Shetland's Future?

MagnieSinclair

Where do you want Shetland's constitutional future to lie?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want Shetland's constitutional future to lie?

• As part of the UK (as currently formed)
    • As part of the UK (with Scotland an independant country)
    • As part of an independant Scotland
    • As a Crown Dependancy of a post Scotland UK
    • As part of Norway
    • As an independant country

Scotland would have to apply to join the EU if there was a split. There may be a possibility of a fast tracked application, I would guess that Kosovo may complain if they do. This would also mean that the remaining parts of the UK would then have a reduced vote in Europe and less representation.

No, we wouldn't. we are already in the EU. I would be for a negotiated exit and joining EFTA instead. Mostly because of the Common Fisheries Policy. Yes, EFTA members have to conform sort of to EU rules without having a say in how these are formulated. But, they seem to do pretty well out of it.

Incidentally, the paper below is the first use I have found of the term 'rUK' - Sinclair uses it as 'remainderUK' although the current usage is 'rumpUK'. Such is the wonder of living language!

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/spp/publications/unit-publications/51.pdf

"One country with a bit part in the Scottish independence debate is Greenland. The example of Greenland is cited by those who wish to demonstrate that a newly independent Scotland would not automatically find itself outside the EU. The negotiations which led to Greenland's exit from the EC seem to imply that should Scotland wish to leave the EU, it would have to negotiate its exit."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic