Sub Letting Council houses...Disgraceful!!

cj79

This should be stopped?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. This should be stopped?

• Agree
    • Disagree

I would just like to express my opinion on the council housing situation as it stands at present in Shetland.

I think it is diabolical that tenants (who aren't even currently living in the island, never mind their council house) can sub let their council property just to make a pretty profit when there are hundreds of people actually in need of housing.

I have come across a 2 bed property looking to be rented out which I understand is a council property and the owner is asking for £800 per month which I think is absolutely RIDICULOUS! It is located in town also which would be much better off being given to someone in need of a home. It's a complete joke!

I am not writing this with anger because I personally need a house, because I don't. I am just merely putting it out there for those who don't realise what a joke this situation is. I do not agree with sub-letting council properties to make a profit at all! I think it is something that should be addressed and might slightly ease the current poor housing situation.

***Sorry I did already post this in the 'Welcome to Shetlink' area but realised it wasn't the right area!! More people viewing this section. So if a moderator wants to remove it from the other place that's ok, couldn't figure out if I could edit it or not. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Report it to the council, I don't think you can sub-let a council property, it can be signed over to a new tenent at rental cost, but not sub-letted - then again I may be naive.

However, I also believed if a property owned by the council that was left unoccupied to be taken back after 3 months - I know of a council property (in Lerwick) that has been unoccupied for at least 3 years (except when they rarely collect the mail).

If what you say is true, then the situation needs to be addressed.

Yes it is based on fact actually. I know the address and owner of the house (who isn't even currently living in the island).
Owner of the house?. Does this mean it is an ex council house which the then tenant purchased under Right to Buy legislation. If so they can rent it to anyone for as much as they can get and frankly there is nothing can be done about it.

On the wider issue council tenants may, with the permission of the council, sub let a house when they are away for some legitimate reason but are intending to return. Rent is limited to council rent plus a bit for furniture and expenses.

It most certainly is true. It's in the classifieds on here. If you phone up the given number and enquire you will in fact find out it is a council property. I just don't really agree with it when so many people are in need of housing. Fair enough if it is agreed through the council and they just pay the council rent but £800 is blatantly looking for quite a profit and I think it's not right.

No sorry I didn't mean owner, it is still a council house. Even if arranged through the council would £800 still not be a ridiculous price?
If a tenant tries to rent out their council house without permission from the council or, even with permission, tries to get more rent that the council limit them to then that is grounds for eviction which then means they are classed as "intentionally homeless"........if that rule still applies.