33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

Just as a footnote, we have now been told that we are to have our training cut, we are loosing our ability to train internally as well, so less staff with less skills. We are all in it together. Just to add as well, I have had so far, about 6 pay cuts and am looking at another 3 or 4. We public servants have it so good. Come join us.

Peat posted :- " I have many roles and can fill many others, for your money you have someone who can drive a gritter, lay tarmac, lay kerbs, install streetlights, use cable identification tools, read and understand stat plans, make accidents safe, installs new lanterns, drive and operate a M.E.W.P. drive and operate a 22 T mobile lorry crane and clamshell, install traffic management of all types, save folks lives with first aid, sweeps the yard, recycles and rebuilds lamps, installs the most recent intelligent units and links them with remote control, delivery driver, second man, banksman, G38 operative, public liason, drive a loadall, completes paperwork and is punctual. "

Maybe so Peat, but can you catch and fry spoots ? :)

Paul has got it there. When I was in Traffic Management privately, I was on over £12 per hour, I had time and a half and double time, I also paid little tax as I was self employed.

Now, I am on just over £8 an hour, time and a third and time and a half, my take home pay with a little extra o/t is half.

If Auxiliary nurses ore on less than £6 an hour, it could be their age, otherwise the home your Mam is in is breaking the law. ...

But how many years ago were you in Traffic Management and what is the private equivalent now? I'm also factoring in other benefits such as paid sick leave in addition to SSP, holidays, flexitime working, pension and the like.

I was referring to care workers; mum is in a care home and not a nursing home.

apart from one care centre that deals with the more difficult to care for elderly all other care centres on shetland are just that. any nurse working in one is not allowed to use there nursing skills. any nursing is provided by the district nurses.

in the hospital the care staff un trained ie care assistant are being train in more advanced care skills. they will become a poorer version of the old enrolled nurse.

the care centre staff are excellent but they don't have the same level of training or skills. yet they recieve quite a better wage.

you really don't want any carers that are legally allowed to be paid 6 quid an hour. its not a job that is the best for a 16 year old. yes there are some that are excellent but it can be quite a difficult job. anyway this has gone way off subject.

As we know, a council is not a private employer. If the terms and coditions dictate a vehicle. That is it. As council employees are always the easy target when cuts happen, I wonder how many of the general public think twice about ringing a council to do a task that was once done by the residents in the form of a lengthsman or similar.

I wonder what the council worker has done to be subjected to this sort od sustained attack, as with any public worker. They do not get as well paid. I can personally vouch for that. The trouble with constantly attacking the public servants you may need to wipe your grannies bum, say, is generally the good guys get let go. Lower the wage, make it less atractive but tell folk the have to be happy or there is the door will not attract the best candidate. They could be like Tesco and take on J.S.A. claimants to work for free on the night shift. Happily, some large employers such as TKMax have opted out of this new slavery. There arre far bigger savings to be had. Firstly, folk have to be honest about paying tax. The last thing you will need is council officers setting themselves up as companies in ordr to avoid tax with the renumeration they get which seems to be the norm in London. Before subjecting your peers to punative measures due to some sort of perverted need to see the wee guy take the brunt of the situation we are told we are inperhaps more should get involved with the community spirit you so desperatly want.

SP, I have worked in both the public and private sectors during my working life. GONE are the days when many in the private sector earn more than their counterparts in the public sector. For example:-

Sick pay on top of SSP in private sector - zero

Flexitime in private sector - not many

Statutory entitlement to holidays - basic entitlement in private sector, no additional days for length of service.

Pension in private sector - don't make me laugh, non-existent (you organise your own).

Larger LAs also have subsidised staff canteens - now unless you work in a huge American bank in the City of London, I've personally seen a massive decline in such facilities within the private sector; oops, and private sector workers don't tend to get the good old fashioned lunch vouchers any more either.

Pay review every year/every few years - again, I know people in the private sector who haven't had a pay rise in over FIVE years.

Please don't say electricians/plumbers earn more - I've lost count of the friends I have in the private sector who have either been laid off in the last three years or have gone on a 2 day week. Face facts SP, Local Authorities are there to provide BEST VALUE to their customers, namely the local community and Council Tax payers. Would you rather cuts across the board were made or have a larger number of people laid off?

I'm not having a go at public sector workers; I'm having a go at the management....

Why aren't you having a go at the greedy bar-stewards running the private sector who have spent the last 30 years destroying private sector pay and conditions and creaming the savings off to line their own pockets.

I mean, if you really want someone to blame...

Why aren't you having a go at the greedy bar-stewards running the private sector who have spent the last 30 years destroying private sector pay and conditions and creaming the savings off to line their own pockets.

Because I wasn't aware the private sector were running the SIC. Yes, pay in the private sector has gone down but in case you hadn't realised, many of us mere peasants employed in said private sector are council tax payers.

I'm with you on there! the private sector have done nothing to keep up with the public, get on to them for falling behind.

I dont see why the Yellow vans seem to get on folks goat so much, i think there trimming the tops of the trees by cutting them, cleaners, cooks, and closing the junior youth clubs and all the other small jobs, its the top brass with there masive wages, where is where to hit and shed loads more money

Because I wasn't aware the private sector were running the SIC. Yes, pay in the private sector has gone down but in case you hadn't realised, many of us mere peasants employed in said private sector are council tax payers.

Well if BT Connect have anything to do with it, they will.

