Shetland's Future?

MagnieSinclair

Where do you want Shetland's constitutional future to lie?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want Shetland's constitutional future to lie?

• As part of the UK (as currently formed)
    • As part of the UK (with Scotland an independant country)
    • As part of an independant Scotland
    • As a Crown Dependancy of a post Scotland UK
    • As part of Norway
    • As an independant country

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insufficient Data!. I want to vote with my mind rather than ticking whatever box my heart might say is best at the moment. Need to know what the Scottish Government proposes for an independent Scotland (including what plans there are for people to move to the rest of the UK if that is their wish). Need to know if independence is on offer for Shetland (or Shetland plus Orkney). Need to know what Westminster would offer us as a Crown Dependency. Need to know if Norway (or Denmark) have any interest in taking over Shetland. And I reckon that without the oil none of them would want us.

Or how about a button for;

'no one can tell me what any other option, other than what we currently have, will really mean to me, so I can't make an informed decision'

You might as well have 'become a member of the United Federation of Planets' as an option on here as I'm pretty sure more folk would know the impact that would have rather than any of the one's selected.

Where's the "who gives a toss" button?

Fair point but, imho, you should 'give a toss'. We may(?) eventually be in a position where we may(?) hopefully be rquired to make an informed decision that will affect all our futures.

Personally, I don't fancy being a part of the UK's or Scotland's future. as neither seem to consider the wants and needs of 20,000 people 'hanging on a rock in the North Sea' as being particularly important. Some degree of self determination is essential in order to properly protect our futures.

Did anybody hear Radio Shetland's Public Platform on Thursday night?.

The Councillors were Gary Robinson and Laura Baisley.

Somebody(no, not me) phoned in the question of if Shetland should return to Norway in the event of an independant Scotland.

As much as the presenter tried to belittle it(there's a surprise) she got her comeupance when both councillors were surprisingly serious and fair about it with Laura Baisley saying she would go along with a referendum and Gary Robinson, whilst saying he didn't think there would be a great deal of support for it, felt that Shetland really needs to fight for a new and better constitutional arrangement.

part of norway!! ehh no thanks! i dont fancy there taxes! there import taxes are massive, buy a car there cost an arm and leg compared to here, double the price for Nissan Pajareo UK - Norway price!

stay as we are better the devil you know! does anyone really think the UK (london) is gonna give up its rights to oil in the north sea?

UK should stick togther and sort out the country as a whole not break it up into lots of small crapper countries!

part of norway!! ehh no thanks! i dont fancy there taxes! there import taxes are massive, buy a car there cost an arm and leg compared to here, double the price for Nissan Pajareo UK - Norway price!

stay as we are better the devil you know! does anyone really think the UK (london) is gonna give up its rights to oil in the north sea?

UK should stick togther and sort out the country as a whole not break it up into lots of small crapper countries!

Why focus on the taxes, if you look at Svalbard, dependent on Norway NO taxes.

But yes taxes are high in mainland Norway, but the average Norwegian work the fewest amount of hours to fill up a car with petrol, and the fewest to feed a family. In western europe.

But it is unrealistic to hope Shetland becoming a part of Norway, the Norwegians will want it but they want scottish friendship and business oppertunitys more.

Like the new conecting cabel from Norway to scotland that Alex salmond negotiated.

Guest posiedon

Another spelling Nazi here :)

engineer21

part [sic] of norway!! [sic] ehh no thanks! i [sic] dont [sic] fancy there [sic] taxes! there [sic] import taxes are massive,

My wife says I should elaborate because she doesn't understand the meaning of [sic] She thinks others might not.

So here goes.

Part of Norway! Ehh no thanks! I don't fancy their taxes! Their import taxes are massive.

From wiki.

A sic, added just after a quoted word or phrase (or a longer piece of text), indicates that the quoted words appear exactly as in the original source. The usual purpose is to inform readers that any errors or apparent errors in the copied material do not arise from transcription, i.e. that they are reproduced exactly from the original writer or printer. Sic is generally placed inside square brackets, [sic], and occasionally in parentheses or with italicization, (sic), [sic], etc. A sic may also be used as a form of ridicule or as a humorous comment, drawing attention to the original writer's mistakes.