Sarah's Law

Kisses4Me

Should we have a Shetland version of Sarah's Law?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a Shetland version of Sarah's Law?

• Yes
    • No

I was wondering as a mum of two and a step child should shetland have our own equivalent to the US Sarahs Law and what other parents/residents in Shetland thought about it.

As parents i think we should be allowed to know where the "undesirable" people in Shetland live therefore being more able to protect our children.

These people, unfortunately, don't come with a sign around thier necks but it would, in my opinion, make us aware of where they stay - obviously not exact address but areas at least.

It will be interesting on what the rest of Shetland think about this.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why this is necessary at all. If you did know the areas these 'undesirables' lived would that mean that you would avoid them completely? Very young children should be looked after at all times and as they get older all you can do is explain to them about keeping safe and learn to trust them.

There is already a Sarah's Law in the within the UK.

http://www.sarahslaw.co.uk/

It is being rolled out but it is not going to be the same as Megan's Law in the US.

I am not so sure about knowing where everyone on the Sex Offenders Register is, for the public, is the right idea. The public, yes should be protected, but when you can have a huge variation in the reasons folk can be put on there there needs to be some sensible thinking.

A new partner, moving into a household that has children, it has been proven to work. It is still then at the discretion of the folk involved.

Would you call a 16 year old a sex offender for having a a relationship with a 15 year old?

Or someone who may have learning difficulties or other mental issues?

Sex offenders do not however cover just acts against children, vulnerable adults too have been abused in the past. Hence the CRB check.

The last thing we should need is the lynch mob mentality, but a private disclosure with just those concerned. And then the choices.

It will be a sensitive subject, as their could, in the past have been deceit, ie a 14 year old, of any sex claiming to be much older and "duping" another into a sexual act.

This thread may bring out some other views.

I hope that they do not cause the thread to be locked or deleted, it is a very important subject and should not it self be abused.

Is it not common sense that both children and parents/guardians are leery of anyone and everyone, until such time as both child and adult knows a person well enough to be comfortable around them and trust them.

Its a damning indictment on the criminal justice system which is allegedly supposed to "reform and rehabilitate" that anyone and everyone with form is still considered a real danger even after they have been through the system. But that's no surprise, given the form of the criminal justice system....

Personally I'd be more suspicious of those without form, among them lurk those who are as guilty as sin but just haven't been caught yet, and those who are working up the bottle to get started. Of those who have been caught, while certainly there is a hard core who will never change, as they're so sexually driven they simply cannot comprehend the "wrongness" of their urges and/or lack will power to resist, I would hope there might also be a few, who having made the big mistake of going there in the first place, have, after passing through the system, reached a place where the whole experience has taught and convinced them it was a place they were never going back to in any circumstances.

Naming those with form might be fine and well to protect against the hard core who will always be a danger, but its bolting the stable door afte rthe horse has bolted as far as those for whom "reform and rehabilitate" has had some success. On top of that, it would lend itself to leaving the back door wider open than it even is at present, as having names to concentrate on would tend to focus concentration more on only that group, and lull folk in to a certain sense of false security. Leaving those among the un-named who are yet to be found out, under less scrutiny and with freer access.

Ghosty wrote

Its a damning indictment on the criminal justice system which is allegedly supposed to "reform and rehabilitate" that anyone and everyone with form is still considered a real danger even after they have been through the system. But that's no surprise, given the form of the criminal justice system....

Which criminal justice system is that?. So far as I can tell the UK operates a "crime and punishment" system and very few of the people running the system have any time to devote to rehabilitation. Or any money to spend on it given that rehabilitation may initially be more expensive than simple punishment.

I have never been "sent to prison" but I have been in various prisons as part of my work over the years including an "open prison" that was far from open since it took me ages to get in but once inside I was astonished by the laid back lifestyle of the prisoners.

But going back to the original question I am sure that informing parents of some risk to their children in, just for example, Voe might make them more vigilant but might also lead to a witch-hunt which could easily identify the wrong person and lead to them being persecuted but how would that work in Glasgow when an offender would just have to travel a few stops on the Clockwork Orange to be totally unknown?.

Actually I think the answer has to be to educate children to say that something bad is happening to them when it is happening and for the authorities to be able to differentiate between genuine claims and a bunch of kids who do not like their teacher because teacher expects them to work.

I have to agree with most of what you said there gohstrider. There are those who have reformed and have been rehabilitated and well done to them. they have seen the error of thier ways and have changed and yes there are those who slip through the net and never get caught.

As a parent i am very wary of those i let near my children but i also dont like havin to judge people and think that any one person could be "that way inclinded". I have met people that i simply did not think could have been that way and turned out to be just that. people who have/had quite respectable jobs. but then there are those who live on our doorstep who have bragged almost about thier dealings and have never even been questioned about thier activities. some of these people go under the cloak of religion, paganism and some even witchcraft.

"some of these people go under the cloak of religion, paganism and some even witchcraft."

"one of above religions is based on manipulation and untruths which doesnt help , at a certain level they do involve children inappropriately in the ceremony."

There are people from all religions, as well as people with no faith who abuse children and vulnerable people.

FYI Witchcraft comes under the banner of Paganism which is a gentle Earth-based religion which follows the principle of "harm none".

I think you might be alluding to some paedophiles who join up with other like-minded depraved individuals who believe they practice some sort of Satanic black magic? Nothing to do with Paganism whatsoever.