School closures back on agenda (2012 SIC cuts)

paulb

De-centralise i think is the solution.With the huge investment from the SIC in building secondary schools at Sandwick, Brae, Aith and Scalloway, along with the leisure centres built next to them, why not close the AHS in lerwick and bus the pupils out to these schools which are fit for purpose.Simples. Support these schools rather than just close them, as has already happened to Scalloway. Save millions by closing the AHS and not building another one.

Genius. Seriously.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I agree! The more you think about it, the more sense it makes, in so many ways.

Play by play (or indecision by indecision) on the cuts can be found here...

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/3347-sic-budget-cuts-live.html

Seems a bit of a shambles...

Hard to believe that the immediate financial future of Shetland is hanging in the balance of a meeting where they are most of the way through the first item yet haven't decided on a voting system!

It would be laughable if it werent so serious.

I can't believe that what i am reading from the live feed on the shetland news website is actually a council meeting.

I have never been to a council meeting, but if this is how they are conducted then it is no wonder that shetland is in the mess it is!

Every single person that is in the meeting at the moment is supposed to be well rounded educated people, but all i have read so far is complete drivle. The meeting should be stopped as they are not actually capable of holding a meeting.

De-centralise i think is the solution.With the huge investment from the SIC in building secondary schools at Sandwick, Brae, Aith and Scalloway, along with the leisure centres built next to them, why not close the AHS in lerwick and bus the pupils out to these schools which are fit for purpose.Simples. Support these schools rather than just close them, as has already happened to Scalloway. Save millions by closing the AHS and not building another one.

LOL ! Yeah that would put the wind up the town hall...."What do you mean , Close LERWICK schools ???? and b.b.bus them where ??? Unheard of , madness ,full consultation needed , no expense spared. LOL

Its right enough though , millions have been spent on country schools a few years ago , what happens to these buildings now ? They all have to be maintained , or sold. But who would buy them , and for how much ?

I dont believe this new lerwick school will ever get off the ground if its left up to the sic and until it does hundreds of bairns will be made to struggle on in a delapidated semi derilict monstrosity and recieve a poorer eduction that they have had at their own schools........while the insigators of this hellery , the ones with big leather chairs the shape of their arses , sit back on the same grossly inflated salaries and future pensions and dont give a toss..................well done sic , what a legacy you will leave our future generations.

When I first read this I thought it was a bit of a joke but the more you think about it the more it makes sense. The country schools are all in good condition whereas the Anderson is in dire need of rebuilding. Also why is it any more feasible to bus bairns in to Lerwick from all over Shetland rather than from the toon to the surrounding schools? I'm sure it would do the bairns good to be educated in smaller communities as well. Having gone to Scalloway school one of the most important parts of the education there was the great connection to the local community.

I can't believe that what i am reading from the live feed on the shetland news website is actually a council meeting.

I have never been to a council meeting, but if this is how they are conducted then it is no wonder that shetland is in the mess it is!

Every single person that is in the meeting at the moment is supposed to be well rounded educated people, but all i have read so far is complete drivle. The meeting should be stopped as they are not actually capable of holding a meeting.

According to Wikipedia, the population of the City of Aberdeen was 212,100 in 2005 and there were 43 council seats. That equates to 1 councillor per 4933 members of the public.

If the same ratio was applied in Shetland, we would end up with about 4 or 5 councillors. Think of the advantages...

- fewer Councillors

- greater accountability

- greater pressure on Councillors to convince the electorate of their values and abilities to do a good job and therefore most probably result in a higher calibre of Councillor

- BIG saving to the public purse

- much less hot air!

That is all to do with the Boundary Commission. There are various trigger points, it all about 10% if I remember right. Once a certain level of wards exceed this, either over or under, the BC can come in and re- address.

With so few Councillors, they would need to be on that many panels and committees that the personal and prejudicial interests could make it, well probably will make it unworkable. The current rules may not make it happen.

There are differences with a City Council and Borough, as there are with Counties and divisions and parish.

our son attends Baltasound. It is an excellent school.

What I wonder is how many parents would be willing to help set up a free school if it or others were closed??

instead of complaining it is time for campaigning.

I doubt it would be cheaper to close out lying schools. transport, boarding costs and extra special needs staff would swallow any savings. It would also destroy families and communities.

they are now going to charge £25 a week for food for the children boarding. if they are there because there school was closed then parents are being expected to help fund their education. it may not seem much but if you have a few kids their it mounts up.

But surely if they were staying at home and going to a local school the parents would have to find money to feed them every day?