoid the issue of trying other ideas to get people in the door.

I just find it strange that you've got such a strong stance against a company you don't use other than entering their premises to have lunch in part of their building that they lease out to who they want when they want and then when they try to change something maybe to help benefit their shop and their customers you're not happy!

^^

Should it matter? Can you judge some one on this because you think they do not spend enough in the shop. If someone was to go there every day and buy a packet of chewing gum, they have as much right to take action than someone who buys 10 packets a day.

Discrimination is wrong.

The property is owned by the shareholders, who the management represent, you would need to formally right to them for permission to do this. Then, you may get the answer you are looking for.

There are application forms available to become a member of the Co Op (not the political arm unless you choose to do so). You will be involved then, and receive a dividend.

I personally donate my dividend to charity, which you can do by indicating that on the application.