33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

I also wonder why a contractor is doing the work rather than the council's own workforce who, I presume, will be facing redundancy as council cuts start to bite.

This has been mentioned at quite a few meetings if you look at the minutes on the council website (not this particular case, but similar scenarios).

The concern was that since the council wants to reduce the wage bill, they can do so by employing contractors as that money will come directly from the allocated budget.

So, it may actually cost the council more, but the wage bill looks better. Another glaring example of why the cuts need to be looked at as one whole package, not via individual departments/services.

So, it may actually cost the council more, but the wage bill looks better. Another glaring example of why the cuts need to be looked at as one whole package, not via individual departments/services.

Any examples with figures?

That is the cost of own staff, inc holiday pay, sick pay, NI contributions, training (to install some of the more complicated apparatus and training required to use all the machinery required), transport, machinery, pensions, administration, insurance and bank charges against a bid from a contractor.

It could be something you could write a letter about Spinner if you have those details. You only have to ask. :wink:

^^ People with much more knowledge than me raised it on and individual case basis as you can see reading the minutes from some of the initial meetings.

The crux of my point was that this need to be expanded to cover the situation as a whole with these up coming cuts. As with the gritting/social work link I mentioned and plenty of others similar. A saving is only a saving if it doesn't cost another service more, or doesn't lead to more expense in the long term as cuts in maintenance normally do.

I fail to see how anyone can make a balanced decision if they are only dealing with a few proposals at a time.

^^

Agree that consideration needs to be given to whether a cut back is likely to cost the council more by shifting some part of the 'fall out' to another Department or agency, however, it is highly unrealistic to wait for the detailed cost analysis of every cut proposal before making decisions. There are enough highly experienced and competent people in the council to make basic decisions about at least the viability of proposals and then it really is down to the Council Members to apply the 'midder wit' element as a check and balance on any poorly presented or considered proposals.

Simple fact is, the SIC needs to be pretty aggressive about cut backs and stabilise the finances otherwise it will be much much worse on years to come.

Edit: i should add that these contractors that have left the roads in a poor state of repair have usually been hired by private companies such as Hydro and Scottish water not the council

Then surely it is the company who hired them that are liable for the repairs.

you would think so but it appears not to be that simple. I dont know where the issues is or if it is a mistake or what ever it is.

I would suggest that not obtaining detailed information can render the council liable. An impact assessment has to be made. This is where the UK GOV messed up in 2010, they did not do one, or an impact assessment. The assessment details any group of society who will suffer more than others due to the proposed cuts. Being aggressive will not work on its own. The councillors can only make a choice on the information that is presented to them, if they do not know that they could ask for more or fail to realise they need to ask for more they would then be doing the public a disservice. It can be a daunting task for some, others can take it in their stride, it depends on backgrounds and experience. It can also take a while to get the facts and figures, especially as there are fewer officers at a level to work on those facts. This also highlights the reason to keep skilled officers, it is they who have the knowledge, knowledge that could be sold to another council or provider in the form of a job. Leaving S.I.C. at a loss. You always have to keep in mind that these "cuts" are a choice of a few. As we know, there is far more owed in tax and as much if not more avoided in paying taxes. I agree there needs to be a continual assessment of services.

As with the roads....

It does not matter who did the work, the work is generally guaranteed by the contractor or agents for 6 months, after that, any faults that develop become the responsibility of the Council. I have not come across a council that will inspect such works at regular intervals within the 6 months, more cost cutting maybe. This is where the public have to be on the ball and report these matters, after all, it is "your" money that will have to fix it. Again, people need to get involved.

They can pay off every manual worker that the SIC employs but it still won't be ebough to balance the books.

It's just a shame that it's the poorest manual workers(road workers, street cleaners - even as previously mentioned in some posts etc) who are facing the axe first along with the basic front line services they provide rather than the over-bloated office side of things.

It's just the usual though - cut from the bottom at whatever expence in order to protect the middle and top.....

It's just the usual though - cut from the bottom at whatever expence in order to protect the middle and top.....

The restructuring done over the last year was restricted to top and middle management levels.

I heard that over the last 18 months the SIC staff numbers have been reduced by around 200.

Yes, and most left with sizeable retirement packages while many lesser mortals who wanted to get out were refused......

If you've been earning £40,000+ per year for, say, 10, 20 or 30 odd years I guess you can afford to bow out, unlike the many manual workers who are on little better than £16-18,000 per year......

I'm afraid it still doesn't change the fact that many manual workers are probably facing eventual redundancy after suffering a thousand cuts along the way.....

^^^^

Well Kavi, old Joe Stalin had it right - just pay everyone the same lower wages and then the politics of envy won't creep in and we'll all be equal under the state. Frankie is right, a lot of cuts have already fallen in the middle management level and there are more to come. It's not correct to say its only the lower paid. How much do you think a ferry crewman gets paid and is that low pay? Don't think so.

One sure way to save a significant amount of jobs is for everyone to take a pay cut of 10% - and the top earners will lose more than the bottom. I would even go further and suggest that only those above a certain (lower) level of wage should take a 10% cut, thus protecting the lowest paid who are shouldering the biggest proportion of the nations debt. The biggest SIC cost is staff so it has to start to impact on either numbers or wage costs soon so lets bite the bullet and stop wingeing

They sweep the street because folk are happy letting them, that is, they throw food waste and other waste when they have done with them.

A few more litter bins would help. I've lost count of the number of times I couldn't see one anywhere when it was needed. (No, I didn't drop my brukk on the road!)

I'm afraid it still doesn't change the fact that many manual workers are probably facing eventual redundancy after suffering a thousand cuts along the way.....

Hopefully this statement is garbage too.

Well, if you're going to refer to my comments, which are based on what I know, as "garbage" then there's little point in discussing this further with you.

The ones who are calling for cuts in the basic services as mentioned will probably be the first to pick up the phone and complain when their street is strewn with litter....

When I say manual workers/poorly paid I'm refering to cooks, road workers, school cleaners, street cleaners, essy kart men etc. I am well aware that the ferry workers are on a good system and pay.

The crux of my point was that this need to be expanded to cover the situation as a whole with these up coming cuts.

How about we bring in a large team of consultants to look at this for a couple of years?

The brown smelly stuff has now hit the rotating windy thing and it's action that's needed.

Taking the review everything and consult everyone approach will lead to too little being done too late.

The council have already shown they're lacking the balls for what's needed by asking the public what they think they can manage without.

Hopefully this statement is garbage too.

Well, if you're going to refer to my comments, which are based on what I know, as "garbage" then there's little point in discussing this further with you.

Sorry, my comment was based on the vast majority of what I now read on this website.