Xmas Dinner 2012

BigMouth

We were planning that for Xmas 2010, however when we looked into it only the raba was open :( the hotels and other restaurants were all closed, not only on Christmas day, but for nearly 2 weeks over the holidays. Hope it may change, but thats how it was "last year".

• 2 months later...

The Shetland hotel, Lerwick hotel and Kveldsro house hotel are only closed from evening 24th december and reopen for lunch on 27th and it is the same at new years; closed after lunch on 31st and open again for lunch on 2nd. I know this doesn't answer the original post but they never have been, in recent years, closed for 2 weeks over Christmas.

We like going there for healthy/lighter dinner out after our big meals at Christmas and Hogmanay.

When we looked into it for Xmas 2010, the staff at the said locations said they were not reopening till the new year, therefore should this be untrue, then staff should give out the correct information. The nearly 2 week comment I made wasn't something I made up. I am glad you have pointed out their error.

the staff at the 3 locations did not, in 2010, give the wrong information; those 3 hotels have been open exactly as the last poster says every year fo many years......the idea that 3 seperate sets of staff at 3 seperate hotels would give you the wrong information is simply not believable; and further, if you look at the shetland times leading up to xmas 2010, you will see largish adverts from the hotels advertising their hours.....

so, and she says, closed xmas eve in the evening; and 25 and 26th; reopening 27th and fully open until hogamnay evening; then fully open again 3rd...every year.

oh my .... I dont always buy the shetland times (possibly once a month if I'm lucky), but will keep that in mind for next year if the feeling takes us again for a meal over the holiday period. We instead phoned around various hotels and restaurants, all the ones we tried gave various dates for re-opening.

We did call one of the Lerwick hotels who did inform us in the new year and assumed the information given referred to all in the group (error on my part) - that staff member may have made an error, may have misheard and meant no bookings available till new year as it was fairly close to Christmas we phoned.

I am glad they are in fact open during the period.

Neither of these establishments were open for Xmas 2011. I literally tried everywhere listed in the Sheland Directory and it was only the Chinese, Indian and Nepalese in Lerwick that were open for lunch. There was a B & B in Brae who advertised late that they were doing Xmas lunches but, by the time I phoned, they were fully booked. This fact surely says that there is a need and that restaurants are missing out by not opening, especially when they can probably set high prices to cover higher staff wages etc.

It does seem as if they're missing a trick doesn't it, but then I know that one of these establishments have been open for previous xmas dinners. Maybe the fact that they're no longer opening is indicative of how few folk actually want to dine out on the big day.

This will be the first year that husband and I will be on our own and for the first time I want to go out and have xmas dinner cooked for me.

• 7 months later...