Derelict Houses

Angel

The OP clearly stated 'derelict' and 'clearly been empty quite some time'

How would they know these things for sure without at the very least taking a damn good nosey through the windows etc? The "apparent" outward appearance of a building from a "respectful" distance gives no clue whatsoever as to what may lie and/or occur within.

........unlike some that seem to create argument for the sake of it.

:lik:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angel, I feel sorry how this thread has gone, some people just can't help gragging thread through a mire, anyway, my advice is find out who owns the property, give them a call or visit them and tell them your thoughts, if they tell you to p1ss-off they tell you to p1ss-off......SIMPLES :lol:

Obviously from post 3 and on the toys have been thrown out of the pram :wink:

cdboy2002 I feel the same as you do - i have fallen in love with several houses (be they derelict or not) without knowing much about them! This thread is a great example of what i hate about Shetlink - someone asks an innocent question and are basically attacked for it! Shame on you negative people who clearly have nothing better to do than pick holes in everything!

This thread is a great example of what i hate about Shetlink - someone asks an innocent question and are basically attacked for it! Shame on you negative people who clearly have nothing better to do than pick holes in everything!

Call it what you like, just a "friendly" attempt to "head them off at the pass". If (s)he, or anyone else comes my way being told to "p1ss-off" will be the very least they have to worry about - sick and bloody tired of nosey ******* sticking it in....

Good luck to them finding a suitable property, and an owner welcoming their advances - many are anything but that, and I am one of them.

Its private property, F Off!

The negative posts here are a perfect example why Shetlink is dying a death!

And I have experience of some weirdo trying to move in to a 'derelict' property that was owned by my family. A simple 'conversation' put him right and sent him on his way.

I canna see the problem with asking though???

Haha, I can actually believe this thread has gone this way, someone asks a simple question, looking for a bit of advice then someone gets on the high horse and away you go.........bloody pathetic...... and the downside of this entire forum, blighted by a few who think they know it all!

^ and look how many can't be bothered to google on behalf of the OP and tell them the answer to their question!

Deffo no harm in asking a question - but what does (perhaps unintentionally) the first sentence of the OP imply? How did you read it?

Hey, but no doubt when compulsory purchase orders are made on anyone living within the wind farm area peeps will feel that iit is okay for the powers that be to go down that route.

I don't know it all and don't pretend I do. I do, however, recall being told that many croft houses traditionally remain in family ownership and do go on the market if those who have inherited have no iinterest in continuing with the croft or perhaps will gladly sell the house to pay off their own mortgage on other property and don't want to live in the croft house. In the current financial climate, I doubt very much that somebody would have thought about selling but not got round to it, as has been suggested.

If the SIC were vague then it was probably because they are aware of the circumstances surrounding that particular property; after all, it is in their interests to have a property occupied so they can collect Council Tax from it.

Again, I say good luck to Angel but personally speaking, to ask for information on a property you have seen and the first arrow fired is from a legal point (which to me suggests the OP wants to ascertain whether or not the owner could be forced into selling), wouldn't endear me as a potential vendor. PERHAPS this wasn't their intention though and I have misconstrued the situation.

There's a guy on classified ads trying to buy a rowing boat to do a bit of summer fishing. He hasn't made it clear in his ad what his boating experience is and worse still hasn't let us know if he has a lifejacket, gps or VHF. Shouldn't Ghosty/unlinked student advise him that this really isn't on?

op just ask the locals. most folks won't mind.

the wife found this place at west sandwick and fell in love with it.

http://coastal.keepscotlandbeautiful.org/scottish-beach.asp?beach=74

it was being used for a chicken coop. the wife found out the owner and went to see them. she spent a good half hour chatting to them. they were not intrested in selling but the were happy to chat.

as long as you don't go in with an attitude people showing an intrest in a properly adbandoned house. will normally be treat fine.

however a lot of the old croft houses were abandonded when the council helped the crofter build a newer house on the site. taking on a tumbling down old croft house will not be a cheap option.

Ah, another classic Shetlink thread. Unintentional hilarity all round.

And is it just me, or is this one of the strangest and most outlandish claims on here in quite a while?

It may have escaped your attention that a large percentage humans have this habit of judging whether a property is "derelict" and "empty" on little more than a passing glance (based on their own perception of how a "derelict"/"empty" property is "supposed" to look), and having made that judgement then proceed to believe that is is "acceptable" to nosey around the place, and try and browbeat anyone in any way connected with the property to have it sold to them, regardless of whether someone is still staying in it on either a whole time or part time basis or otherwise.

A 'large percentage [of?] humans' do all that? Really? What are we talking here: 50, 60, 70 per cent of 'humans' actually try to browbeat the owners of rundown-looking properties into selling their houses? Is this just in Shetland, or is it a worldwide fact?

I suspect the OP might have got a more polite and useful answer to their question had they posted it on the Bernard Cribbens fanclub forum (if such a thing exists, which it should).

Welcome to Shetland!

Ah, another classic Shetlink thread. Unintentional hilarity all round.

And is it just me, or is this one of the strangest and most outlandish claims on here in quite a while?

It may have escaped your attention that a large percentage humans have this habit of judging whether a property is "derelict" and "empty" on little more than a passing glance (based on their own perception of how a "derelict"/"empty" property is "supposed" to look), and having made that judgement then proceed to believe that is is "acceptable" to nosey around the place, and try and browbeat anyone in any way connected with the property to have it sold to them, regardless of whether someone is still staying in it on either a whole time or part time basis or otherwise.

A 'large percentage [of?] humans' do all that? Really? What are we talking here: 50, 60, 70 per cent of 'humans' actually try to browbeat the owners of rundown-looking properties into selling their houses? Is this just in Shetland, or is it a worldwide fact?

Can't comment on "worldwide", but with the numbers that have turned up in Shetland since the 70's openly displaying the attitude, the percentage cannot be inconsiderable. And that's without factoring in those whose whose attitude is unknown, but regardless of what it is, seem to think its okay to nosey in windows etc of any remote house that takes their fancy.

Of course, given that you clearly don't believe one word of mine that you've quoted, I don't expect you to believe my final sentence above eitrher.... So, let me refer you to a much more respected reference source than me for it, read Sheila Gear's book....

I suspect the OP might have got a more polite and useful answer to their question had they posted it on the Bernard Cribbens fanclub forum (if such a thing exists, which it should).

Welcome to Shetland!

I suspect the OP might have got a more polite and useful answer to their question, had they asked it it in a more respectful and polite manner....