The pay for my old job is still the same or similar, I do talk to these folk.

The other downfall is my contract is very restrictive. I cannot get another job without express permission from HR, I cannot choose to do extra hours when I need to.

For your money when I did TM for the council, I installed Sector 12 a,b,c and d schemes, sat back and watched. The charges for TM are high, a basic Stop & Go set costs about £80 per man plus the standard £250 or there about. If I were to put in a lane closure on a 60 mph road you are looking at about £1250, a day. To leave one up over a few days incurred a maintenance charge and hire of the equipment .

If an employee does not train, he or she cannot complete their task in a safe and satisfactory manner. In house training does not always count. So the argument of no training, or little training in the private sector shows what a poor employer they are, if your argument is correct, it is probably.

I go to work to do what I am contracted to do and more. I expect to come home with all my digits, limbs and leak free. Failure to provide a safe system of work to protect employees is neglect. Also against the law.

The GOV will be forcing folk back into work, even folk diagnosed terminally ill, if their prognosis has stated they will be alive for at least 6 months. As proved in another thread, the attitude to force folk into work, with the possibility of very low wages (JSA Rate) will not help. This will only get folk there who have to be there, and not because they want to, with a few small exceptions.

That shows how your private companies think of their employees, it is, slave labour, if you withdraw your labour, you will be penalised, which is slavery.

No doubt there will be further pointless argument here, with folk trying to prove an obscure point.

It is not about an individual case, it is about the whole package and the gullible thinking we must do this to save what is a very very small percentage off the countries total spend. As I said, it is easier to hammer the poorer of society, especially as you remove the right to a fair trial and tribunal via the removal of legal aid. It is easier to whip up enemies of the state, while the real villains sit behind the sheen of their non-elected titles telling folk that is how it is, meanwhile, Vodaphone get away with paying what is owed, Goldman Sachs, many oil companies and now it seams GOV employees.

The very fact that the GOV had to bring in a minimum wage shows the levels employers would go to make a profit. The sad thing still, is that a 25 year old can still be paid £2.60 an hour, legally. So, if all these companies like Morrisons call their jobs on offer an apprenticeship, then they only have to pay the minimum of £2.60 for the first year. I have no idea what the GOV will have to pay in order to let that person work and to make sure he or she can bring up their children, the cost of child care and every other benefit. To me, that means the tax payer is subsidising these national and multi-national companies.

I wonder, if the council did say cut staff by a fifth, would there be jobs for them, will the oh so generous private sector step in to take the social baton that is full employment, only if it profits from the grants it seems from national GOV. They will probably have to claim benefits, they will have to buy the cheap crap food from Tesco and if any sense leave the islands to search the wider market.

On the subject of proposed savings - can anyone tell my why the Viking Bus Station costs £68k a year to run? There is only 1 attendant employed..

Does the SIC not charge rent to the bus companies using Viking Station then to recoup some of the running costs?

For your money when I did TM privately for the council, I installed Sector 12 a,b,c and d schemes, sat back and watched. The charges for TM are high, a basic Stop & Go set costs about £80 per man plus the standard £250 or there about. If I were to put in a lane closure on a 60 mph road you are looking at about £1250, a day. To leave one up over a few days incurred a maintenance charge and hire of the equipment .

Missed the privately.

Apologies.

On the subject of proposed savings - can anyone tell my why the Viking Bus Station costs £68k a year to run? There is only 1 attendant employed..

Does the SIC not charge rent to the bus companies using Viking Station then to recoup some of the running costs?

A simple search would indicate that they do have an income. You can search the audit files the council has on line for this information.

You can start here www.shetland.gov.uk

Suspect there might be more than one anyway and things like employers national insurance contributions need to be added to the wages bill. Then there is electricity, water and sewerage charges and probably business rates. Certainly the bus station has an assessed value for business rates. Not forgetting insurance. Chuck in some maintenance costs and of course the cost of toilet rolls and cleaning materials. The add a sum for admin costs and I am sure the £68k can easily be proved as the cost of running the facility.

But of course there is an element of smoke and mirrors here. Close the bus station tomorrow and there will not be a £68k saving. No compulsory redundancies remember so there is still the wage bill. And whatever is allowed for admin will not suddenly vanish from the SIC's overall costs. Even a good proportion of the toilet rolls saved will just be used in other council conveniences.

I'm sure the town bus is two Separate busses. One goes one direction on the half (quoys direction)he and the other Goes the other direction on the hour(Stanley hill direction)

No, it's 1 bus. It runs the North route (Staney Hill) on the hour and the South route (Quoys etc) on the half hour.

The only time there are 2 buses is at lunch time.

Ah see I didnt know if it was one or two busses as I only ever use the Quoys bus. I knew about two at lunch time I have mistakenly gotten on the wrong one! haha

This could increase by another (one-off charge) of 5-6 Million, if the LPA wins its case against the SIC....

This being for the Bressay Bridge that no-one has ever seen, or will ever see :roll:

£33 million + £4.8 million = £37.8 million, better start looking down the side of the council sofas for loose change.

Had this been a private business that had lost £4.8 million though sheer mismanagement, someone would be joining the ever lengthening dole queue.

[infiltrator

Had this been a private business that had lost £4.8 million though sheer mismanagement, someone would be joining the ever lengthening dole queue.

They shoud be joining the ever lengthening prison queue !

Yon wid a bought a lok a denners fur da auld folk ,in mair besides :shock: