What do people in Shetland want but dont have available here

Lidl or Aldi would certainly help keep Tesco in check. Probably far more than the Co-op does.

But something I think would be good for people living in Shetland and for tourists would be a few long distance footpaths. Way marked paths that could be walked without the risk of plunging over a cliff or sinking into a peat bog. Could maybe be done by linking up old tracks and peat roads.

And I would love to see a regular farmers market in central Lerwick. Something that people from all areas could reach by bus.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JustMe I think those are superb ideas

A central monthly farmers Market would be fabulous for local and tourist alike.

What better way to get a true feel for who we are for tourists and what we have to offer. And it would really allow us to support our local farmers and crofters and craft people.

What would be a better way to back our protest of the likes of tesco etc by buying local.

The one thing I have as a thought is we do still have to be affordable at the farmers markets. If we are about our community then we have to help support it wherever we can. Encourage everyone to buy and to take the extra bother to plan a wait for the shopping day at the regular local farmers market.

Would farmers/crofters etc participate on a regular monthly basis?

But something I think would be good for people living in Shetland and for tourists would be a few long distance footpaths. Way marked paths that could be walked without the risk of plunging over a cliff or sinking into a peat bog. Could maybe be done by linking up old tracks and peat roads.

quote]

perhaps this might be puting the cat amoung the pidgons? but i persume that when we are covered wee blinking windmills they will be linked by roads right up the middle of Shetland, fine road to walk on for you there!! :wink:

Lidls are absolutely dire and make Tesco's processed, over-laden with salt and monosodium glutamate ready meals look good. :shock: Mega-processed cheap 'food' - how can you seriously say on the one hand you want a farmers' market in Lerwick and yet support the likes of Lidls, great fans of factory-farmed poultry laced with artificial hormones?

Lidls are absolutely dire and make Tesco's processed, over-laden with salt and monosodium glutamate ready meals look good. :shock: Mega-processed cheap 'food' - how can you seriously say on the one hand you want a farmers' market in Lerwick and yet support the likes of Lidls, great fans of factory-farmed poultry laced with artificial hormones?
Really? Odd... considering their fresh meat I buy has British labels. I don't buy ready meals so couldn't comment on that. But I used to go to Lidl for good quality fruit and veg (including organic) far better quality than Tesco. The bairn is also a fan of German meats, which both Tesco and Asda fail dismally at. and as any serious wine buff will tell you Lidl is well worth a look.

The only folk I've really heard slagging off Lidl are those who are too snobbish to shop there.

Actually I have never been in a Lidl (nor an Aldi) but I understand they are cheap which is what some people want (perhaps even need). Also understand that they sell fresh frut and vegetables which hopefully are not "Mega-processed".

The Lidls here is good, many products come from Europe and are cheap, though it can take some getting used to, the veg has always been very good, as said, the meat is British and cooks well. Their products can be fast moving, sometimes they will only have them for a week. There is no chit chat at the till, you pack your stuff on a shelf away from the tills, with your own bags, or you buy theirs.

You DON'T have to do all your shopping in one store, you use various stores and shops, that is how it is done to get the best of all worlds, surely you don't want one shop to do all? How else are you gonna support the local producers? How else do you get the gossip that matters?

My experience with Lidls is quite contrary to your comments UnlinkedStudent.

There was a great affordable selection of fresh veg n fruit which actually is bought rather quickly. As for ready foods, they have a much tastier and much more affordable choice than tesco. They have sandwich meats TGAT are standard and very tasty. There is a lively yogurt comes in large tub that is usually a £1. The perks are definitely the weekly specials which is everything from electronics to art n toy supplies to kitchenware to clothing and linen to tools to gardening and plants to food items n more. There are good quality items and they are reasonably priced. Sorry unlinkedstudent have to disagree with you. :)

There was a comment that we have a lovely library where children can go for a couple of hours allowing parents a chance to go shopping with out the wee ones in tow. I am an avid library user as are my children, however, children that are peerie can't be left there on their own. They are not childminders. I was referring to a playzone like the one in an Ikea that allows children to play n do their things whilst we do ours. Good therapy for both generations lol

It's giving working mums a chance to let their children enjoy an activity when possible whilst they catch up on all the restock the cupboards shop. That was the idea in general...

:)

^ re several comments on Lidl - I can only speak from my experience of visiting both Lidl and Adli in London. Many of the brands I'd never heard of and whilst certain foods were most definitely cheap, the meat was of poor quality. For example, the chickens on sale were very, very small. As a butcher's daughter, my father always taught me well concerning meat and especially the size of birds to purchase. Re comments on the meat being labelled British - the Irish Farmers Association a couple of years back complained about Lidl labelling their produce as being approved by them/meeting their standard when in fact, the majority of the products labelled as such did not. They've also had several run ins with unions regarding the way they treat their staff.

They are similar to MacDonalds who also state that they use British reared/grown produce - yeah, but what cuts of meat are they using and look how processed it is.

I don't like Tesco's, never have and yes, I have seen how dirty parts of the store are. Whilst I admit to purchasing some meat in supermarkets I do, however, try to purchase certain items from the local butchers.

1) Decent delivery times. Having to deal with certain delivery companies around here that will deliver when they basically want to, is a complete joke.

2) More larger chain places. If nothing else, it'll create competition. The "Shetland-Tax" we experience is completely insane. And often completely unjustified for no reason other than criminal profiteering. Tesco have brought a lot to the island if you ask me...

3) Better weather. I truly, truly hate the weather. :C

4) Internet connection speeds. 8mbit in 2012 is an joke. I went back to Yorkshire over Christmas and my parents have 100mbit/20mbit for £11 more a month than I pay... ¬_¬ Thankfully, we'll be getting "up to" 20mbit at some point this year.

:) no PJ it's not slag Tescos site.

I guess the part that stinks is the lie you are told by them when you say to them prices are cheaper in tesco in the south and they say no it's the same prices at all tesco.

Well, did anyone see the program at Christmas re the pricing tricks used by the supermarket chains that are deceptive? Tesco came out the worst for this. In the one example a couple was in London talking about the pricing difference they found. They showed a bag of frozen corn from tesco and it was just shy of 50 pence LESS than we pay here.

It would justbe nice not to be robbed when you go to feed your family.

Food is a staple not a luxury :)

Anyhoo I guess the bigger they are the more you can find could be improved.

:)