Shetlink: is it time to quit?

Malachy

Is Shetlink still a valuable part of Shetland life?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shetlink still a valuable part of Shetland life?

• Yes
    • No

I would like to propose a motion for debate, partly though not entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Namely, that Shetlink has outstayed its welcome; that it no longer serves its purpose as a forum for intelligent debate about local and current affairs; that it now appears to be little more than a haven for trolls, extremists, those with too much time on their hands and the intellectually and grammatically challenged; that it has a great classifieds section but not much else worth looking at.

The case for the prosecution rests, for now. Thank you very much.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst the ratio has definitely swung towards the stereotypical, in my opinion Shetlink still fills a unique and valuable position due to the nature of life in Shetland (or any other similar community).

Sure, it can be hard to ignore, or indeed not feed, the trolls at times, but in between them all Shetlink offers a forum for discussion of topics which would simply never happen in "real life" due to peoples relations/jobs/or other circumstances.

Plenty of sensible discussion and exchange of valuable information takes place on Shetlink. Yes there are some rather tiresome debates but I have a sinple answer to them. Just avoid them or wait until I am really bored and read a whole chink of them in one go. That said what I find tiresome others may find riveting.

Hmmm.....might the OP have arisen (in part at least) from the apparent fact that Shetlink users of today are more a representative cross section of the population, rather than the (for want of a better description) apparent "PC, liberal" bias of previous times.

Somewhere else on here (possibly the "Anything & Everything Else" board), there was/is a thread titled something like "Shetlink Livingroom", in which the site was likened to being a virtual "livingroom", where guests came and went over time, and the conversation and debate evolved (or degenerated as the case might be) according to who the guest(s) were at any one given time.

Yes, the site has "evolved", and yes at the moment the "livingroom" does appear to be "enjoying" somebody's significantly large carry-out on some threads, but so what. It adds a little levity at a gray and depressing time of year, and the same folk who wirk the aessins o' sheeite on one thread, can and do take serious issues in an appropriate light on another thread immediately afterwards. I should know, I do that. :wink:

I would like to propose a motion for debate, partly though not entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Namely, that Shetlink has outstayed its welcome; that it no longer serves its purpose as a forum for intelligent debate about local and current affairs; that it now appears to be little more than a haven for trolls, extremists, those with too much time on their hands and the intellectually and grammatically challenged; that it has a great classifieds section but not much else worth looking at.

The case for the prosecution rests, for now. Thank you very much.

yes its abused by a minority to get warped distortions circulated