Electricity supply and powercuts

JustMe

You can set the WP to save the document at regular intervals, regardless of the weather. Basic stuff that.
Yes or I could have used another program. But my point is that it is about time that SSE provided a reliable service for customers forced to use their electricity since we do not have competition in the supply market. Maybe in billing but that is hardly the same thing.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ As long as there are crows collecting conducting material discarded by idiots for nesting material it will not matter one iota who you have for your supplier.
So in the second decade of the 21st Century can we not have crow proof transmission lines?.

^ As long as there are crows collecting conducting material discarded by idiots for nesting material it will not matter one iota who you have for your supplier.
So in the second decade of the 21st Century can we not have crow proof transmission lines?.

I doubt it, nothing better than a nice warm transformer to nest on. Far more cost effective to educate the human idiots but don't count on it !

I doubt it, nothing better than a nice warm transformer to nest on. Far more cost effective to educate the human idiots but don't count on it !

There's lots of overhead power lines in Lincolnshire where I was born. My parents still live there. My Dad still lives in a rural location, as do other relatives, and they can't remember the last time they had a power cut - over 5 years ago, put it that way! There's plenty of crows up there ...

... but then they got trees. :wink:

^ Glad you added that last bit about the trees ! :)

Yep, most of the power cuts in winter down to the weather, the good old salt water being the prime culprit. Down here at the deep south though we get more than our share probably due to lightning faults on underground cables and possibly " less robust " equipment.

• 9 months later...

Electricity off all night and into breakfast time due, so they say, to a pole on fire. Well maybe SSE need congratulating on being able to set a pole on fire on the wettest night for a long time but I believe that a company that considers it is capable of building and running a giant wind farm ought to first demonstrate that their local system has sufficient back up systems so that we do not have long power cuts because of equipment problems.

demonstrate that their local system has sufficient back up systems so that we do not have long power cuts because of equipment problems.
Such as? You want a dual cable run to your property, "just in case"? Or maybe the Hydro should provide you with a generator? :roll:

Just perhaps, the repair crew decided that attending a pole fire was unwise during such blustery weather last night. My understanding is that the fire was most likely to be a pole-mounted transformer, not the pole itself.

Not a spare cable to my property but this was a cut affecting half of Yell plus Unst and Fetlar. I am sure the repair crew did what they could once they got to Yell although that was delayed due to the ferries not running.

And to keep things in proportion there were two schools shut today due to the power cut.......bairns not educated. Parents having to stay home to look after them. And if it was a transformer on fire then that is equipment failure which really does make me think they should not be trusted to build a windfarm.

Just Me

Thank you for second comment, the Hydro Linesmen perform heroics on a regular basis and are an un-sung emergency service.

I think you thinking is flawed, if you take your argument that because of equipment fire, the Hydro are incapable of running a wind farm.

and we transfer this:

Every car malfunction would mean that brand could no longer sell a car.

Boeing because the dreamliner is a problem should be banned from building an aircraft again......

You get my drift

Your original post about causing a fire on a wet night shows a limitied understanding of the causes of pole fires on a par with mine but I believe the amount of water in the air allows arcing across the contacts normally insulated by the air gap.

Although I fully sympathise with the loss of power suffered in the isles and the knock on effects this must have caused, I would think that the SSE staff would have done everything they could to get the power restored at the earliest opportunity.

This type of outage is likely to happen every now and then... The answer .... Put all cables underground! But that would be hughly expensive and unaffordable.

To link an unfortunate power out with the running of the windmills seems a bit unjust.

in the last few year there are less and less power cuts shetland storms carry a large amount of salt water in the air and everyone knows water and electricity do not mix but with salt added this exacerbates the problem the hydro boys do a heroic job repairing the power lines and i will depend on my generator without complaining otherwise you may end up paying for repairs

I certainly agree that the Hydro boys do a good job and are out is some horrible weathers not only repairing faults but even doing general maintenance.

But, and I think there customers in the South mainland might well agree, repeated failures to get small small amounts of electricity reliably over short distances certainly do not inspire me with confidence that they can generate large amounts of electricity on Shetland's hills, convey the electricity to some central point and then under the ocean to Scotland.

I should add that I live in an all electric house supplied under the Hydro's "total heating.....damm all control" (or something like that) tariff. Yes I can make tea and heat up soup but the place gets cold rather quickly when there is no input to the storage heaters so I do get fed up when we have power cuts.

^^

We also have the THTC tariff and storage radiators. With the radiators, you need to know what the weather is going to the next day so that you know that you need to turn them on the day before.

We cope with it but there are certainly times when we get it wrong and have to use free-standing heaters.