School closures back on agenda (2012 SIC cuts)

paulb

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

diffrent thing altogether. if a child has to board to complete there education then it should be part of the cost of educating them in halls. they claim it cost 200 quid a week per child to board them. thats a heck of a lot of money to find if say whalsay was to shut. roughly 16,000 per week just to board them. so say 40 weeks will cost them 640000 just in boarding costs.

i have 4 children in school at the moment and i could not afford an extra 100 a week. it will depopulate the areas affected.

Does anyone know what teachers get paid for maternity leave?

I was told that they get 1 year on full pay, and another year on half pay, before having to return to their work. I can only assume that another part time teacher will then have be employed to cover the class, which will mean 2 wages for the same job.

There must be a good saving to be made if they were paid the national standard. Its not as if they are poorly paid in the first place, so why should they get extra money that they are not really entitled to.

Does anyone know what teachers get paid for maternity leave?

I was told that they get 1 year on full pay, and another year on half pay, before having to return to their work. I can only assume that another part time teacher will then have be employed to cover the class, which will mean 2 wages for the same job.

There must be a good saving to be made if they were paid the national standard. Its not as if they are poorly paid in the first place, so why should they get extra money that they are not really entitled to.

^ Total non-sense ...

New regulations regarding maternity leave/pay became effective in April 2007. All teachers, regardless of their service, are now entitled to 52 weeks maternity leave. Those teachers who meet all the requirements of the scheme are entitled to 39 weeks maternity salary which is payable at a rate of:

4 weeks @ Full Pay

2 weeks @ 9/10th’s Pay

12 weeks @ Half Pay

21 Weeks @ SMP Only

So for all they are entitled to that 52 weeks of leave only the first 4 weeks are at full pay with a sharp drop there after

^ That is the minimum that they are entitled to, but do you know, for a fact, that they don't get anything extra from the council.

They guy who told me those figures is married to a teacher, and he recons that is what his wife was getting when she had her 2 kids.

Perhaps he was only trying to wind me up, or he is full of bullcrap. Can't be bothered to Google it, beacuse I have better things to do, mainly trying to murder a tune out of my new Mandolin, that I would now have to pay for if I wanted to be taught at school in Shetland.

they are now going to charge £25 a week for food for the children boarding. if they are there because there school was closed then parents are being expected to help fund their education. it may not seem much but if you have a few kids their it mounts up.

I swear they think that us folk on fair isle & other islands that use the hostel are made of money & have unlimited sources of income & it hasnt reached the stage where some of us are really struggling to afford to live here yet cannot afford to save & leave.

Add to that that some of us are going to have further punishment via the rework of single status wages, cuts in ferry hrs, loosing flights to the isle etc.

It really is starting to look like someone sounded the death bell for the small isle's. The effects these cuts could have on fair isle and other islands could spell the death of them.

they are now going to charge £25 a week for food for the children boarding. if they are there because there school was closed then parents are being expected to help fund their education. it may not seem much but if you have a few kids their it mounts up.

But during that joke of a "consultation" the Blueprint thingy, they refused to answer questions about hosteling costs as "they are covered by the Scottish Government" and therefore weren't allowed to be concidered when discussing "savings". Transport costs were also not to be concidered as they were not from the Education Budget.

My personal opinions reguarding the closures I know are not popular so I wont bring them in to the discussion. But one thing that does concern me, is the excessive commute. Children who commute for an hour or more are put at an educational disadvantage. Even a ten minute car journey has marked influence on the ability of a brain to function in earlier lessons. (I'm afraid I canna be ersed tae find the studies tae quote). This also applies to the ability of the brain to study after a long journey home. Some children already find themselves traveling for over an hour by 3 seperate buses with sometimes quite a cold and lengthy wait inbetween.

oh i agree long packed journeys are not good for the children. just had a quick relook at the blue print for secondary education if they are aiming to remain in its framework sandwick needs to e very worried if baltasound aith and whalsay and not forgetting the skerries are to close. they do throw the odd transport cost in roughly 125k.

I swear they think that us folk on fair isle & other islands that use the hostel are made of money & have unlimited sources of income & it hasnt reached the stage where some of us are really struggling to afford to live here yet cannot afford to save & leave.

Add to that that some of us are going to have further punishment via the rework of single status wages, cuts in ferry hrs, loosing flights to the isle etc.

It really is starting to look like someone sounded the death bell for the small isle's. The effects these cuts could have on fair isle and other islands could spell the death of them.

Maybe the RSPB could chip in with some cash for the folks in Fair isle as it is them that decides who gets to live there. maybe they could also repay the cost to the council of the bird club recently built there. just a thought

Maybe the RSPB could chip in with some cash for the folks in Fair isle as it is them that decides who gets to live there. maybe they could also repay the cost to the council of the bird club recently built there. just a thought

Fair Isle is owned by the National Trust for Scotland - living on the island has nothing to do with the RSPB.