Carnival

JAStewart

Anyone remember when Lerik had the carnival?

What happened to it? :?

I wiz joost spikkin aboot dat da idder day.

If I recall it was stopped due to lack of interest - the number of floats dropped and the number of people organising it as well iirc - and the fort dance (oh the memories!!) was stopped because it was getting harder to control - that was organised by the Shetland Football Assoc IIRC.

Good days!

the float parade was one thing and it was good, but the fort dance was monopolised by drunk under 18's. good fun until you grew up. reasonably safe for a while but probably getting dangerous and socially unacceptable. I think the underage drinkers started getting a bit too much. It was fine when we stuck to a couple of tins of beer. too much on the social calendar nowadays, old boy, what!

the float parade was one thing and it was good, but the fort dance was monopolised by drunk under 18's. good fun until you grew up. reasonably safe for a while but probably getting dangerous and socially unacceptable. I think the underage drinkers started getting a bit too much. It was fine when we stuck to a couple of tins of beer. too much on the social calendar nowadays, old boy, what!

thats as i remember it too, it was latterly orgonised by the sound community assosiation and it turned out that not enough people would help in the orgonisation of it,

As usualy people want to go to things but wont help keep it going, sad to see it go at the time, i mind the bit when the floats went to the lower road at the LHD, then you used to get pelted by pennies from people from the top road - very sore!

never went to the fort as it was always full of silly 16-20 year olds getting drunk - just like posers and the north star is soposed to be now.

it was a good night out too as most of the adults went on the 'p' afterwards so the pubs were heaving! oh the memories!!

Has nobody thought about the Carnival being reinstated without the Fort having to be used as an 'after carnival pissup'? From what I have read everybody enjoyed the carnival (most probably enjoyed the fort too) but it was the Fort that ended the Carnival.

I have asked the same question in the past and seem to remember getting replies that it was down to health and safety. Standing on the back of trucks getting some amalgamation of metal alloy chucked at you is probably less safe than a lot of the legislation that is thrown around nowadays. The problem that I find is that there are still similar types of carnivals that still manage to exist all over the world. Why are they allowed?

Somebody who used to be involved with the organisation of the Carnival must know.

P.S. Thoroughly enjoyed the Carnival Fort nights and never once attempted to walk the wall or spang ower it. I also never instigated a fight although I did have to punch my maths teacher once (because he was being an ass and asked me to).

The Carnival really was a lame event. There was plenty of underage drinking and snogging going on - but that was about it. I guess the concept was kind of mid-summer Up-Helly Aa, but allowed both sexes to participate.

It was sort of like a St Clements teenage dance, only outdoors!

The carnival didn't end because of the Fort - they were two separate but linked events. I think the fort ended before the carnival (or maybe I just stopped going cos I grew up a bit...) The carnival interested because the number of floats was falling and interest was waning.

I'm sure if there was, say, a once every four years event then it would attract a lot of interest, but its a lot of work every year.

The Fort... Ah, memories (or lack thereof)

It was exactly as some have already said; a piss up for 14 - 20 year olds. I was 15 or 16 at the time of the last one and mind my auld man giving me 4 tins of cheapo 3% lager to take along.

When I got there I swapped them for 6 tins of Carlsberg ‘special brew’, with someone who thought it tasted mingin. He was right, but the swine wouldn't swap back after the deal was done. I vaguley recal laying in the garden of the old museum, drunkenly staring up at the Oceanic’s propeller, trying to stop the world from spinning. Then I got up and, for some reason, went to the sands of sound beach where some randoms were having a fire and a party. It was a good night, as I recal.

I mind when I was even younger my folks would give us handfuls of pennies to throw at the floats, which was kinda fun. I also recall certain tearaways walking behind the floats, desperately scrabbling to pick up the money that had missed the tins. Real classy!

• 2 weeks later...

An annual event at The Fort would be great. Some good local bands, good stewarding, good seating areas and good bar service would be great. The Flavour of Shetland on the pier is a great showcase for Shetland and if Shetland could have a handful of annual events organised professionally, for locals and visitors, im sure it would be a great success. Yes, it costs money, but what better way to spend some!

The parades looked good but as for the fort?........I remember first aiders hiring taxis to get drunken kids to the GBH.

As one of the First Aiders from the fort I can assure people that we dont hire taxis for drunks. If they require treatment then they will receive treatment and appropriate transport where necessery.If the person gets a taxi then it by their own choice and even then only to go home.

Sorry if that sounds a bit nasty.

The parades looked good but as for the fort?........I remember first aiders hiring taxis to get drunken kids to the GBH.

As one of the First Aiders from the fort I can assure people that we dont hire taxis for drunks. If they require treatment then they will receive treatment and appropriate transport where necessery.If the person gets a taxi then it by their own choice and even then only to go home.

Sorry if that sounds a bit nasty.

As one of the taxi drivers this happened to I can assure RickB that this did happen.....perhaps in order to avoid the police interest that calling for an ambulance might generate.