Homeplug/powerline networking

Hector's House

Due to speed & connection issues I have given up using my internal phone extension point to connect my broadband router, which is now sat in the hallway plugged directly into the main BT socket. Alas this means I cannot have my pc where I want it as I would need a 30' cat5 cable hanging down the stairwell & the wireless signal is blocked by the house's solid walls, so I have been mulling over shelling out for a Homeplug kit. Has anyone tried using one, as I can only find general references to real-world experience. Due to the age of the mains wiring, I don't have a lot of spare sockets so the adapters will have to go into extension blocks - or am I expecting too much? I have all my pc & tv kit powered through surge arresters, and I have a nasty feeling they will interfere with the network. I only want the broadband networked, not interested in streaming AV and I don't own an i-anything! As there is occasionally a laptop here, it would be handy to get a wireless adapter for the remote end - but can they be used wired & wirelessy at the same time if they have both options?

I have Netgear HDX101 powerline adapters in my house, and they work great for me. Never had any problems at all, just plug in and go. I also have surge protectors on my electrical appliances, but because I plug my HDX101's straight into the wall, interference has never been an issue. I got mine pretty cheap off the internet, and have had them quite a few years now. I believe there are newer/faster models out now, but these ones have always done the job for me.

We have a pc connected with Powerline adapters on 4 way sockets at both ends which seems to work fine. The only problems I have found is that adapters can burn out and need replacing after a year or so, and when you buy new ones they don't always want to speak to the old ones.

It still beats the hell out of the hassle we had trying to use that pc with wireless though.

Thanks MJ for the slightly better news on the 4-way use, but not so good on the burn-out! That sounds like cheap components (I understand it happens in routers a lot as they are left on 24/7, capacitors being the main culprit) so perhaps looking at the affordable products may not be the right choice.

As for the pdf from Urabug :shock: blimey, I think I understood about every 5th word! At first I thought there was going to be a dire warning that my house was going to catch fire, but the best I could glean was that if I leave the xmas tree lights on it will improve wireless reception no end! 8)

As for interfering with overhead traffic from Scatsta, if I can't get wireless comms from one room to another through these thick walls, I don't think anyone flying 1000ft overhead is going to be affected?

One thing that did cross my mind though is whether the extra emi will interfere with the somewhat whispy mobile signal I have? Another bridge to cross when the time comes :?

• 5 months later...

have you tried high gain antennas on your wireless card, they may help you connect wirelessly!

Due to speed & connection issues I have given up using my internal phone extension point to connect my broadband router, which is now sat in the hallway plugged directly into the main BT socket. Alas this means I cannot have my pc where I want it as I would need a 30' cat5 cable hanging down the stairwell & the wireless signal is blocked by the house's solid walls, so I have been mulling over shelling out for a Homeplug kit. Has anyone tried using one, as I can only find general references to real-world experience. Due to the age of the mains wiring, I don't have a lot of spare sockets so the adapters will have to go into extension blocks - or am I expecting too much? I have all my pc & tv kit powered through surge arresters, and I have a nasty feeling they will interfere with the network. I only want the broadband networked, not interested in streaming AV and I don't own an i-anything! As there is occasionally a laptop here, it would be handy to get a wireless adapter for the remote end - but can they be used wired & wirelessy at the same time if they have both options?

I have my Router in the same room as my main PC; which is upstairs. The master socket is at the foot of the stairs in a cupboard.

What I did was to connect the router to the master socket using an extended Phone - RJ plug terminated cable I got of e-bay for about £3.

I live about 500 meters from my exchange: and the "before dedicated cable" sync speed was just under 6Mb due to internal wiring issues.

Replacing the internal extension connection with the dedicated cable put this up to 8128 Mb Synch and doubled the noise quality figures. I started out with a 50M length and it produced the 8128 speed but with similar noise figures to the original setup.

I then shortened it to its current 15 M length once all the bends and fitting had been done to make it permanent.

The cable is now 15 meters long; which is the distance involved in my setup.

It is basically telephone cable; same size, but with the correct plugs already in place. Its not too difficult to refit the BT style plug if you have to cut the cable once you have installed it.

It is much more flexible than cat 5e cable and smaller in diameter. Clipped to the skirting board with BT wiring clips and painted over; its almost invisible. You can make sharp turns around corners to let it blend in.

I did try one of the powerline adaptors: but it was picking up interference from something; either in my house or next-door ( its a semi-detached with a common mains cable to the building; then branching off to each meter box) and frankly was not worth the money. YMMV, however, as your local electrical noise conditions are certain to be different from mine. These adaptors are not all alike, however, one review of one particular model isn't necessarily a downcheck on all of them.

Thule