Derelict Houses

Angel

Shoogler - couldn't agree more! Ghosty and Unlinked student really must get a grip! They create non-existent problems, then offer unsolicited advice and in this case have reduced what could have been a friendly conversation based on the original question to a complete farce. The original question didn't to my mind suggest anything of the sort that they've read into it. Shetland and Shetlanders didn't use to be like this.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoogler - couldn't agree more! Ghosty and Unlinked student really must get a grip! They create non-existent problems, then offer unsolicited advice and in this case have reduced what could have been a friendly conversation based on the original question to a complete farce. The original question didn't to my mind suggest anything of the sort that they've read into it. Shetland and Shetlanders didn't use to be like this.

I have to agree with this as well.

It seems that in this case, the original post didn't warrant one any of the criticism and nastiness that has been generated. The original poster should/could have been responded to in a friendly and welcoming manner but was instead attacked in a way that I feel was totally unwarranted within this forum and community.

I might now think twice before asking for advice in future here now. This forum has been excellent for me since I arrived in these beautiful islands but it seems to have been taken over by a small clique that has other plans for the way it should be run.

I have to agree with this as well.

It seems that in this case, the original post didn't warrant one any of the criticism and nastiness that has been generated. The original poster should/could have been responded to in a friendly and welcoming manner but was instead attacked in a way that I feel was totally unwarranted within this forum and community.

I might now think twice before asking for advice in future here now. This forum has been excellent for me since I arrived in these beautiful islands but it seems to have been taken over by a small clique that has other plans for the way it should be run.

Agreed. :cry:

There is a consultation document that may have helped Angel. Unfortunately, the submission date was by the 10th of January 2012. There are moves to increase the Council Tax on empty properties, currently, it can be as low as 10%. I am not sure if the owner reverts the land back to agricultural use and uses the building as a hen house, I would, well logic would dictate that it would then fall into the assessments of the whole of the land it is on.

The SGOV are looking at increasing the tax, so, more of an incentive to get it occupied, or re-classed through planning committee or delegation.

SGOV are also seeking views on removing the Housing Support Grant as soon as 2013. This only affects one council in Scotland.

So, it seems that the council do get an income from empty properties, though the first 6 months they can be exempt.

You may either see a wrath of houses being turned into hen houses or being done up.

ISBN 978 1 78045 435 1

It will be on the web as well.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/10/17105007/0

Does anyone have any idea on the laws etc of derelict houses?

Yes.

SP, there are already schemes by the Scot Gov whereby LAs are encouraged to work with the relevant property owners before going to the Tribunal to seek possession to bring a property back into use. However, given that the SIC would incur costs and appear not to be capable of maintaining certain properties already, it would appear that the SIC have taken the stance that they do not want to participate in the existing scheme. In addition, as I mentioned previously, who wants to run the risk of applying for a grant which does not always prove successful and end up with an Order forcing repairs. If said property is in a built-up area then all well and good for the SIC to ensure nobody gets harmed by falling masonry/whatever, but if it is rural with just a private road then what harm is it doing?

Conservation orders can help. They can attract other monies from funds in Europe. They could also force the owner to at least keep the property to a standard, if only from the front. I would not want to see old rural Shetland disappear because folk think there is no need to care. Many of these buildings hold some important part of Shetlands history. Take the Bod of Gremista for one. I remember going for runs in the car with Rhoda Bulter and her telling of all the folk who had stayed in many of the old crofts we saw roofless and in the middle of no where. Some a mere pile of rubble.

There are many buildings in Lerwick and Shetland that I have fallen in "love" with. One was the Crofters Arms, that was the thought of owning it. Lochend House and Luna House, I have also wondered many a time on how would owning and living in the battery on the Ness o Sound would work and of course my Grannie and Grandads house, more for many happy memories.

Fine....Plain talking time.

I appreciate that to some folk a property in addition to being a comfortable living area/shelter is viewed as an investment/status symbol/so much concrete and wood etc, to be "traded" as and when. Cool, whatever pulls their chain.

However, to others, particularly where there has been a family connection to the property for some time, it can be viewed in a wholly different light. Regardless whether the owner, or anyone else lives in it or not, regardless what its physical condition becomes, and regardless of what plans, if any, the owner has for it, it has a value to a person who views it in that light, that only rarely can be bought with cash.

Such a property, to a person who views it in such a way is seen as a visible, physical and real connection to their ancestors, sometimes stretching back in to double figures of generations. The thought to them of disposing of such a property goes beyond just "sentimental value", it is seen as effectively "selling off" or "throwing away" their roots and heritage for so many pieces of silver, and as such is unthinkable. Some people can be "bought", others will choose to die rather than sell out on their beliefs, each to their own.

In the case of folk who see property in the way described first instance above, the approach etc being taken by the OP and being recommended by some posters to this thread will be received as well as and other, as after all it will be the £££ signs which talk at the end of the day, and nothing else.

However, in the case of folk who see property in the way described in the second instance above, almost any approach with a view to obtaining the property from its current owner will be received as extremely unwelcome, invasive, and hostile. Add to the equation any hint of involving the "law" or "officialdom", as the OP has clearly demonstrated they are prepared to do by mentioning such in their post, and that reaction is likely to be strongly defensive, if not actively offensive.

I stand by my original reply on page one, and really do not comprehend how this thread has snowballed in to the slagging off match it has. I simply said, proceed with caution, and do as much homework as possible before stepping up to the plate, as while being warmly welcomed is quite possible, being met by the business end of a shotgun, a knuckle sandwich, or being told foricbly to "Just F*** RIGHT Off!" is equally possibly, and usually offends

How can I be so sure, I am one of the folk who sees property as described in the second instance above.

in the wetern isles the crofting communities are trying to get young folks to come and live within there communities. this is something that needs to happen here. if not the communities are just going to get older and service will go like schools.

its fine having reminders of your family but a house was intended to be lived in and when we have a silly number on the waiting lists desperate for a home it time they were used again.

would the person great great grandfather have prefered there croft house as a ruin or would they have liked to see all there hard work being used and looked after.

if the crofts had remained small a they were ment to and were not merged into bigger and bigger units there would also be more people living in the communities. maybe its time that a crofter can only hold a small number of holdings.