Lerwick Health Centre

Ironwithin

which means they realy did not need to see the doctor.

Errr....If you take that to its logical conclusion, nobody needs to see a doctor ever, as what doesn't cure itself in time, you learn to live with, or it kills you.

but saying that its not right that a patient should have to wait for an urgent visit as it could cost lives. after all the older members of the community could treat the doctors delay as an indication that its not urgent. i wonder did prince phillip have to que.

Exactly! While having had to wait to see a Doc a patient may have recovered naturally, without any longer term harm. However they may well have had to suffer a great deal of pain, discomfort and other unpleasantness during that time, which had they been able to consult a Doc within a reasonable time of realising they needed to, could have been prevented or at least minimised.

Philip, I daresay had more than the good ole NHS to call on, after all what's the point of the wife owning the country, unless you can get her to threaten a few beheadings unless everything the family want is on demand.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip, I daresay had more than the good ole NHS to call on, after all what's the point of the wife owning the country, unless you can get her to threaten a few beheadings unless everything the family want is on demand.

De keepit aald Pheelip in joost tae mak shure dat he wisna slippit loose on Boxing Day wi his twal-bore an his hip flask o brandy. :shock:

^^^^

HE has just posted his 666th post

The number of the beast

Na, that's nothing - you should see the glow and all the noise that comes from his gaff when there's a full moon, not to mention the number of sheep that disappear. :wink:

I totally agree with the first post, I was also at scalloway and had no problems but trying to see a doctor in lerwick - nearly impossible.

does anyone know if the health centre is open today or tomorrow if so when can you try and make an 'appointment'?

appointment line just has an automated 'Saturday & Sunday' recorded message and I don't have the last couple of Shetland times.

After living in England find Mid Yell health centre and Gilbert Blain Hospital wonderful.

Can't speak for Lerwick Dr's.

Where we came from A&E or walk in is only way to see a dr as you can only book on the day and all appointments gone every day by 8am. In our experience you have to get better to cope with 6hr wait in walk in centre.

It was well advertised that surgeries would be closed for 4 days over Christmas and then New year.

Don't go to doc's much but last week went to Lerwick practice and arrived 10 mins before close of morning walk in clinic. I saw a doctor 20 mns later so no complaints. If i recall correctly it was similar last time I went there.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the worst points about the phone in system are:

-You need to be able to call in at 08:30 exactly. If that's not convenient, then they have usually run out of appointments

except if they are having a walk-in day. Then I hope you don't have work or anything, and are free to sit in the Health Centre as long as necessary.

If you get a phone appointment, then I hope you're not at work, or are able to find a quiet spot. It's *very* awkward if you are not able to get privacy at a moment's notice (once I was in a van driving down to Sumburgh with a couple of guys, and the issue I wanted to see a doctor about was private. The doctor phoned, and I couldn't speak).

Even when you are phoning up- I do *not* want to discuss my medical problems with a receptionist. I just want an appointment.

I just want the ability to book appointments in advance so I can organise my work around it. Several times I have not immediately gone to see a doctor about things I probably should have, purely because it is such a hassle. :(

You don't need to discuss your problems with the receptionist if you choose not to.

And when I declined to give her any more information, she got angry at me and said that that she wouldn't be able to triage, and that there were no appointments left if I wouldn't disclose information. Try again tomorrow.