Fighting with everyone on the weekend

Work a 48 hour week

Often go without a lunch hour

Never finish on time

Moved around every five years

Scoop up dead people

Tell people their loved ones are dead

More paperwork than any other job

All this for about £20,000 a year and 23 days holiday (no public holidays). Oh and did I mention they have to pay taxes.

The best bit of all they are always told how to do their job but never tell others how to do their jobs

Sit in a car for most of the day holding a speed gun

Get bored and occasionally stop a driver for a "routine check"

Be fluent in Sarcasm

Walk with a ridiculous swagger, with your hands seemingly attached to your hips

Diffuse the occasional drunk fight by reprimanding someone for swearing (ie "What?! it was that b*stard and his pals that started on me! I've got a bloody broken face!" - you're knicked ! )

Be bullied in your youth, but get "revenge" by intimidating others, whilst hidding behind your uniform

All for £22,770 (after completing one years basic training)

... :wink:

PS - before anyone sends the boys in blue around I know they mainly do a good job - I'm only messing.

http://blog.glennf.com/images/mt/Wiggum.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be the police:

Fighting with everyone on the weekend

Work a 48 hour week

Often go without a lunch hour

Never finish on time

Moved around every five years

Scoop up dead people

Tell people their loved ones are dead

More paperwork than any other job

All this for about £20,000 a year and 23 days holiday (no public holidays). Oh and did I mention they have to pay taxes.

The best bit of all they are always told how to do their job but never tell others how to do their jobs

Sounds a tad similar to being a Firefighter, Mr TA is one, apart from points:

1. Not fighting with folk but getting bricks etc thrown at them just for turning up to a non existant fire

5. Not every five years and far less intrusive than upping sticks. He turns up at work and gets told to he's working at Glasgow, Edinburgh etc (He works in the northern part of the Central Area), I don't get why they can't call him before he goes to tell him to me that's just a waste of time travelling (mind you I've probably missed some big reason why this is so :oops: )

I can't believe how much time you both have to do paperwork, it's unreal. I'm sure paperwork is needed but that much!

Our downstairs neighbour is a policeman in Edinburgh so they've spoken about their jobs a few times, mostly taking the proverbial out each other as I'm sure you can imagine!

I don't think I could do either of your jobs just glad there are folk out there that can and do.

is being a paramedic. or nurse any better, and as for being a hospital domestic, treated like the mess you clean up all day, bullied by staff. and visitors alike, all for £5.70 an hour.

I do agree with you there. Have a couple of friends who have been hospital domestics and they were treated really badly.

Have a couple of friends who have been hospital domestics and they were treated really badly.

Is this in Shetland? I've heard the GBH has a really bad reputation for the way it treats its service staff.

No wasna in GBH. Was quite a few back in Dundee, I think, don't know what it like now.

• 3 weeks later...
not sure there's much i can say, without sounding off personally or giving away EXACTLY wha i am,

hello dear bridder o mine! :P

as for the subject, ive had a few bad employers however the job i am in now is a perfectly nice place to work, the manager does need to work on his managerial skills, as there is a VERY high staff turnover. To be fair to him i don't think he ever set out to be manager and only sticks with it for the money.

I would have to say the worst place I have worked is the Skippidock mind you when I worked there is was a much busier place but you were talked to like you were something on there shoe. I know that when you run a business you have to keep an eye on what is going on with your staff but you can really take it too far and as for the sour faced women that used to work there well if you can recall them you will know what I am talking about!!

I agree with the post about the SIC and how it sweeps issues under the carpet and makes employees feel guilty when voiceing concerns about their work environments, but it is NOT in every office and there are a few, not many offices within the SIC that are a plesure to work in.

But i still think the one of the biggest problems within the SIC are the vast amount of bithcing the goes on I know that it happens everywhere but I think that in a small community like Shetland I can esculate into a raging monster.

Well thats my rant about former employers out of the way now (Thank you very needed! :D ) and I am sure there will be someone somewhere racking there brains to figure out how I am!! Im not telling :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have to say the worst place I have worked is the Skippidock mind you when I worked there is was a much busier place but you were talked to like you were something on there shoe. I know that when you run a business you have to keep an eye on what is going on with your staff but you can really take it too far and as for the sour faced women that used to work there well if you can recall them you will know what I am talking about!!

ive worked there aswel, 20 minute break to last the whole day was not my cup of tea!