What do people in Shetland want but dont have available here

Aaah well I'm not allowed coffee, it has to be decaffinated, so can't comment. Totally agree with the alcohol free alternative though.

Does anyone mind Da Dry Dock that used to run at the Havely? Think it was just the weekends in the lates 90's if I mind right. No alcohol but the virgin cocktails were delicious.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent councillors and maybe a Lidl like Kirkwalls, farmer's markets all good suggestions.

More for us young folk. I was annoyed when the council said they were cutting funding in this. It's hard enough for youngsters to find things to do other than drink and do drugs, we need more to keep us active and alert. Different sports clubs, ice rink, bowling alley, even just a warm hall with responsible supervisors open most nights where sports can be played, music played/listened to and possibly even a decent photography club. Put young minds to work!!

What's the point of a big cinema, tvs get films too. The council can't afford to throw money at things that can quite easily be done without big fancy buildings.

NO MacD's, etc. :x We need to be aiming for healthier options.

Nuff said. :D

It's very much a subjective thing . I for one love my infrequent trips to the mainland and revel in the variety of pubs, clubs, eateries, shops etc that most city-dwellers take for granted. That feeling of getting off the boat in Aberdeen and knowing that not everyone in the vicinity knows you, the exciting allure and liberating anonymity of the city... London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle... Grabbing a Whopper meal or a sausage roll at greggs... reading Metro on the way back from work... going to a decent cinema...strolling through the city gardens on a Sunday.. I miss all that a lot. Especially when I'm taking the north rd to work. That barren Tundra that incomers seem to so love has always, to me, been a depressing vista - Especially compared to the beautiful wastside or sooth end, but I digress...

I'm Shetland born and bred and enjoy the enthusiasm that many have for our islands. They say familiarity breeds contempt... that is perhaps an exaggeration. I think it just means the removal of the Rose-tinted specs many here seem to be wearing. I'll always love Shetland for it's people, my family , my friends... but I remain unconvinced that a McDonnald's, a chain-pub, some decent customer service or a 24-hour shop would make us any less 'Shetland'. In fact I believe quite the opposite :P

• 3 weeks later...

Free lights for cyclists. I have almost run a couple down without lights over winter.

Cycle paths - to give both the cyclists and the pedestrians more safety.

A crossword in the local rag, but preferably not in dialect. I haven't bought one for years now.

Prosecutions for people parking on pavements. Give the wheelchair bound some thought please.

Cheaper flights.

A cheese shop selling nothing but cheese from all over the world.

Lidl

A bus north on a Sunday driven by a jovial driver. I knew that I should have applied for a house in Walls.

Roof racks on buses for noisy passengers.

A train service from Sumburgh to Hermaness.

Evening booze-free entertainment that isn't related to false gods or sporting activities.

Waling paths like the Hermaness ones. I am sure that some of the suggested walking routes weren't properly tried out.

A charge for all supermarket bags. You knew that you were going to the supermarket.

Home delivery of shopping.

A way of signing for packages when you are out to save you having to make a trip to the Post Office or couriers.

A decent italian restaurant.

A charge for all supermarket bags. You knew that you were going to the supermarket.

Home delivery of shopping.

A way of signing for packages when you are out to save you having to make a trip to the Post Office or couriers.

I know of at least one local shop that does all 3 of these