Derelict Houses

Angel

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the life of me, I can't understand why some folk have taken such objection to a straightforward and friendly question!

In answer to Angel's original post....

Does anyone have any idea on the laws etc of derelict houses? Me and my partner have seen a house that we have fallen in love with, it has clearly been empty quite some time and is in need of a lot of repair,renovation and love, it looks like 2 old croft houses which have been joined to make 1. I contacted the SIC to find out if theres anyway of finding out who owns it, all they could say is ask the nearest neighbour.

I was in a similar situation - I saw a house I took a liking to that appeared to be vacant. I asked at the local shop (which was several miles away) and a kindly lady pointed me in the direction of someone who lived nearby. I nipped along and politely enquired. It turned out that the house belonged to a deceased relative and was indeed vacant but they had plans to renovate it themselves. They were more than helpful and took my number just in case. We wished each other luck and off I went!

On the other side of the coin, I ended up renovating another old house which I bought on the open market. It was in need of 'modernisation' and I spent several months gutting the place. During that time I had several people making enquiries (mostly people walking past, but a couple pulled up in cars) as to whether it was lying empty or if I intended on selling when works were complete. One person made me an offer which I seriously contemplated. I was more than happy to yarn to them and was quite flattered that people were taking an interest.

So, my advice would be to ask at the local shop and/or nearby houses and maybe the local postie. It might be an idea to pop a message through the letterbox too.

Good luck!

^^ None of your examples started the conversation by throwing the law around, like the OP. That is the subtle difference.....

You received a friendly reception and offered a friendly reception in your examples, that's cool, each to their own. I hope the OP receives and offers the same in their dealings. However, I have never and will never offer anything but an extremely hostile reception to anyone making this kind of approach to me, and I doubt I'm alone. I feel it only fair to warn the OP that this is the case.

Yep, Gerrorfmalaaand! What of it?!?

^ read into the original post what you will. As far as I understood it, Angel made a call to the SIC to see if they had any info and wondered if there were other 'proper' channels to be followed.

Does anyone have any idea on the laws etc of derelict houses?
....throwing the law around, like the OP.

:roll:

However, I have never and will never offer anything but an extremely hostile reception to anyone making this kind of approach to me, and I doubt I'm alone. I feel it only fair to warn the OP that this is the case.

Yep, Gerrorfmalaaand! What of it?!?

Perhaps you should simply be grateful that you live in such a desirable house. If somebody made an out-of-the-blue offer to purchase something I owned, I'd take it as a compliment.

Next to us is an empty house still habitable and needing only a little work........ but I have another point to make. What I object to is people (twitchers) hiding in my rotery clothes line to poke cameras at birds.

ok it only happened once. Right to roam is one thing and taken to logical end includes peering in empty house windows. Right to bird watch seems in Shetland to include making washing dirty.

good luck to the original poster I hope you get the infomation you need, we found SIC useless but very nice to talk to. crofters commision, well I think MI5 might be more helpful.

Next to us is an empty house still habitable and needing only a little work........ but I have another point to make. What I object to is people (twitchers) hiding in my rotery clothes line to poke cameras at birds.

ok it only happened once. Right to roam is one thing and taken to logical end includes peering in empty house windows. Right to bird watch seems in Shetland to include making washing dirty.

good luck to the original poster I hope you get the infomation you need, we found SIC useless but very nice to talk to. crofters commision, well I think MI5 might be more helpful.

you had strange men in your back garden with cameras and they dirtied your wahing. do you have a large dog. we had a stranger walking through our field last year why i dont know as it goes no where.

Came on for a glance at new threads and holy hell Ghosty and Unlinked you are loosing the plot big time and i agree with many posts on here, it is this kind of 'scrutiny' of every word people write that is strangling the Shetlink forums.

Unlinked, not for the first time you are out of line and Ghosty, we all know how prolific (and usually thoughtful) your posting is but on this occasion you are an obstinate ass.