Lerwick Health Centre

Ironwithin

I spent 30yrs happly on the Scalloway health centres books, but stupid me after having to get a booster injection I let slip I moved to the town, that was it I was transfered to their even though I did not want to be. they offered me a full examination, what a joke that was, some guy who I could not understand and I think he could not understand me.

Lucky enough I thought I never need Doctors, but years later I have been in pain with my arm, finally bit the bullet and phoned... I heard horror stories, dont know if I can agree, as never got the chance.

I finally after 2 months of pain phoned on Monday to see my arm looked at, I was told I was out with the time to phone, I thought silly me as I did not know the rules and regulations of what my tax money was paying for (what a weird set up, but im lucky my work mates let me sit by a phone allday and dont mind hearing my most personal thoughts). Fair enough, i phoned Tuesday, it did take me doing that soild from half 8, but if anything im a trooper.

I got a very nice girl, who asked my symptoms, I told her and she was nice enough to tell me a doctor would phone me back...... I held my mobile allday beside me, waiting, hoping.... more fool me, next day I did the same..... maybe my tax money was not good enough or my pain not fancy enough. Where I work we allways return everyones calls within 24hrs, but they must know better, so i am in pain and see that no chance of even trying to see a doctor till next year, is it worth trying?

I tried looking on the internet to complain (no point phoneing as they are all on holiday), but all I could find were links, with my computer if I click on them it works no sense, does anyone know an actual email address for them?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was you I would just head to A&E at Gilbert Bain to be seen by a doctor. Don't feel guilty about going.

Unless it is an Accident or an Emergency then don't go to A&E. It isn't there to act as a walk-in centre, hence the name.

^^^

Ignore this go the the hospital

New Out of Hours Walk-In Clinics

In addition to looking to improve the access to the service, the Board is providing a weekend walk-in primary care service at the Gilbert Bain Hospital. This operates between 10.00am - 12.00pm and 6.00pm - 8.00pm on both Saturday and Sunday. Patients should just come to the Gilbert Bain Hospital if they wish to see a GP at these times. This service is available now.

The new system is a disgrace. No disrespect, because the lovely lasses on reception are lovely and helpful, but I don't want to tell a receptionist my symptoms which a) might be complicated or B) personal.

I found the days when you could book ahead far better. The problem is they changed it because of the horrendous number of missed appointments, so "thanks" to the hundreds of duffers who either "forgot" about their appointment or didn't bother to cancel it.....

Last year I remember seeing the number of missed appointments for July and August on the red sign above the window and it was something like 287.....

What they should have done is fined people £10 for missing their appointment, unless there was a genuine and unavoidable reason.

Heed the previous advice and just head for the walk in clinic or A&E.

I totally agree with you Kavi Ugl and JustMe, i am sure they are really busy and like the dentist people dont turn up and ruin it for the rest (bet there is a small group of people that are there the whole time when they should not be). There should be some sort of negative if you dont turn up without some sort of excuse, but like most things in society now, the compact between being a member of society and the state has plenty thinking the state should provide and be bloody lucky to do so on their own terms.

I am one of those people that will never go to a doctor unless im forced or finally have to, thank the people for their advice for going to casualty, I would never do that as I am not that bad in pain and would never want to stop someone who is in more need. Its more the thing that I phoned the doctors and they never even replied, if i had been some old person or someone in more need or vulnerable that would wait and not follow it up (as why woud you if they tell you the system is that they phone you). It hacks me off.

The whole system is a disgrace. Heard they just got a new computer system....

As someone who has no connection to the Lerwick Health Centre other han as a patient, I have to say that I have never had any problem whatsoever in getting an appointment there whenever needed. The staff have always been most courteous and the on-duty doctor has always called me back to discuss my problem and whether I needed an appointment or not. On at least 3 occasions, having phoned just after 8-30am, I was called back within 30 minutes which was excellent. If I did need an appointment, it was always arranged for the same day.

Maybe I have been lucky but I thought that I should redress the balance here.

The new system is useless for the working man or woman. Okay, under the new system on the days when I've phoned I have been seen but I'm in a job where many days I just wouldn't be able to get to the health centre on that day.

Being able to book ahead was much better because I could give the foreman notice that I had an appointment and fair play to him, he would arrange things so I could get to it.

Why can't they do both?!!.

I feel sorry for the office staff there who are obviously trying to do the best they can in a complicated and frustrating system.....

It isn't just Lerwick Health Centre though, is it? Levenwick can be an absolute joy (not) when trying to get an emergency appointment. Sorry, but how the hell do you necessarily know when you wake up (after a certain hour) that you will require medical treatment? Is it not the same as in England, whereby a GP CANNOT refuse to see a patient in an emergency? Now what precisely constitutes an emergency? Whilst a chest infection may not be deemed an emergency for some folk, it may well be the case for those with an immune deficiency disorder, something a receptionist may not be aware of (or in certain instances, the patient or person calling on their behalf).

Perish the thought if you raise your head above your sick bed parapet and remind them that you are entitled to such treatment, however. Suddenly, despite the fact they know you live X miles away (Cos it on the blooming computer screen), they sometimes suddenly (Like, in the said 30 seconds you've spoken) go from no appointments available to having one available within the next 5 minutes - err no, I'd like to keep my driving licence clean and not drive there at 100mph (If you fit enough to drive there, that is)/can't get a cab within 5 minutes ... hang on though, more coughing/sneezing/I gonna dieeeeee if I don't see a quack ... hey ho, yep, computer no longer sez no and you can have an appointment at 4.15pm now ...

... don't ask to book an appointment more than 10 days in advance - Shetland isn't alone on this; despite the marvellous computer sez no system which takes an extraordinary amount of time to install, I've yet to come across any fit-for-purpose NHS GP booking system that can cope with more than 7 days ahead. This is a real shame because some fine peeps work for the NHS, some who do really try their best to accommodate you but are let down by their tools.

When, however, you can get to see them, Shetland is like any other place - some GPs are absolutely marvellous whilst with others you can't help but wonder why on earth they still allowed to practise.

odd never had a problem in bixter or brae. if its urgent you will be seen and you can make appointments in advance. but its the advanced appointment were they get the no shows.

for a lot of stuff the practice nurse can help. strangly in england you could rarely see a doctor when you needed to you had to often wait a week.

but its the advanced appointment were they get the no shows.

I would hazard a guess that a goodish chunk of that is down to the appts. being taken by folk who would really have needed to have been seen sooner but took it as it was all they were offered. Then when the time came, the issue had either already resolved itself, or had killed them.

which means they realy did not need to see the doctor. but saying that its not right that a patient should have to wait for an urgent visit as it could cost lives. after all the older members of the community could treat the doctors delay as an indication that its not urgent. i wonder did prince phillip have to que.