What's it like living in Shetland?

merphi

I live in Florida and was wondering what is was like to live in a place so far north of me. The long summer days when it's light at 3 in the morning is fascinating, 8) but the long winter days of darkness is scary. 8O 8O :( What's it like to live here? Has anyone traveled to Florida before? :D

hi merphi, i've lived in shetland for 23 years and it's an amazing place to live. the only drawback to living here is the weather :( we can have 4 seasons in one day. and although it's officially summer time here it is blowing a gale. BUT i wouldn't ever live anywhere else. the people are fantastic(well most of them) and there is a sense of being secure here i certainly feel very safe. i have never been to florida but i keep telling myself that i will go there one day.

Were you born in Shetland? I would love the weather, the change of seasons in one day would be interesting. I love storms, wind and rain (weird, huh!) as a matter of fact I don't like the days here where there isn't even an single cloud in the sky - it's boring. I always want thunderstorms :):). What's it like during the middle of winter when it's dark all the time, does it ever get daylight in January? I've been looking at the Lunna House webcam everyday and when it's 10pm here, it's 3am there and it's already daylight (I like it when the sheep come in view of the camera). Florida gets pretty hot during the month of August - up to 95 degrees or so with a heat index of over 100 and very humid. Phew!! If you ever come to Florida, I'd be glad to show you the area. I want so much to visit the Scotland mainland and especially Shetland. My ancestors come from Aye and Aberdeen, Scotland and I abosolutely LOVE celic voilin music. Thanks for answering me back :):)

• 2 weeks later...

It never gets daylight in January, and with many on the outer islands still living in the past here knitting their scholls and collecting their seagull eggs, they live on candle light most winter as they still don't have electricity. Weve tried our best to give them it, but they don't like "outsiders". Now how they survive the winter, i'll never know... they must let the sheep in their one-roomed crofts at night to keep them warm.

/slap Corrolla :twisted:

we get about 6 hours of daylight mid winter.

To me shetland Is an excellent place to live one day adn then te next i was wishing i lived south.

It varies as quickly as the weather does :P

Yes....

been to St Pete's on holiday. Nice holiday and really enjoyed touring about. got as far as cape canaveral. that was in May as we understood it to be too hot in Summer and too many hurricanes. Have a relative in Florida but I think the weather is too extreme to live for him - too hot and then there's the hurricanes. Our Summer are usually warm enough and of coure we find it hot when it get over 65F. The darkness in Winter is not so bad. probably the consistently strong wind is the most difficult aspect. But the Gulf Stream makes it here so we don't get much frost or snow. Despite the earlier remark we are quite civilised here and our standard of living is as good as anywhere in the west

• 1 month later...

I like Shetland's weather (To an extent) it can be so bonnie, even after it rains and everything is such vivid colours.

When I'm away I always miss the wind, it's really refreshing and we were away in Japan and it was so humid and sticky that when we got back to Shetland it was so nice to be got in a freezing breeze again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Some people keep to themselves some people don't. I don't think Shetland is any different from anywhere else in that respect.

Nope. No interesting people left. Just us very uninteresting folks. :P

Lots of English born and bred people living in Shetland. If I look around at the houses surrounding me then there is probably at least a 50/50 split of Shetlanders and people that have moved here from outwith Shetland.

• 2 months later...