What do people in Shetland want but dont have available here

I've been aware of that as well Kavi over the years. People come here because it is different from South then want to make it the same.

Personally I can't think of anything that I would like here that we don't have already though I daresay I would try some of the suggestions abve if they appeared.

When I was younger it used to be a treat to go for an Indian or Chinese meal or buy Thorntons sweeties. It's not the same when you can get them any time you want.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) I must agree. It was a real treat going out to eat.

I started with this question not to change Shetlands fabulous innocence.

I don't want the same. I doubt we could ever support all that anyway.

I do think a lidl would be nice. Not asking for competing chains but perhaps a chain like Lidls will keep tesco on it's toes.

The selection of changing merchandise like that is a nice bonus.

Unlinked Student have you checked out the Tesco up here? You would be shocked at the dirt under the shelving units. The dust bunnies rival Wallace n gromits curse of the were-rabbit lol.

And the practises in the bakery area have shocked me on more than one occasion which is why I definitely do not buy those items. You know the bags of donuts filled with chocolate n custard n just sugared, well those arrive in giant plastic bags and the employees have to fill the bags and then put them out. Well, I watched a young woman pour the donuts on the counter top 4 fell to the FLOOR!! she picked them up and put them back on the pile of others to be bagged. Two other women watched gobsmacked with me. The older lady spoke to her asking her why she had done that and she lied out right to the 3 of us. When we looked for management none made themselves available.

I think we need local merchants especially on our high street but what would we as Shetlanders buy that tesco couldn't destroy like they did Clives?

What would we like to see made available by our local community?

Is there anything?

Would we like and support a proper bread making pastry making bakery for instance?

If we don't have a dominos but have a proper brick oven pizzeria that supplied yummy made to order real pizza and tasty pastas would we support that?

I agree with a place in the evenings to go that is not solely alcoholic based but what would be enjoyed?

What about a dinner theatre?

What about a place children can go for an hour or two so parents can shop enjoyable and the children can have a fun time whilst they are shopping.

Would it be great to have a proper childrens clothing store? Devoted entirely to them?

What would keep us true to ourselves and help each other and benefit the economy of Shetland?

The Peerie Trow wrote

I think we need local merchants especially on our high street but what would we as Shetlanders buy that tesco couldn't destroy like they did Clives?
Oh come on!. Tesco did not destroy Clives any more than the Co-op did. Internet shopping as in Amazon and Play.com with their vat free sales from the Channel Islands destroyed Clives. By all means blame Tesco for things they have done but leave them alone when they are innocent.

Reputable councillors would be a start

Well that's one I don't understand. I never could figure out the part politics sooth. Up here the councillors don't have to follow party line, they can vote with their conscience.

After spending far more time round council chambers (in scotland) than I really aught (great short cuts, warm smoking rooms, cheap canteens, great for gossip, free booze etc - back in the day) I figure Shetland councillors are pretty reputable, it helps that their no trying to claw their way up the party, or halt their slide down it.

I would like:

An indoor play area suitable for primary kids, the only one available is for pre-school at clickimin.

A toddler type group available at weekends, when my kids were smaller and I had to go back to work none was available as usually they are on during working hours - many working parents (and children of) miss out on these.

A cinema that is at least open at weekends - guess that may be sorted when the mareel opens?

another home furnishing shop to offer a good/wider range - current prices of furnishings is extremely high and lack of choice of wall coverings. But I guess I could use the internet?

Don't want to go on about retail too much as I do love the way of life here, different from South - shame so many shops in town have closed - but thats an arguement that is frequently visited on these forums - maybe I wish for all shops in town open that offer what consumers want at reasonable prices (I don't mind paying a wee bit more for instant retail therapy :) just not paying over the odds).

Leisure facilities open over the school holidays.

Ok ok Ghostrider calm yourself down!!

Moderation remember?

Beggar moderation, I'm far too old for that. Gotta cram in as much as possible as fast as possible afore Im kisted!

Who told you we want a Sainsburys??

Da bettir haaf, I widna ken whit Sainsburys wiz. Something aboot far bettir Nektar kairds dan klub cairds an coopins....or somethin laek dat.....:?

The Peerie Trow wrote
Oh come on!. Tesco did not destroy Clives any more than the Co-op did. Internet shopping as in Amazon and Play.com with their vat free sales from the Channel Islands destroyed Clives. By all means blame Tesco for things they have done but leave them alone when they are innocent.

I'm with you there. No other shop closed clives or or any onther shop in Lerwick or any other small town.

WE did by not using their busness and by shopping somewhere else. End of story! However the other additional reason may be the shops themselves by either over charging for goods or services, offering bad service/poor customer service etc. Thus the shoppers refuse to use them, then they close from lack of use. Sometimes the actual staff are great but the owners are the problem!

They are plenty shops that i have refused to use over the years for the above reason, sometimes i have paid even more for the item local or south, through refusing to use that perticuler shop/s for the above reasons.

The customer has the right to go where ever they want, just look back on the number of tv shops or grosers that used to be on the street over the mast few decades. Why pay £17 for a DVD, where it is £14 else where in town and even cheaper on the internet?

Back to the point i would like a Lidil in Lerwick