Salmon cages adrift

DARRON SMITH

Me wonders if it is a possibility that the owners' hands are tied by what is dictated by their Insurers and whether or not such an incident is covered by an insurance policy. I'm happy to admit I'm naive and somewhat ignorant on this, apart from many, many moons ago when I worked for marine litigation solicitors and spent one Boxing Day liaising via (I think if my memory can remember that far back!) INMARSAT as a Dutch vessel had lost half its chemical cargo - about 4 different 'bounty' salvage operators were more than happy to race to the scene knowing that there would be a hefty pay packet via Insurers.

I thought there were laws concerning safety at sea caused by hazardous/dangerous items or does that just apply to vessels?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be good perhaps. But, the crew have to get onto the vessel if the captain is under orders not to take a line. I could see there being a legal debate about whether the vessel was in imminent danger. Some owners could shout piracy perhaps, I don't know. The last thing the Coastguard would want is its crew on a stricken ship arguing about towing, these choices seem to be made when it was too late, thus endangering the lives of the Coastguard crew and the ships company. Was there not some sort of problem with getting the Braer away from danger, the captain was eventually persuaded to abandon ship because of the risk of fire, then part of the crew had to return to the vessel to get a line on from the Star Sirius.

Is there not some sort of salvage law about towing a vessel from danger? I am sure someone may know more than us about it. I was told the Braer refused a line on several occasions because of the law.

Anyone?

I think there is tracking going on with the cages, or so it seems.

Needs a new law to allow the senior Coastguard officer to declare an emergency and order whatever assistance he or she decides is necessary. If ships want to sail in our coastal waters they would just have to accept the Coastguard's or immediately set sail at full speed out of our waters (hard to do if they are broken down). After all it is our lives get lost (Green Lily) and our coastline polluted (Braer) so why should we not have laws to protect us?.

Needs a new law to allow the senior Coastguard officer to declare an emergency and order whatever assistance he or she decides is necessary. If ships want to sail in our coastal waters they would just have to accept the Coastguard's or immediately set sail at full speed out of our waters (hard to do if they are broken down). After all it is our lives get lost (Green Lily) and our coastline polluted (Braer) so why should we not have laws to protect us?.

There is a law already which allows exactly that, but only since last July.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/8/pdfs/ukpga_20110008_en.pdf

I'm not sure that it applies to salmon cages though.

It seems to me that this situation is turning into a farce.

If the only vessel capable of towing the cages , if they find them again, is the Anglian Sovereign, then regardless of the cost to the salmon company, it should be used with immediate effect.

The company may want to find the cheapest alternative, but are running the risk of a vessel getting fouled up in the cages and running into difficulties.

And another thing , i hope they don't come crawling to the SIC for a baleout :roll:

There is a law already which allows exactly that, but only since last July.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/8/pdfs/ukpga_20110008_en.pdf

I'm not sure that it applies to salmon cages though.

This International Treaty covering this, to which UK is a Party, was agreed in 2007.

It has taken until 2011 to implement it, which clearly reflects UK Governments priorities in maritime matters. The UK Shipping Minister is a disgrace to his office. The only mitigatiing factor is that he probably doesn't have enough intelligence to realise it.

So, I don't think it will apply to salmon cages, as they are not a vessel?

Even if the definitions can be stretched ... 30 miles SE of Unst will take it outside the juisdiction of the Act ?

I would have thought the reported vaule of in excess of £2M would make it an attractive salvage operation for local boats ?

I would have thought the reported vaule of in excess of £2M would make it an attractive salvage operation for local boats ?

That was maybe a possible value for fish in the nets. I don't think the plastic debris left floating has got any real value, and local boats are not able to tow it anywhere anyway.

That was maybe a possible value for fish in the nets. I don't think the plastic debris left floating has got any real value, and local boats are not able to tow it anywhere anyway.

Wis hit no da raft o metal cages hit wis moored at Belmont?

see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Transferring_salmon,_Belmont_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1598041.jpg

Wis hit no da raft o metal cages hit wis moored at Belmont?

No, it was ones from a different site.

How can plastic cages sink?

they cana but as there cages are made of metal i doot they have a better chance o sinking

12 x 100m plastic cages, as seen here in calmer weather

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj4/crofterpics/plasticcages.jpg