Derelict Houses

Angel

What a ridiculous thread this quickly turned into after an innocent request for advice.. :roll:

So we now know that she has stated she did not 'peer in the windows'; I never stated she had, I asked the OP a question. Until Angel posted that she hadn't, we didn't know. Hey, up until that point we couldn't even have presumed said property had any windows.:wink:

Your first comment to the OP (a self-proclaimed "rant") started with the rather unnecessarily hostile broadside, "Question to the OP: And how exactly have you "fallen in love" with a house you've never seen the insides of? Oh, does that mean you've had a good old nosy peak through the windows? Marvellous. ... ...Rant over".

Re 'peering into windows-gate', while there is indeed a question mark there, it reads more like a rhetorical question. Answering it yourself with the comment "marvellous" reads like you've already made that assumption. You then refer to the Shetlink T&Cs/guidelines by quoting, "Avoid sweeping statements and generalised moaning."

Hilarious! You couldn't make this stuff up!

Tis not "unhinged" actually. Read it how you will; there were two questions so I should have put an "s" on the end.

I broke the guidelines by not being particularly calm when typing my reply, as given the wording of the OP, I wasn't sure how to read it, given the opening sentence and, for that matter, the rest of it. Yep, I was sarcastic by using the word "Marvellous" and I can see your point. I had not, however, made the assumption that the OP had peered through windows.

Rant refers to being a longish reply.

Hilarious - shame you comment on one part of a post only and not the rest.

Anything to say re assisting Angel perhaps?

Edited due to being interrupted whilst posting.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis not "unhinged" actually. Read it how you will; there were two questions so I should have put an "s" on the end.

I broke the guidelines by not being particularly calm when typing my reply, as given the wording of the OP, I wasn't sure how to read it, given the opening sentence and, for that matter, the rest of it. Yep, I was sarcastic by using the word "Marvellous" and I can see your point. I had not, however, made the assumption that the OP had peered through windows.

IMO it doesn't read that way but..whatever..

Rant refers to being a longish reply.

With a :evil: emoticon at the end.

Hilarious - shame you comment on one part of a post only and not the rest.

Why? One doesn't have to comment on everything someone posts when replying? There's enough verbosity flying about without me adding screeds to it.

Anything to say re assisting Angel perhaps?

No. It's all been said. See 'verbosity' above.

What a ridiculous thread this quickly turned into after an innocent request for advice.. :roll:

Yes, it was an innocent request for advice, but that was only established after the OP returned and provided further information/clarified the request.

Perhaps those who see the original request as only being innocent, like the OP themselves, do not see/appreciate/believe or then choose not to believe the negative/objectionable insinuations contained within it, that some of us most definitely see and object to.

Perhaps those who see the original request as only being innocent, like the OP themselves, do not see/appreciate/believe or then choose not to believe the negative/objectionable insinuations contained within it, that some of us most definitely see and object to.

Or perhaps you were being a little bit over-sensitive?

Fifi, we are all entitled to our opinions and thank you for sharing yours. Mine, however, remains; I find it absolutely marvellous that somebody can even consider purchasing a property by falling in love with it without seeing the insides. However, as others have pointed out, some people do fall in love with properties simply by how they look from the outside.

@Justme - haven't a clue.

Am I right in thinking that SIC has some sort of policy about not restoring old houses. Is this everywhere, just those without mains services or maybe even just those on uninhabited islands.

Are you thinking of the change of use that a real ruin would need along side the planning. there may be some covant in the deeds if a new home has been built with assistance from the council.

did the council overturn the planners on that house on the empty island and yes they don't want to provide services to the odd house on the empty islands.

unlink please remember that we sent you photos of the house you were thinking of buying before you moved up including pictures taken through the windows. yes its diffrent as the estate agent messed us around but not by a lot.

unlink please remember that we sent you photos of the house you were thinking of buying before you moved up including pictures taken through the windows. yes its diffrent as the estate agent messed us around but not by a lot.

Oh, I was waiting for this. The difference is that we had permission - I spoke to the owners, namely the mortgage company who had repossessed. In addition, the property was on the market.

Edit: And I also spoke to the Estate Agents before you visited their offices, and your assistance we were grateful for. Granted, the Estate Agents were a right pain!

Or perhaps you were being a little bit over-sensitive?

Having been on the receiving end of a situation similar to described in the OP more than once in the past, and still being in a position where it could happen again at any time, and quite probaby will happen again in the future as long as my current circumstances remain. I will quite happily wear "irritated", "frustrated" "annoyed", "fed up" "out of patience" etc labels to describe my feelings towards such an attitude and approach to someone elses private property, but not "over-sensitive".

While I appreciate some owners don't give a damn about folk snooping around anything of their's, and will sell anything to anyone making good enough an offer. Having encountered others sharing my POV, I know I am not alone in finding the whole concept of attempting to obtain a dwelling or former dwelling by accosting the owner waving a cheque book, rude, disprespecful, offensive and very annoying.

Yet another thread which is turned around by unlinkedstudent and Ghostrider to being all about them. Shame there is not a filter system on forums.

pls, baggytrousers, justme and paulb - I thoroughly agree.

About time the mods locked this now.

Yet another thread which is turned around by unlinkedstudent and Ghostrider to being all about them. Shame there is not a filter system on forums.

Isn't that what everybody does whenever they post?!? By default any post reflects the opinions, beliefs, experiences and circumstances of the poster.

My original reply was intended as a stand alone reply to the OP's request, as I read it. Unlike religious fanatics I have no desire whatsoever to "convert" anyone. Whether the OP, or anyone else for that matter, chose to believe or disbelieve what I said, I really couldn't give a monkeys. It was their privilege to take from it whatever they felt like. End Of!

I had no intentions of posting here further, however when a small number of posters took it upon themselves, instead of simply, concisely and politely stating that they disagreed with or did not believe any of the contents of my reply, and/or providing facts/entering in to a constructive debate, to hand out insults and diminish my POV by attempting to create comedy from it. I felt I had no choice but defend my beliefs and myself.

Don't agree with me? That's fine. Don't believe me? That's fine too. Feel like you need to tell me and the world, and try and make me change my mind, that's cool too, but do the former with politeness and respect, and the latter backed up with reasoned argument and/or facts, not insults and derision, or I will bite back. That is what I do.

If this thread has in some way come to be "all about me", it has been driven there by those who have attempted to dismiss me because of what I believe and what opinions I hold with insults directed at me, instead of simply and politely stating they disagreed with me, and/or presenting facts/engaging in reasoned debate of the subject.

Insults I won't let stand, as to do so is simply cedeing to an opponent, who by default of resorting to insults has already lost any debate. Proven facts, reasoned debate, I will change my mind if they are convincing, insults, and I am NOT for shifting!