Shetland's Future?

MagnieSinclair

Where do you want Shetland's constitutional future to lie?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want Shetland's constitutional future to lie?

• As part of the UK (as currently formed)
    • As part of the UK (with Scotland an independant country)
    • As part of an independant Scotland
    • As a Crown Dependancy of a post Scotland UK
    • As part of Norway
    • As an independant country

The one unlikely option listed in the poll is to stay as we are. It's less than a month since the Scottish independence row really kicked off in earnest and it has already reached a pitch of bitterness that's quite surprising. If it keeps gaining momentum for the next two years or more then Scotland and the UK Establishment will have talked themselves into a state of mutual unforgivingness that will make either an amicable union or an amicable end of the union out of the question.

The UK government will stop at nothing to preserve its supremacy and even the barest hint of Shetland wanting some kind of autonomy would be a trump card for them. By taking Shetland out of the equation before a referendum - giving us some kind of Crown Dependency status - they would be able to kill off the independence debate for a generation. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be prepared to chuck in a sizeable refund of oil revenues as well.

We'd have to be prepared to take the (heavily subsidised) ferry to Newcastle though - we wouldn't be too welcome in Aberdeen.

Maybe an alternative link to Bergen would be a better idea.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one unlikely option listed in the poll is to stay as we are.

Really?

I don't see any sign of any sort of local organised push for devolution?

Do you think a bunch of keyboard revolutionaries who spend their time bickering over grammar in a distant corner of the internet are going to change anything?

Clearly no-one's taking this seriously, there isn't even a facebook page for Shetland Devolution yet......

As for the folk who want to be part of Norway - why not just emigrate?

Fair point about apparent apathy.

What I was trying to say, though, is that it's really more a case of the UK as we know it changing than Shetland forcing a change. After another 2 years+ of the kind of arguments that are now flying back and forth between London and Edinburgh there won't be a Union as it is now - even if the independence campaign is a failure.

As I said, the level of bitterness emerging is quite a surprise, the dirty tricks have only just started and we've a lot more to expect before 2014. That alone will change the nature of the Union. Unless things calm down a lot - and there's no sign of that - there will be no going back to things as they are.

Whether we like it or not we are already a pawn in the political game.

It could of course be that the good people of Scotland (including Shetland) simply decide that the best interests of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and even Cornwall lie in a United Kingdom. Possibly even the best interests of the EU. So let us rush of to join Norway, Denmark or wherever just yet.

the reason i focus on taxes is because thats what most people complain about, fuel tax, road tax, vat.

the reason they work less for more is beacause they are a rich country with few people but from all the norweigens i know all working offshore, they certaintly dont drive brand new cars, have brand new houses.

just think many folks hold this notion that norway is the holy grail, yeah beautiful country ive seen most of it, but they have plenty of there own social problems too.

i hardly think we will become like svalbard! we have a better chance of becoming like Isle of Man

but mabye im wrong

Scotland would have to apply to join the EU if there was a split. There may be a possibility of a fast tracked application, I would guess that Kosovo may complain if they do. This would also mean that the remaining parts of the UK would then have a reduced vote in Europe and less representation.

I think the entity, UK, that joined EU would no longer exist. Therefore both countries would have to apply to join?

Now, this scenario would probably delight many English Tories who would be very against joining EU.

So, English Tories in a dilema... not wanting to see one of their 'colonies' slip from their grasp, whilst very keen to see off EU... decisions, decisions ?

Dunno, the UK will be the united kingdoms of England and Wales, inc N. Ireland. Though Wales is a principality. You have to remember the Commonwealth countries will play some part in this.

I have not heard any comments about that except that Scotland would be the new country. There is no model for it so it will be all new. It would delight Ukip, they already think it is a farce and turn up at the meetings drunk looking and on strong painkillers.

Dunno, the UK will be the united kingdoms of England and Wales, inc N. Ireland. Though Wales is a principality. You have to remember the Commonwealth countries will play some part in this.

I have not heard any comments about that except that Scotland would be the new country. There is no model for it so it will be all new. It would delight Ukip, they already think it is a farce and turn up at the meetings drunk looking and on strong painkillers.

Sorry, but I do not recall other countries being involved in the Act of Union ?

Commonwealth ? What has that to do with this ?