hi great subject

i would like a trademans who will ring back or turn up

i tried a tiler in a white van he came round priced up i was happy

he never turned up when he said he would start

shame peter

i rang t and n jonerys 2 day they didnt bother ringing back

i cant give away money in shetland

Amen to that Tonydog!!

I got someone in to do flooring for me. He did half the work and never came back. He never got paid for any of the work either. It was just Lino too.

I haven't found another person since lol

Well time to learn to lay Lino. Learned to do laminate on my own for similar reason so this can't be much harder than that :)

I do have a query re the better roads for learners...

I don't understand what you mean. Please explain.

These roads are an absolute dream I thought.

Yes there are a few potholes etc but for a learner there's no traffic and rush hour traffic etc. In that regard it's one of the perks of Shetland.

Lidls are absolutely dire and make Tesco's processed, over-laden with salt and monosodium glutamate ready meals look good. :shock: Mega-processed cheap 'food' - how can you seriously say on the one hand you want a farmers' market in Lerwick and yet support the likes of Lidls, great fans of factory-farmed poultry laced with artificial hormones?

I'd disagree with this. The meat I've bought from Lidl and Aldi - mostly chicken - is a lot better than the value range equivalents at Tesco/Sainsburys etc.

They get a really bad rep because people don't believe things can be so cheap for those prices but the fresh produce in particular is outstanding. Not sure how that would translate up here, since anything non-local would have to travel a fair distance.

Not a huge fan of having massive chains up here where a local market could do the same job, but Lidl/Aldi are no worse than Tesco and definitely better than Co-op.

I would love a Starbucks, what i would do for a strawberries and cream frappuccino!! lol

Don't see Starbucks doing much that the Peerie Shop or Osla's can't. Their coffee is overpriced, diluted rubbish, but I suppose the innovative creations like the sweet frappuccinos make up for that.

[his. The meat I've bought from Lidl and Aldi - mostly chicken - is a lot better than the value range equivalents at Tesco/Sainsburys etc.

They get a really bad rep because people don't believe things can be so cheap for those prices but the fresh produce in particular is outstanding. Not sure how that would translate up here, since anything non-local would have to travel a fair distance.

I wouldn't buy small chicken from Tesco's or Sainsbury's either but I'm also referring to the processed poultry/meat. You may think you're getting a bargain by purchasing a small chicken but you aren't - the poor thing never even got a chance to "put on a bit of meat" before it was killed!

In fairness to Lidl, I never bought veg/fruit there. I visited twice and that was enough to put me off for life - I particularly disliked the lack of choice. Granted, I'm talking over five years ago but to me, there were worse than Kwik-Save.

Not a fan of Starbucks either - overpriced, food yuck. Pret a Manger was my particular fav and I don't see why we need a coffee chain to provide coffee fixes up here - and believe me (and Ghostrider will confirm :wink: ) I is deffo a lover of real decent coffee. :D

There is an alternative to a pub of a night - Flames. I've been in it a few times and they've said they are quite happy for folk to come in and just have coffee and cake no matter what the time (well afore they close I suppose).

I think a Farmers Market in Lerwick would be a great idea. I've noticed signs for ones at Staney Hill Hall once or twice but it's usually been too late for me to organise to get there (in Bressa not allowed to drive because of medical condition).

There is an alternative to a pub of a night - Flames. I've been in it a few times and they've said they are quite happy for folk to come in and just have coffee and cake no matter what the time (well afore they close I suppose).

I've yet to get what I would call coffee in there - you know how I'm a bit of a coffee freak, I'd still like some where to go on a saturday night that didn't involve alcohol. Going out for coffee I'm afraid isn't much of a treat, especially as bad coffee made me soo ill over christmas & new year.