Greenhill remains a consultant

paulb

...or maybe the chap who got the job he was after would take on whatever needs doing, as might be expected?

The SIC suffers from a real 'consultancy culture'. It'd be interesting to see what some of these consultants actually produce, set it against their pay, and then decide if they're value- for- money. While Mr. Buchan never stops telling us, 'because they're worth it', I'm not so sure (and I say that from personal experience working with a consultant used by the SIC; big invoice, little benefit).

Trains and gravy, perhaps?

read the artical and thought excatly the same thing!!! its re-structuring at its best, pay-off and then re hire (most likely on a very nice hourly rate!) surely the public will have something to say about this as well!!

surely the council should be employing people that know the field they will be working and not just anyone and then use a consultant for everything??

dosent make sense to me but then who am I!

whilst they pay there own NIs, etc you will find that there hourly rate or daily rate will compensate them for this, im not sure it can be cheaper, in my industry day raters are paid more than twice a employed person 1 - theres uncertainty about how long your work will last. 2 you can be as to work at short notice 3 you cover all own travel expenses

if hes a good consultant why not have just kept him employed? and paid of one of the lower down guys?

im guessing its all to do with budgets, so basically just a paperwork waste of money excercise, id love to know what a consultant does!

yeh right. How much did mr clark get for his quick holiday up here. maybe not quite that high but i bet it was not far off.

That was a different situation entirely, and the council probably got off pretty lightly in that case too. Lets just hope people still remember about it when the ballot box comes calling again.

Valid point to the thread however. I can understand how consultants can occasionally be economical, but surely if someone is already employed it is better to retain them until no longer required.

There are many outgoings with employment. I cost my employer about 2.5 times more that I get. As do many folk. There are employer NI payments, pensions (if you work for a good employer), holiday pay, sick pay, training, vehicles, uniform, insurance, if not more. If someone was employed on 60k, it could cost 150k to employ them. Now for that money, many consultants are about £500 a day, and you employ them for 50 days, it is cheaper. But, you can make up your own scenarios to suit any argument, but do you know the facts? What budget do consultants get paid from? How much is he getting? How much was he getting?

Very true, and of course it is none of our business to be speculating about any individual and what they may or may not be earning.

I think this is a perfect example of where the much advertised but little heard from communications team/department or whatever the correct term is should come in to play.

Situations like these are abound to cause specualtion, rumours and outright gossip, 99% of which, usually, is complete hellery which does nobody any good.

Simple communication, saying why decisions were taken with savings expressed as percentages would stop all that. And of course if there are to be additional costs, then provide the justification. Communications role shouldn't just be to provide good news..

well lets ask shetlandpeat how he would handle it in preston. after all he has council experiance. would preston city council act this way. would you be impressed to see this happening.

the thread was not a dig at the guy. he could have been very good I don't know just strange to make someone redundant and then hire them back.

now they employ an ex consultant to the following

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/01/19/new-finance-chief-for-council

yet we have them do this

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/01/19/councillors-will-decide-on-cuts-without-economic-impact-study

and they are ment to be improving.