Interesting video - 737 departure from Sumburgh 1980

Infiltrator

Seen the Museums photo of the 737 parked at Sumburgh, but this is very interesting footage of it's departure.

Would've been interesting to see it's landing - apparently landed on rw33, steep straight descent over compass hill rather than the usual lighthouse and 90 deg turn at the last minute.

I also believe this was one of two 737 visits to Sumburgh around that time - both Danish freighters diverted en route to the Faroes (maybe someone can confirm?)

Also a couple of BAE Viscount departures.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting indeed Infiltrator, also a good photo of the 737 here. :- http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/389322-bristow-sumburgh-end-era-9.html ( Bristow Sumburgh -End of an era )

Makes me want to dig out my old vhs video of the Sumburgh airshow and listen out for the " throb " of the twin Merlins on the Mosquito ! or was it Griffons ? I think I feel what hair is left starting to rise !! :)

Sumburgh held an airshow??

They sure did, my memory fails me , the missus says possibly July 86. Here is a good museum shot of the mosquito. ( sadly no longer with us ) :- http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=indexes&s=item&key=IYToxOntpOjA7czo4OiJBdmlhdGlvbiI7fQ==&pg=464

I remember the Spitfire arrived late so only got some distant footage from Scatness. Was a cold trash of a day.

Wow, that would have been cool! Merlin engines sound amazing! My Dad used to tell stories about the aircraft at Sumburgh in the war (he worked on runway construction there).

He reckoned they were having an argument one teabreak about whether Mosquitos were made of wood or not. The debate was settled when one of his fellow workers came into the grub-hut at dinnertime with a chunk of wood he'd cut out of one of the Mosquitos!

Will have to send my dad the link for the 737 taking off, see if he minds it.

Think we might have been home when the airshow was on the go too. Was cool back in the 70's/80's used to get to go into the hangar with him and sit in the 61 and nobody would bat an eyelid. Saying that he showed us round the 92's in the CHC hangar and nobody batted an eyelid :lol:

Your missus was nearly correct SD it was the 7th June 1986.

Cheers for that nessboy, I have dug out my tape and now put the date on ! So that's coming on 26 years so hope the tape still good, will have to get it on to hard disc. Who knows, will maybe get the growl of the Merlins at Sumburgh on YouTube yet ! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I also believe this was one of two 737 visits to Sumburgh around that time - both Danish freighters diverted en route to the Faroes (maybe someone can confirm?)

Have seen a couple of pics of a Maersk 737 landing at Sumburgh in the snow, which I'd presume was No.2. Date unknown, but believed to be late 70's/early 80's and a Faeroe diversion. It was said to have pax onboard though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the 737 was for passenger flights. It had powerful engines with reverse thrust capability for landing on short airfields. If memory serves me right there were about 120 passengers.

Hardly seemed to use any runway when taking off and landing. Don't think Vagar was any longer than Sumburgh and had a much more difficult approach.

The 1st Sumburgh Airshow in '86 was very successful. We had quite a range of aircaft including a Dragon Rapide, a Hunter and a Jaguar as well as the Mosquito and Spitfire. Must be a lot of photos kicking around. There were also a variety of small aircraft on display.