Shetlink: is it time to quit?

Malachy

Is Shetlink still a valuable part of Shetland life?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shetlink still a valuable part of Shetland life?

• Yes
    • No

While I haven't been posting so much recently, I still check out Shetlink every couple of days and read almost everything (except the sport section).

I do think the site could benefit from more active moderation. For instance, there's been some stuff recently on the subject of immigration/housing /welfare claimants on a couple of different threads that was, in my opinion, well over the line which was left up when it should have been stamped on, hard.

Apart from that, I still like Shetlink and think it should continue. Is there any other similar site on t'net which has such a large % of it's target audience as registered members?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I haven't been posting so much recently, I still check out Shetlink every couple of days and read almost everything (except the sport section).

I do think the site could benefit from more active moderation. For instance, there's been some stuff recently on the subject of immigration/housing /welfare claimants on a couple of different threads that was, in my opinion, well over the line which was left up when it should have been stamped on, hard.

Apart from that, I still like Shetlink and think it should continue. Is there any other similar site on t'net which has such a large % of it's target audience as registered members?

I am pleased to say this post has made me think a little bit about my earlier post.

The thing that annoys me is some people use Shetlink as an anonymous forum to get back at some people, slag them off and gossip - whilst getting away with it. Which I think is wrong, and probably contributes to some of the negative views shetlink gets.

If the mods, stamped out some of the inappropriate behavior by some that visit this site then it may encourage more to contribute and visit more often.

Talking about %'s of population and thier representation on Shetlink TA , I really dont see representation of the silent majority going down at all well. Shetlink does appear to have a score or so supporters of "off the wall" ideas who post regularly anonomously , some to everybodys amusement and some to everybodys distain. Personally i see the anonimity being a curse in the hands of some and the real trolling is basically slander spread by pm , really dont reckon them that do it are any kind of asset to any community

If shetlink were to end, it would just be replaced with something similar.

Classifieds are great, but often abused and the forums have been very benificial at times although some threads can get out of hand, but overall It's a site I visit most days and would miss it if it wasnt here.

Can those who are critical of the site honestly say that none of their own posts fall into the same categories they are complaining about ? :wink:

The one thing I do find a bit patronising is people who insist on correcting other peoples minor grammer or spelling mistakes. It's not an English exam ! :roll:

Guest posiedon
vadger

Personally i (sic) see the anonimity (sic) being a curse in the hands of some and the real trolling is basically slander spread by pm ,

Why do you use a pseudonym then?

Alan Crowe, Aith. :)

And it's not the first time I've offered up my details on this "forum"

Oh; and as was stated in the OP, the spelling and grammar on this forum.....?

I used to frequent a forum where if you used i instead of I three times, you were barred and quite rightly, I is a pronoun relating to the writer/speaker and as such needs to be capitalised.

Not saying I'm perfect, but I do make an effort to make my sharn more legible. :wink:

The one thing I do find a bit patronising is people who insist on correcting other peoples minor grammer (sic) or spelling mistakes. It's not an English exam ! Rolling Eyes

Edit.

Oops :lol:

I would like to see Shetlink evolve a bit further, start again and get rid of the pseudonyms and use members real names then people can be accountable for the sharn thats written here most of the time!

Great thread by the way! :wink:

Couldn't agree more. There's obviously a lot of people on Shetlink with far too much time on their hands! I also don't like the fact that people can hide behind usernames and voice comments which may not be accurate. I hardly ever look at the forums now as a result. The amount of negativity and waffle you have to stream through is far too time consuming.

Did the former editor of a local magazine not use the shetlink forums to help fill it. strangly a month after he has left he thinks its a waste of time. if you think shetlink is lacking please take part and other folks will back off and not post as much.

Editorship of Shetland Life has been taken over by the SIC’s erstwhile spin doctor and guess what, the first edition features a political rant by Cluness, the delusional extent of which is exceeded only by the writings of Captain Calamity of Forvick. Malachy took the old, tired format of Shetland Life and transformed it into a well balanced and interesting magazine that had something for everyone. I’m afraid that the new editor will transform it to his own image and writing manner that will appeal to a very narrow readership.

that it no longer serves its purpose as a forum for intelligent debate about local and current affairs; that it now appears to be little more than a haven for trolls, extremists, those with too much time on their hands and the intellectually and grammatically challenged;

I misread this originally, and thought it was a reference to the Council...