Derelict Houses

Angel

Does anyone have any idea on the laws etc of derelict houses?

Yes.

Does the legal definition of "derelict" not mean that property has been abandoned and/or has no owner?

I read the OP to mean "looks run down" rather than "abandoned" but perhaps Angel will clarify.

Does adverse possession apply in Scotland?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear Hear Paul I totally agree with you..There used to be grants for brining back derelic houses.

Surely it would be better to bring these once loved homes back to life and give families the chance to live in something that is unique..Instead if sitting on a waiting list for years...

I stand by my original reply on page one, and really do not comprehend how this thread has snowballed in to the slagging off match it has. I simply said, proceed with caution, and do as much homework as possible before stepping up to the plate, as while being warmly welcomed is quite possible, being met by the business end of a shotgun, a knuckle sandwich, or being told foricbly to "Just F*** RIGHT Off!" is equally possibly, and usually offends

In other words, you're saying that a large proportion of Shetland homeowners are violent lunatics. ( How else would you describe somebody who would brandish a firearm at, or instantly assault, a polite stranger? )

Perhaps this inaccurate and insulting description of Shetlanders is why you're getting a "slagging off"?

its not the croft that is the problem it is the cost of decrofting a house if the crofters comission would work with the local authorities and reduce the cost or absorb the cost of doing so their would be a large no of rebuildable properties available for the younger population to rebuild for their use and encourage local comunities to expand so creating a viable rural lifestyle in shetland

As far as I can understand the problem of empty croft houses is mainly the way the law stands . If someone acquires a croft with a dwelling house which he or she do not require for there own use it is better to let it go to ruin than let someone rent it because it is virtually impossible to evict someone, should you be unlucky to get an undesirable tenant.

Also the right to buy after a given period of time applies & this also can be a problem

maybe the sic and the crofters commision could get together and work something out. a vague daft idea is that the commision could buy the house sites and decroft them and offer them free/ subject to conditions for younger families willing to commit to living there for a while. it would posibly be a great training/ employment idea to support the building industry. plus it would be a sound investment.

I stand by my original reply on page one, and really do not comprehend how this thread has snowballed in to the slagging off match it has. I simply said, proceed with caution, and do as much homework as possible before stepping up to the plate, as while being warmly welcomed is quite possible, being met by the business end of a shotgun, a knuckle sandwich, or being told foricbly to "Just F*** RIGHT Off!" is equally possibly, and usually offends

In other words, you're saying that a large proportion of Shetland homeowners are violent lunatics. ( How else would you describe somebody who would brandish a firearm at, or instantly assault, a polite stranger? )

No.

Your assessment is flawed, firstly by the assumptions that any "assault" (couldn't possibly be "self-defence" in some scenarios perhaps, could it??) would be instant, and that any and all enquirers will be polite.

Secondly....Well, best get the firstlys sorted first....

That said, if someone feels like labelling me a "psycopath" and/or "lunatic", I have no problem with that, I've been called much worse. :wink: Sticks and stones, and all that....

I hear Muppet Show music.

I see dead people.

I see fetishes… it's better than seeing dead people.

Wanna see some dead Muppet fetishes?

http://oi41.tinypic.com/lun1k.jpg

I don't believe Ghostie is into blondes or dead Muppet fetishes but I'll ask Him. :wink:

Does anyone have any idea on the laws etc of derelict houses?

Yes.

Does the legal definition of "derelict" not mean that property has been abandoned and/or has no owner?

I read the OP to mean "looks run down" rather than "abandoned" but perhaps Angel will clarify.

Does adverse possession apply in Scotland?

Well I ain't answering because apparently:-

... it is this kind of 'scrutiny' of every word people write that is strangling the Shetlink forums...

... despite the fact that the very interpretation and legal definition of "derelict" is highly relevant to the OP's question.

... Right to roam is one thing and taken to logical end includes peering in empty house windows. Right to bird watch seems in Shetland to include making washing dirty...

A tad unsure if you are saying peering in empty house windows is permitted under right to roam or not.

Extract from the code:-

"5 The main places where access rights do not apply are:

• houses and gardens, and non-residential buildings and

associated land;

• land in which crops are growing;

• land next to a school and used by the school;

• sports or playing fields when these are in use and where the

exercise of access rights would interfere with such use

2.11 Access rights do not apply in the following places

Land on which there is a house, caravan, tent or other place

affording a person privacy or shelter, and sufficient adjacent

land to enable those living there to have reasonable

measures of privacy and to ensure that their enjoyment of

the house or place is not unreasonably disturbed. The extent

of this land may depend on the location and characteristics

of the house (see paragraphs 3.13 to 3.17).

Other buildings and their curtilage

3.18 Access rights do not extend to the curtilage of any other

building. Generally, such land will normally be closely

connected, physically and in terms of purpose, to the building

and forming one enclosure with it. It will usually be possible to

judge what is the curtilage of a building by the presence of

some physical feature such as a wall, fence, an area of

hardstanding or some other physical boundary. Where there is

no physical feature, you will need to make a judgement about what land is used together with a building. When exercising

access rights close to such buildings, use your common sense

and remember to respect the privacy and peace of mind of

those working there."

Looks like they didn't have the right to be in your garden then.

I'll bring the popcorn. :wink:

I'd like to share said popcorn but a tad worried as it tends to be rather noisy when consumed. :wink:

Anyway, none of us know whether the property in question is in a rural area or in town, etc.

No.

Your assessment is flawed, firstly by the assumptions that any "assault" (couldn't possibly be "self-defence" in some scenarios perhaps, could it??) would be instant, and that any and all enquirers will be polite.

I was assuming that if the OP was going to offer to buy somebody's house, they've have the wit not to attack or verbally abuse the current owner in the process.

that would be extreme estate agenting then.

how about getting back onto topic now.

anyway ghosty may well enjoy dressing as a frog and its not really important if he wants to. but come on keep your pleasures between yourselves some of use have had a very sheltered lives.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/275628_100000554474549_658152915_n.jpg

^^ Its by no means uncommon for folk to be the epitome of politeness, yet also be obnoxious in the extreme when they appear incapable of taking "No" for an answer, and persist in trying to "persuade" you to change your mind - think door-to-door sales(wo)men, JW's etc.... Neither is it uncommon for folk to become physical without being agressive - You tell someone clearly "No", and attempt to walk away to reinforce your point, and they take hold of your arm/sleeve and attempt to stop you/turn you back around to face them.

Yes, folk are generally polite and respectful to others, but having experienced the antics of far more folk than I care to think about standing on the doorstep trying to either sell (be it naff oddsized carpet offcuts or God) or obtain something, I have no doubt that it is a situation that brings out the very worst in a large number of folk. Especially those who are trying to make a killing/obtain a bargain, or are trying to obtain something they have decided they, really, really, really, really, really just must have.....