Biomass plant for Yell leisure centre and school...

voicebox

could waste peat not be turned into pellets and burned (after all once the roads for the turbine farms are built we will have loads to use). that would save loads of road miles.

Whats wrong with a turbine pj or have you now come out of the closet and admitted that you just don't like the looks. for producing heat and storing it . it would be ideal. I don't see the sense in importing fuel from south or norway to run stuff in yell.

there was a study done on some sedge of some kind that may be better for up here. it would be daft to waste good growing land on willow. what about a methane generator. with all the septic tanks there would be a ready supply of fuel for free.

think my brain is going...have I got this right. a special boiler/burner is needed to burn special pellets/fuel made from i think trees that we don't have. the fuel is to be transported around from production site to mid yell. why can't a rubbish burner be used and all crap burnt to fuel whatever- except of course for the carbon emissions.

some where along the way I've missed something.

reply in very short words please i'm feeling frazzled.

nah nothings been missed think your spot on mandy, just take another look at whos putting this all togther. same names over and over! how one person can be a specilist at anything which seems to get good grants and council money is beyond me!

mabye we can turn the apex gym in to an energy generator for the new anderson high,

its laughable!

sorry but even south every new school dosent come with its own wood pellet burner! if any!

and since when has burning wood been enviormentally friendly? i thought we were ment to stop using fossil fuel hmmmmmmm

nah nothings been missed think your spot on mandy, just take another look at whos putting this all togther. same names over and over! how one person can be a specilist at anything which seems to get good grants and council money is beyond me!

mabye we can turn the apex gym in to an energy generator for the new anderson high,

its laughable!

sorry but even south every new school dosent come with its own wood pellet burner! if any!

and since when has burning wood been enviormentally friendly? i thought we were ment to stop using fossil fuel hmmmmmmm

Wood is not a fossil fuel. It's part of the natural carbon cycle. Oil, coal and natural gas are fossil fuels.

however getting the wood transporting it to a chipping mill. Then shipping the chips to the nearest port sailing for 300 miles and then transporting it another 40-50 on roads uses quite a bit of the oily stuff. so its treated as a none fossil fuel burning tons of oil to get it to the bio mass burner is not.

the idea is to use local fuels importing them is going the wrong way about becoming green. wind tide peat are the local fuels. again a methane generator would help prevent pollution.

we must ask how is this project being funded.

I totally agree, paulb. Unless you've got a couple of large fields next to the burner planted with willow and ready for coppicing, then it certainly won't be carbon neutral.

The thing is, how long would it take to grow the willow to the required size to harvest it? 3 years? 5?

Oh, and someone above mentioned burning rubbish. As far as I know, all the rubbish in Shetland which can't be re-cycled goes into the incinerator at the Lerwick waste heat plant to power the district heating scheme.